Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
May 4, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #2,161 of 2,614
  Expect a new version of Harmony 3 soon with a better progress bar on now playing, better fast picking, topbar with icons, and a choice between topbar text and no topbar text. I just have to make the new topbar icons, then they'll be uploaded.

Edit: Uploading, will post them after someone else posts to avoid doubleposting

Thanks for this - the tweaked version should be great (I'm loving the new album art presentation)

May 4, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #2,162 of 2,614
Expect a new version of Harmony 3 soon with a better progress bar on now playing, better fast picking, topbar with icons, and a choice between topbar text and no topbar text. I just have to make the new topbar icons, then they'll be uploaded.

Edit: Uploading, will post them after someone else posts to avoid doubleposting

Yo, I'm down for that!

May 4, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #2,163 of 2,614
Harmony 3.1

A few changes:
  1. Improved topbar
  2. Improved legibility of fast-picking screen
  3. Modified progress bar in playing screen to be less obtrusive on the album art
  4. Two versions: One with topbar text, and another without.
  5. Slight modification to boot animation, nothing major

Topbar Explanation: The small two squares are the TF card indicators. Large left square is battery indicator.

Downloads

1. Here

Release notes:
  1. Name of the mod/theme: Harmony 3.1
  2. Version of the firmware: 2.5
  3. Languages: All

The usual information:
  1. Feel free to use this theme as a base for other themes
  2. I will take all feedback into consideration
  3. All graphics are made by me or are modifications of the original images by Fiio

Some info for other themers:
  1. Most images can be resized to be larger than their regular size, which can be interesting

May 5, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #2,164 of 2,614
  Harmony 3.1

A few changes:
  1. Improved topbar
  3. Modified progress bar in playing screen to be less obtrusive on the album art

Topbar Explanation: The small two squares are the TF card indicators. Large left square is battery indicator.

Downloads

1. Regular: Here
    1. ​Use if you prefer less stuff in the topbar.

1. With Topbar Text: Here
    1. Use if you prefer info such as EQ on playing screen.

Mirrors on Google Drive: Regular, Topbar Text

Release notes:

The usual information:
  3. All graphics are made by me or are modifications of the original images by Fiio

1. Most images can be resized to be larger than their regular size, which can be interesting

Now it is so much better!

This is one of elegant user interface!

I have much to learn from you, the way this is designed is very elegant.

May 5, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #2,167 of 2,614
  Harmony 3.1 is definitely much better. The white background of 3.0, even though it looks elegant on computer screen, is simply too glaring for old eyes like mine on the tiny X5 screen.

i had also thought about if a very weak shade of grey would be better than a pure white.

I was working at the project these days, and i totally lost the program that was great for editing the welcome startup file. i have no ideea how i lost it, but if anyone would be so good to post it's name again, i would be greatefull.

I tried searching for it, but no chance. i cannot remember it's name..

EDIT:: found it by reading all the last pages. it is pixelformer. 

May 6, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,169 of 2,614
  Harmony 3.1

A few changes:
  1. Improved topbar

Downloads

1. Regular: Here
    1. ​Use if you prefer less stuff in the topbar.

1. With Topbar Text: Here
    1. Use if you prefer info such as EQ on playing screen.

Mirrors on Google Drive: Regular, Topbar Text

Release notes:

The usual information:

Thank you AsianInvasion for this wonderful work of art!

I am new here to Head-Fi, to the X5, and to the new world of high-resolution audio for that matter. What can I say... I am coming out of the closet and embracing all the new and wonderful things about digital audio that I have all but completely ignored over the recent few years.

I must admit though, as much as I love Harmony in its elegance and simplicity, I had to delve into it and make a few tweaks for my own personal tastes. I wish I could share this with you, but at this time I am traveling in China and many of the Drop box, Google Drive, and other "sharing" websites are blocked and inaccessible to me at this time 
frown.gif
 . It was a quirk that I could download this in the first place.

Also, this is my very first post here. I cannot upload pics, unfortunately. So a meager explanation of my changes must do...

First of all, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I cannot see the little "tick" on the "Playing" screen to see whether I have already made the song a favorite or not. So I changed the color of the "tick" (the check-mark). I used the original orange-ish color from the X5 standard theme to make it a little bit more pronounced. Now I can see it just fine.

Second... I love my album art! Forgive me. I am old school. Like vinyl days old school. When artist(s) spent a lot of money just on album art to help define the (Vinyl) album (Iron Maiden's Eddie comes to my mind immediately). It still happens. A little. Anyway, I hated how the album art was restricted to the little shadowed rounded square on the "Playing" screen, don't get me wrong it was very well done, but to someone who loves the album art... it was a bit restricting. So... I opened it up. A lot. Just simplified your nicely shadowed rounded corner area to a little 2 pixel border. Worked out for my needs 
biggrin.gif

Then there are those screens that are just to white. For instance, the "charge" screen. I substituted the "white" bg.png for an expanded "playing" "default_bg" image. This toned down the theme quite a bit, and made it more reasonable for me to look at all the time. I did this for all the "white" background images.

Last, but not least, in my humble opinion. I didn't like the renaming of the EQ settings. So I renamed back to almost original. "EQ1", "EQ2", etc. just doesn't do it for me. I need a little more description.

Anyway... Love the theme! Even though I had to mod the mod 
L3000.gif

As a new X5 owner, I am loving everything about the X5 so far. I am sure there are better DAP's, but for a lot more money. For the money, the X5 cannot be beat. It sounds awesome! Performs as expected! There are features that I would like to see in future firmware's, but at the moment I cannot complain. The X5 far exceeds my near, dear and recently deceased MS Zune 120GB. One thing is for sure... I need a better set of IEM's/Phones. Sad it is to say, my current best set of phones is from Bose. I know, I know... forgive me, I am new to all of this "audiophile" tech that has exploded in the last few years!

The only that troubles me is having read the last few pages of another thread, and the mention of a X5II! I just bought my X5, and to learn there may be a a X5-2 out soon is a little troubling to my wallet.

May 6, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2,170 of 2,614

Thank you AsianInvasion for this wonderful work of art!

I am new here to Head-Fi, to the X5, and to the new world of high-resolution audio for that matter. What can I say... I am coming out of the closet and embracing all the new and wonderful things about digital audio that I have all but completely ignored over the recent few years.

I must admit though, as much as I love Harmony in its elegance and simplicity, I had to delve into it and make a few tweaks for my own personal tastes. I wish I could share this with you, but at this time I am traveling in China and many of the Drop box, Google Drive, and other "sharing" websites are blocked and inaccessible to me at this time 
frown.gif
 . It was a quirk that I could download this in the first place.

Also, this is my very first post here. I cannot upload pics, unfortunately. So a meager explanation of my changes must do...

First of all, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I cannot see the little "tick" on the "Playing" screen to see whether I have already made the song a favorite or not. So I changed the color of the "tick" (the check-mark). I used the original orange-ish color from the X5 standard theme to make it a little bit more pronounced. Now I can see it just fine.

Second... I love my album art! Forgive me. I am old school. Like vinyl days old school. When artist(s) spent a lot of money just on album art to help define the (Vinyl) album (Iron Maiden's Eddie comes to my mind immediately). It still happens. A little. Anyway, I hated how the album art was restricted to the little shadowed rounded square on the "Playing" screen, don't get me wrong it was very well done, but to someone who loves the album art... it was a bit restricting. So... I opened it up. A lot. Just simplified your nicely shadowed rounded corner area to a little 2 pixel border. Worked out for my needs 
biggrin.gif

Then there are those screens that are just to white. For instance, the "charge" screen. I substituted the "white" bg.png for an expanded "playing" "default_bg" image. This toned down the theme quite a bit, and made it more reasonable for me to look at all the time. I did this for all the "white" background images.

Last, but not least, in my humble opinion. I didn't like the renaming of the EQ settings. So I renamed back to almost original. "EQ1", "EQ2", etc. just doesn't do it for me. I need a little more description.

Anyway... Love the theme! Even though I had to mod the mod 
L3000.gif

As a new X5 owner, I am loving everything about the X5 so far. I am sure there are better DAP's, but for a lot more money. For the money, the X5 cannot be beat. It sounds awesome! Performs as expected! There are features that I would like to see in future firmware's, but at the moment I cannot complain. The X5 far exceeds my near, dear and recently deceased MS Zune 120GB. One thing is for sure... I need a better set of IEM's/Phones. Sad it is to say, my current best set of phones is from Bose. I know, I know... forgive me, I am new to all of this "audiophile" tech that has exploded in the last few years!

The only that troubles me is having read the last few pages of this thread. And the mention of a X5II! I just bought my X5, and to learn there may be a a X5-2 out soon is a little troubling to my wallet.

X5II might not be so close, do not be concerned.

Also, EQ1, EQ2 is in my opinion, not the best way to go around a problem. Mostly because even leaven them as they were, i can remember faster that i assigned classical EQ to a treble with less bass, or make such connections.

X5, is in truth, one of the best devices ever created!

May 6, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #2,171 of 2,614
I'll see if I can create a darker variant of the theme one day. Before that, I'll most likely give all of my older themes a refresh. When I do, I will revert the EQ labels.

I agree that the X5 is one of the best devices to be made. It serves as a DAP, USB DAC, USB DAC+Amp, USB to Coaxial converter, and a storage device, and it saves me from having to buy more equipment.

May 6, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #2,172 of 2,614
  I'll see if I can create a darker variant of the theme one day. Before that, I'll most likely give all of my older themes a refresh. When I do, I will revert the EQ labels.

I agree that the X5 is one of the best devices to be made. It serves as a DAP, USB DAC, USB DAC+Amp, USB to Coaxial converter, and a storage device, and it saves me from having to buy more equipment.

X5 is simply amazing, for it's price! I really have high hopes for the next thing Fiio is cooking!

Also, the thing you did, with adding little dots on eq sliders, is not really working, this is strictly my opinion, they are to small to see. 

Also, for me, when i go past the half up and past the half down on eq, i get 1 pixel delay of the slider, i have no ideea why. i am curious if this also happens to you?

May 6, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #2,174 of 2,614
  Harmony 3.1 is definitely much better. The white background of 3.0, even though it looks elegant on computer screen, is simply too glaring for old eyes like mine on the tiny X5 screen.

Agreed, I like it too  
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #2,175 of 2,614

Also, the thing you did, with adding little dots on eq sliders, is not really working, this is strictly my opinion, they are to small to see. 

Also, for me, when i go past the half up and past the half down on eq, i get 1 pixel delay of the slider, i have no ideea why. i am curious if this also happens to you?

I'll reduce the EQ dots on a later release. As for the pixel delay on the slider, I've never seen it happen. I generally don't use EQ on my X5.

A lot of people are saying the 3.1 has a darker background everywhere, but I haven't modified the background for any screen except fastpick between 3.0 and 3.1.
I usually have the brightness set to the notch right below halfway, and the lower brightness makes the screen easier to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back