Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Oct 20, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,478 of 2,614
  Any news about your new theme, @AsianInvasion?

Sorry for the significant delay in the theme. These are the main causes:
  1. The theme didn't turn out the way I wanted it to no matter what I tried. The limitations of the firmware made it impossible to make the theme I had imagined.
  2. I was overloaded with assessments and homework, which drained me of my free time.
  3. I became interested in creating DIY cables.

Due to the fact that I can't get the theme to satisfactory level, I think I'll leave it unfinished for now. However, I will be attempting to make a new theme within a month. It could be delayed depending on how busy I am, but I do have a solid idea for the new theme, so I should be able to finish it soon.

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #2,479 of 2,614

Sorry for the significant delay in the theme. These are the main causes:
  1. The theme didn't turn out the way I wanted it to no matter what I tried. The limitations of the firmware made it impossible to make the theme I had imagined.
  2. I was overloaded with assessments and homework, which drained me of my free time.
  3. I became interested in creating DIY cables.

Due to the fact that I can't get the theme to satisfactory level, I think I'll leave it unfinished for now. However, I will be attempting to make a new theme within a month. It could be delayed depending on how busy I am, but I do have a solid idea for the new theme, so I should be able to finish it soon.

I feel your frustration. Which is why I stopped making themes. Too many limitations resulting in limited creativity. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #2,481 of 2,614
I wonder if there are any themable lossless players in the mid- to high-range with a touchscreen. If so, that would be my next upgrade. But for now, I'll keep the X5.

Questyle QP1R has the exact same theme structure as the FiiO and Cayin DAPs. I opened the FW with the X5ii unpacking tools. No touch screen though.

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #2,482 of 2,614
Questyle QP1R has the exact same theme structure as the FiiO and Cayin DAPs. I opened the FW with the X5ii unpacking tools. No touch screen though.

I might theme the QP1(R) if Questyle releases their firmware on their website, but I doubt that I will buy one. The only gripe I have about the X5 is that it takes ridiculously long to scroll through lists of songs, even when spinning the wheel so fast that it feels like it will fall off.

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #2,483 of 2,614
I might theme the QP1(R) if Questyle releases their firmware on their website, but I doubt that I will buy one. The only gripe I have about the X5 is that it takes ridiculously long to scroll through lists of songs, even when spinning the wheel so fast that it feels like it will fall off.

QP1R uses the buttons to scroll a a page at a time, and the wheel to scroll one item at a time. I think this should be what FiiO adopts as well, at least it seems within reach.

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #2,485 of 2,614
  I just tried out the Hi Vinyl theme, but I noticed that on the Now Playing screen there is no colored picture of Pink Floyd, but a Black & White of them (not the same scene)

The original image is very large. Very very big. I couldn't compress it enough to fit into that size. After the video I had to adjust the theme. Works in B&W but was not working in color. I'll add a note to the YT vid. Might do another vid

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #2,486 of 2,614

Sound from the QP1R is stellar - whether custom themes are possible or not, I'm trading up - & likely won't be doing any more with the X5.

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #2,488 of 2,614
@theUKMrT: Same chip, so you can theme it using the same basic FW tools. Same goes for Cayin & Shanling's DAPs. Just cracked open the new Shanling M2's FW last night with the FW tools
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Good to know - the icing on an already extremely sweet cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back