FiiO X5 firmware 2.4 download and discussion
Jan 31, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #91 of 209
Ok, I just don't get why people at this point think that exfat is important in any way. I think bugs like wrong track order of multidisc albums or damn slow scroll speed is much more important for Fiio to fix.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #94 of 209
then, it will come to x5 too, but after a long while...

i am not up to date with x3, sorry...

but, why?

i understood what it does, but as most people had said, you never have audio over 4gb, transfer rates are important only the first time you upload something, and as it is now, the player supports 2Xmicrosd, so 2X128gb right now...

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #96 of 209
Well for a sheer coolness

Most problems with all Fiio players are and have been memory card related. It is smart from Fiio to add support for different formats, even if they have to pay Microsoft.

The benefits of a file format over another is not really the focus. It's giving the user the best and easier experience. Take a memory card, load files, stick it on the player and enjoy.

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #98 of 209
Most problems with all Fiio players are and have been memory card related. It is smart from Fiio to add support for different formats, even if they have to pay Microsoft.

The benefits of a file format over another is not really the focus. It's giving the user the best and easier experience. Take a memory card, load files, stick it on the player and enjoy.

Granted, Microsoft is the last place to look for a solution to your problems, let alone pay them for it.
On the subject of user experience, Fiio is your address. FAT32 itself is supposed to be easy to implement and work with. I'm pretty sure most issues regarding scanning, folder management, files access and so on, are in the code that surrounds it. Now, nobody has seen the X5's source code - else we'd be fixing our problems ourselves, and much faster than Fiio - but I can imagine it's a mess. Some of the bugs I encounter on the X5 are preposterous. Results of lack of testing and attention, as if somebody was rushed to dish out solutions as quickly as possible.

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #99 of 209
  Granted, Microsoft is the last place to look for a solution to your problems, let alone pay them for it.
On the subject of user experience, Fiio is your address. FAT32 itself is supposed to be easy to implement and work with. I'm pretty sure most issues regarding scanning, folder management, files access and so on, are in the code that surrounds it. Now, nobody has seen the X5's source code - else we'd be fixing our problems ourselves, and much faster than Fiio - but I can imagine it's a mess. Some of the bugs I encounter on the X5 are preposterous. Results of lack of testing and attention, as if somebody was rushed to dish out solutions as quickly as possible.

I agree with your post, but it comes down to this, most if not all 64GB and 128GB microSD cards come formated with exFAT out of the box, and as have been stated many times in this forum, is not straight forward to format then to FAT32. This is a problem for a typical non tech savy user.

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #100 of 209

I agree with your post, but it comes down to this, most if not all 64GB and 128GB microSD cards come formated with exFAT out of the box, and as have been stated many times in this forum, is not straight forward to format then to FAT32. This is a problem for a typical non tech savy user.

It is quite easy if you use the player itself. It is just not easy for windows users. Even with most enduser-orientated linuxdistributions it is quite easy.

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #101 of 209
I'd like to throw in four wishes for firmware version 2.5:

1.  As most of you may know, music files with sample rates above 48 kHz can't benefit from the X5's equalizer, it's simply inactive with them. From what I've read it's not possible or problematic to change that, so I was looking for a workaround. And found it in pre-equalizing HiRez files on my computer before uploading them to the X5. Now the EQ is implemented in two versions: one for the HD 800 and one for the SE846. When the X5 plays in shuffle mode, it will eventually play the wrong file, i.e the SE846-equalized track with the HD 800 connected and vice versa. I think it should be possible to customize shuffle play in that you can exclude certain folders from it – session-wise and/or permanently. No?

2.  The song list in «Music» view is very long, and it takes patience to scroll through it. It would be cool if there was an option to jump through the alphabet (from A to B to C...) or alternatively to activate a 2nd (and maybe 3rd) gear. I know that I can have faster access via folder or category view, but most of the time I listen to music in shuffle mode and don't want to leave that. Possible?

3.  A useful feature would be a slowly fading out sleep timer. This would avoid the risk of waking up by the sudden silence.

4.  Sometimes I wish that pressing and holding the main menu button during music mode would bring me to the previously used menu point, let's say the EQ, so I wouldn't have to use the scroll wheel beforehand. I'm just speaking of the icon, not the EQ itself. I know: a luxury problem. Possible (and/or wished too by the majority)?

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #103 of 209
Ever since I upgraded to 2.4, mine has been freezing with FLAC, cue sheets and after doing new jpeg album art. I thought I'd followed all the advice for 500 x 500 dpi or less etc. to keep it from doing this, but it started after 2.4. Before it was fine.
I don't want to go back to 2.2, but I will if I have to

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #104 of 209
  Ever since I upgraded to 2.4, mine has been freezing with FLAC, cue sheets and after doing new jpeg album art. I thought I'd followed all the advice for 500 x 500 dpi or less etc. to keep it from doing this, but it started after 2.4. Before it was fine.
I don't want to go back to 2.2, but I will if I have to

re-flash 2.4

flash a custom theme?

flash 2.0 reset hole turn on, hard press power for more than 10 seconds, turn on, turn off, flash 2.4, it should work...

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #105 of 209

HELLO JOE BLOGGS AND FIIO DEVELOPERS! Thank you for releasing new firmwares for Fiio X5! Fiio is getting better and better. I have carefully tested new X5 FW2.4 firmware and found many bugs and interface inaccuracy. I hope it’s not a problem for you to fix all of them. I also have some suggestions how to make X5 even better. Joe, can you please comment my suggestions?

Bugs I’ve found in X5 FW2.4:

1. When I open folder with cue sheet and wav file it doesn’t show the album title from cue sheet on main display. Instead it shows “Unknown album”. When I open folder with cue sheet and flac file it doesn’t show the album title from cue sheet on main display. Instead it shows album title from flac file. I suggest when playing cue sheets albums (wav, flac, ape) to always show the album title from cue sheet. The same for track title and performer – always show it from cue sheet. If there is no track performer, show album performer from cue sheet. If there is no track title in cue file, show track number (Track 01, Track 02, Track 03). In FW2.4 if there is no track title in cue file it shows album title from cue sheet instead.

2. When I open folder with file in format wav (176.4 kHz / 24 bit, file size is 2.5 Gb) it doesn’t play and says “File format not supported”. I have a lot of live recordings that are larger than 2 Gb and they all doesn’t play.

3. When I play some flac albums in folder (bitrate 1100, compression 8) and change to next track it plays immediately but change the name of the track and file info too slowly, about 1-2 seconds (For example album “Dave Koz – Hello Tomorrow / 44.1 kHz 16 bit Flac)

4. When I play folder with cue sheet something is wrong when FiiO X5 change to next track. The first second of each track stutters. I’ve tested it on every album and its very annoying. On FW2.2 everything is ok.

Cosmetical enhancements:

5. In System settings - About X5 – “TF card 1 total capacity: 29.5 G” it’s better to change  to “TF card 1 total capacity: 29.5 Gb”. The other lines change the same way

6. In System settings - About X5 – “Total no. of songs: 1500songs” it’s better to change  to “Total number of songs: 1500” or “Total number of songs: 1500 songs” (with space after number 1500)

7. In System settings – Key-lock settings – “Lockscreen 1” there is no indent at the left side. I suggest to rename it to “Mode 1”, “Mode 2”, “Mode 3” to fit them nice

8. In System settings – USB mode “Storage / DAC” I suggest to align to right word “Storage” without space after it, like the “>” aligned to right to make it look better. The same in “Play settings – Resume mode – Last position”, “Power-on volume – Last setting”, make it all aligned to right without space at the right

9. On the main display I suggest to add a space between 44.1, kHz, / , 16 in “44.1 kHz / 16 bit”

10. I suggest adding a folder icon “Play through folders” in shortcuts and in “Play settings – Play mode” instead of a menu item “Play through folders - On/Off”.

When I want to “repeat only one folder” or “play one folder and stop” I have to change Play mode and after that go to “Play settings” and switch off “Play through folders”. It’s very inconvenient. It’s better to change play mode in shortcuts or in “Play settings – Play mode”

11. When I open folder with cue sheet it show track numbers this way: “Track01.WAVE”, “Track01.WAVE”, “Track01.WAVE”… even if the music file is in Flac or Ape format. It always shows “.WAVE”. I suggest to show the extension of original file format (Track01.wav, Track01.flac, Track01.ape). And to better understand that I opened folder with cue sheet I suggest to change the “folder icon / folder name” at the top of the list to “cue sheet icon / folder name”

12. When I open folder, then playlist in it, the font changes to small. It looks not so good. I suggest to open playlist the same way like it is a folder, but change a “folder icon / folder name” at the top of list to “playlist icon / playlist name”

13. In “Play settings – File name display – Track name display” I suggest to change to “Track title display – Track title / File name”

14. I suggest to rename “EQ:OFF” to “EQ:Off” at the top and in EQ menu. So it will look the same way like “EQ:Rock”, “EQ:Jazz”…

15. When I go “Play by category – Artist – All songs” it sorts and play all tracks by the artist alphabetically. I suggest to sort them in original album order so that it plays first album in original order, then second album and so on. Now it’s very inconvenient because if I have 5 albums with track named “01. Track name 1”, “02. Track name 2”, “03. Track name 3”, “04. Track name 4” and play All albums by Artist it always play first track of each album, then second track of each album and so on. It’s not interesting to listen in such order. Maybe it’s better to have an option in menu “Play all albums by artist – Album order / Alphabetical order”

Wishes to improve FiiO X5:

16. It will be very useful if you make equalizer work for any files 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz. Now it only works for 44.1 kHz.

17. It will be very useful if you make native DSD playback. Now when I play dsd files FiiO X5 always converts them to 88.4 kHz and in my opinion it sounds not so good as the same album converted on computer from DSD to PCM 176.4 kHz and played on FiiO X5. From digital output it would be nice to have a choice in menu to output in “DSD over PCM format”, or in converted to 176.4 kHz.

18. It will be very useful if you add an option in menu “Fast Roll-Off / Slow Roll-Off” to change digital filter mode of PCM1792. The same option has added the iBasso to DX90, and I very like to listen on DX90 in “Slow Roll-Off mode” most of the classical and jazz music. For now FiiO X5 only work in default PCM1792 “Fast Roll-Off digital filter mode” and doesn’t have an option to change it

19. In Play settings I suggest to add an option “Album art – On/Off” to enable or disable showing album art

20. In “Play settings” I suggest to add an option “Playlists – On/Off” to enable or disable showing playlists in folders

21. It will be very useful if you add in menu an option “Show Battery in percent – On / Off”.

Has anyone else tested the bugs 1,2,3 and especially 4 ? It's very annoing.

Please someone test these bugs and confirm so Fiio can fix them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back