FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Mar 14, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,606 of 1,895
There is something to be said for having a limited, finite amount of music on me.
It makes me listen to music I might not normally do. And introduces me to new acts.

If I had everything on me I would probably chose my favourite artists each time.
Maybe it's a generation thing , I listen to whole albums from start to finish and I notice most "youngsters" dip in an out of albums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #1,607 of 1,895
There is something to be said for having a limited, finite amount of music on me.
It makes me listen to music I might not normally do. And introduces me to new acts.

If I had everything on me I would probably chose my favourite artists each time.
Maybe it's a generation thing , I listen to whole albums from start to finish and I notice most "youngsters" dip in an out of albums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be right about the generational thing, or it might be a trend that's related to newer music. I'm not entirely sure why, but what you're describing is something that I do with modern music, whereas I'm more likely to listen to older albums start to finish. I don't listen to a single track at a time off of, say, Ella and Louis (probably my all time favorite album). But I do if I'm listening to something along the lines of Ke$ha (I love me some Ke-dollar sign-ha). That said, my new/old music theory falls apart when I listen to Norah Jones, so perhaps it's more genre related, which might make more sense.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #1,609 of 1,895
For those asking if I need to carry around all of my music, the answer is no, but the answer to do I need to carry around any of my music is the same. For me, it's very frustrating because the technology clearly exists, so I'm not sure why we have these artificial stops preventing us from doing it. I mean, it seems kinda strange to me that the FiiO X5 will support 512GB of storage but then have a limit on the number of files that it can hold that isn't directly related to that same storage capacity. Keep in mind this conversation isn't even considering the fact that I'd like to keep everything lossless..

I've been searching for this great mythical unicorn of a player for the better part of a decade (I started life with a 60GB Creative Zen Xtra and upgraded it to127GB long after it was passé to not have an iPod). Currently I'm running an iPod with a 240GB drive and Rockbox, but haven't been terribly impressed with its stability. Really I just want the perfect device for my needs and the FiiO is coming so close, but missing by just the smallest, but hugely frustrating margin. I'll still buy the device because I think it's still going to be the best option even if I have to browse folders, but it seems like this would be something easily fixed that wouldn't have much of an impact on the final cost or design. I wouldn't have any problem paying $100+ extra for this either. Ultimately I hope this is something FiiO will consider.

As for the logic of having less music on your player somehow enabling you to listen to more music, that seems slightly flawed to me. I'd much prefer to have everything there for when the mood strikes me. Not to mention, I can put it on shuffle and not hear the same song twice in 3 months.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #1,610 of 1,895
For those asking if I need to carry around all of my music, the answer is no, but the answer to do I need to carry around any of my music is the same. For me, it's very frustrating because the technology clearly exists, so I'm not sure why we have these artificial stops preventing us from doing it. I mean, it seems kinda strange to me that the FiiO X5 will support 512GB of storage but then have a limit on the number of files that it can hold that isn't directly related to that same storage capacity. Keep in mind this conversation isn't even considering the fact that I'd like to keep everything lossless..

I've been searching for this great mythical unicorn of a player for the better part of a decade (I started life with a 60GB Creative Zen Xtra and upgraded it to127GB long after it was passé to not have an iPod). Currently I'm running an iPod with a 240GB drive and Rockbox, but haven't been terribly impressed with its stability. Really I just want the perfect device for my needs and the FiiO is coming so close, but missing by just the smallest, but hugely frustrating margin. I'll still buy the device because I think it's still going to be the best option even if I have to browse folders, but it seems like this would be something easily fixed that wouldn't have much of an impact on the final cost or design. I wouldn't have any problem paying $100+ extra for this either. Ultimately I hope this is something FiiO will consider.

As for the logic of having less music on your player somehow enabling you to listen to more music, that seems slightly flawed to me. I'd much prefer to have everything there for when the mood strikes me. Not to mention, I can put it on shuffle and not hear the same song twice in 3 months.

You can always spring for the AK240 at $2.5k if you want more storage - that will top out at 384GB. DMinor has been able to cram a 480gb SSD into an ipod classic - you may want to ask him about that. If that doesn't suit you, keep some extra microSD cards on hand with the rest of your music. Still not happy? Keep chasing the unicorn - what you want doesn't exist.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #1,611 of 1,895
You can always spring for the AK240 at $2.5k if you want more storage - that will top out at 384GB. DMinor has been able to cram a 480gb SSD into an ipod classic - you may want to ask him about that. If that doesn't suit you, keep some extra microSD cards on hand with the rest of your music. Still not happy? Keep chasing the unicorn - what you want doesn't exist.

Definitely not interested in spending $2.5k for a portable music player. Hell for that price I'd probably just buy 2-3 of the FiiO X5 and split my library accordingly. As for the 480GB iPod I just became aware of that when I was writing my previous post. Last I checked 240GB was the cap, so I've been out of the loop for a bit. I'm vaguely interested, although I don't really like the standard iPod interface and haven't been too impressed with Rockbox as I mentioned. I also did some brief reading and it looks like maybe there are some battery/voltage issues with adding the SSD. If it all worked well and didn't feel clunky, I might go that route. Overall though, it seems like the FiiO is steps ahead in pretty much every area with the exception of building out the full library. As far as chasing the unicorn, that is exactly what I will continue to do, likely with the X5 as a stopover in the meantime. I've actually considered trying to Kickstart something as I know plenty of software engineers and a few electrical/hardware as well. Doubt I'll ever go that far as I don't wish to rip anyone off/disappoint anyone, but the thought has been around for a few years.

I'm still absolutely baffled that we have the Toblerone player, but in the 7 years since the iPod Classic launched we've actually decreased storage capacity. Can anyone offer a valid argument as to why we don't/shouldn't have much larger storage capabilities??? Seems like cost isn't it since people will sell their first born to get the tech they desire. Can't be technology because the technology exists all the way around. Any ideas? I'm all ears as it were.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #1,612 of 1,895

you are right , it is about 25MB per sound track, but you can still use folder play to play the music.  sorry the build in RAM is limited so it is not unlimited .

That's really disappointing to hear (no pun intended) since I have been looking for a player that can support a large quantity of files for years and was hoping the X5 would be the perfect choice. I'm still going to get one since it still seems like the best option, but I'd definitely pay for a second revision that had more RAM and the ability for the library list to be more or less unlimited. Even at 256GB between two cards, that's nowhere close to being enough for all my music, even if I use MP3 format.

I'm still very excited though. Just keeping my fingers crossed for maybe a future hardware revision or updated model that has plenty of RAM to support this.

you can still use folder play to play all the music.  the limited is only valid for the artist, album and style playback 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 15, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #1,613 of 1,895
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 16, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #1,614 of 1,895
0.2dB steps with up to +-6dB adjustment range in 10 bands from 31Hz to 16kHz.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's allot of eq adjustment, right? I was told that a wide range of EQ would help compensate for my high frequency hearing loss (while I'm using IEM).  This would give me the green light to get some nice CIEM's like the Noble K-10's.  The X-5 has more precise and wider range EQ adjustment than the AK240, right?

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #1,615 of 1,895
just received the sample X5 from the tour, first impression: (in short) meh~

the rest I will write up in 10 days

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #1,618 of 1,895
What's your current source/setup?
Average , unimpressive, middling. Not great bit of a departure of the main stream really

new word to me too.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 17, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,619 of 1,895

new word to me too.

Quote:
  LoL what's mean meh~ :v

Meh is an English visual/auditory/text combination thing in where it gives the uses a visual image of saying the 'meh' phrase but in text format.

For the most part, it means something being not impressive as compared to what the person is saying 'meh' to. 

It's similar to the following:

When I saw her, I was 
bigsmile_face.gif

In where the emoticon face doesn't really say anything, it's just a coded icon. However it combines visual (and maybe auditory connotations) in replacing a text word or as a text format. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,620 of 1,895

Meh is an English visual/auditory/text combination thing in where it gives the uses a visual image of saying the 'meh' phrase but in text format.

For the most part, it means something being not impressive as compared to what the person is saying 'meh' to. 

It's similar to the following:

In where the emoticon face doesn't really say anything, it's just a coded icon. However it combines visual (and maybe auditory connotations) in replacing a text word or as a text format. 

Perfect illustration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i43Ie9inE6E

...but in the 7 years since the iPod Classic launched we've actually decreased storage capacity. Can anyone offer a valid argument as to why we don't/shouldn't have much larger storage capabilities??? Seems like cost isn't it since people will sell their first born to get the tech they desire. Can't be technology because the technology exists all the way around. Any ideas? I'm all ears as it were.

Oft asserted, but wholly inaccurate:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/686285/do-you-think-they-will-ever-make-a-portable-player-that-can-hold-250-gbs-for-large-flac-libraries#post_9897405

I find the ZX1 perfect for capacity. I have my lossless on the device, and I use my Google Music All Access pass to stream as much content as I please. Thus: no capacity limitation (other than the capacity of Google's servers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back