FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Feb 5, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #827 of 1,895
Speaking of which, I think it's been said before, but does the X5 work even with Mac OS X's stupid hidden files? I remember seeing the Cowon J3 being plagued by issues from connecting it to Mac OS.

Work with?

The X5 has the ability to show all hidden files(and it does) in its Browsefiles?

And yes, you can set hidden files to show on Mac OSX and the X5 will show it.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #828 of 1,895
Speaking of which, I think it's been said before, but does the X5 work even with Mac OS X's stupid hidden files? I remember seeing the Cowon J3 being plagued by issues from connecting it to Mac OS.

Work with?

The X5 has the ability to show all hidden files(and it does) in its Browsefiles?

And yes, you can set hidden files to show on Mac OSX and the X5 will show it.

Mmk, cool beans.

The J3 pretty much got bricked after connecting it to Mac, so that's why I said "work." XD

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #829 of 1,895
The J3 pretty much got bricked after connecting it to Mac, so that's why I said "work." XD

I can confirm that that is true. Apple are stupid, stupid, stupid for dumping junk hidden files on everything, and it does temporarily brick the J3 when there's .ds_store files in the J3 root directory.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #830 of 1,895
Audiogarden seem to taking pre-orders for the X5, but the availability date is 2014-03-03

http://audiogarden.fr/fr/baladeurs-et-dap/67-fiio-x5-baladeur-audiophile-dsd-6953175760313.html

Less than a month tho

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #831 of 1,895
  Audiogarden seem to taking pre-orders for the X5, but the availability date is 2014-03-03

http://audiogarden.fr/fr/baladeurs-et-dap/67-fiio-x5-baladeur-audiophile-dsd-6953175760313.html

Less than a month tho

Audiophonics.fr has an availability date of March 5th and with all the positive reviews I just might preorder. Hopefully I can get my X5 by mid March at the latest...

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #833 of 1,895
  Still cannot get the library to update,formatted the disk and only added a few albums,music showing in browse files only.

Hey man
I had zero issues with two 64gb cards. I suggest this, take the cards out, reset to the factory default, update the library, check the cards on your computer for any problems, search for *.pdf *.jpg *.whatever on the card and delete those files, then put the cards back in the X5 and update the library.

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #834 of 1,895

Less than a month tho
checking out on a preorder it says shipping still free despite me being in Belgium.
Asked for a confirmation, because if that's the case I think I'm gonna go through them instead of the Belgian Fiio dealer Digimania.

Went to Digimania store in person to keep me posted about preorder wait list for the X5, also sent them a mail (3days now no reply). I feel guilty because it's at that store that I learned about the existence of portable amps, of stacks... Had thought hifi was only available at home. :) Discovered then that my Creative weren't all that, and that there was a whole new frontier out there. Then again my sense of guilty treason's mitigated when I remember buying the ATH-ES7 and Shure SRH-840 at 180 and 250 euros respectively haha! :rolleyes:

That's my moral dilemma. :xf_eek:. To pay 350euros to support a local shop with gratitude for what it led me to today (x5), or buy online cheaper.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #835 of 1,895
To pay 350euros to support a local shop with gratitude for what it led me to today (x5), or buy online cheaper.

The Fiio's going to cost 350€ everywhere in Europe, no? Although I saw that it was more expensive on the german Fiio site.

Then again, if mp4nation's going to sell it for 350$, then that is a pretty big difference.
Personally, I'd rather have a shop in my vicinity that can help me if I have a problem...

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #836 of 1,895
  Still cannot get the library to update,formatted the disk and only added a few albums,music showing in browse files only.

Triple check your tagging.  I've had zero problems - 2 different 64Gb cards.  Try a single album with really basic tags (Artist, Album, Genre, Track, Year).  Clear all the other tags.  Mp3tag is a great software program to get your tagging right.  Good luck.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #837 of 1,895
  @zenki14,
Great review....easy to read...very informative...not too long....
clapping.gif

@zenki14
Beautifull review.
Have you used also Fiio X3 in the past?

Thanks guys, it was a nervous task since it's my first review up on Head-Fi
smile.gif

And no unfortunately haven't tried the X3 in the past, so I cannot compare..  however I've read others commenting the X5 sound is a fairly big step above.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #838 of 1,895

Thanks guys, it was a nervous task since it's my first review up on Head-Fi
smile.gif

And no unfortunately haven't tried the X3 in the past, so I cannot compare..  however I've read others commenting the X5 sound is a fairly big step above.

The X3 is similar to E07K while X5 is similar to E12 (but a bit warmer and more for forgiving than it).

Thankfully FiiO went with that sound for the X5. There were some sonic inconsistencies I didn't like about the E18.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #839 of 1,895
How do you keep the X5 going without stopping? I am running mine in and when I come back after a few hours it is off. I have it on the circle for repeat but it appears to just play the one album and stop. 

edit: I figured it out, It was timing out. 

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #840 of 1,895
  How do you keep the X5 going without stopping? I am running mine in and when I come back after a few hours it is off. I have it on the circle for repeat but it appears to just play the one album and stop. 

You may not have the repeat option set correctly. In the sense that the icons are a bit confusing. I never remember the icons for the symbols and so I just goof around until I find the right one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back