Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Apr 29, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #2,117 of 2,614
+1 to internal theme switching on the X5............ X1 can do it.............

On another note.......... what is WRONG with me? I have another theme on the way. This one is a 'Classic'. Gonna be a while though as its 1/4 done and I got busy again.

Well heck...I'ma have to throw my hat in the ring too.
Same rotational text (same font)
Same minimalist top bar
Noooo idea beyond that.
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #2,118 of 2,614
One sideliner here.

I'd like to try some different themes, some of them screenshots here are looking pretty cool. But. Every time I download and install a theme (two so far, currently running Solar1, I like that one) it takes almost two hours to update the library.
I have two 64G cards, one is full to the hilt, the second one has around 20G on it, almost all FLACS. Update starts at a good clip then around 2500th song it slows down to molasses (~40 sec per song)

So if I don't like one theme and want to re-install back it takes 4 hours to do so. Is that normal behavior or am I doing something wrong?  
confused.gif

I haven't had a patience to monitor how many songs I actually have to be scaned by media update, but my guess would be around 6000. I have to admit that quite few files are a single single FLAC file per album (used with .cue file), but still not enough IMO to warrant 2 hour long media scan.

On DX90, after FW re-flash and using 128G card with same music content as on both X5 cards it takes whopping 6 minutes to update the library including Rockbox files with more than 20 themes pre-installed.

Something is not right here and I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

PS: No playlists at all, all running from folders.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #2,119 of 2,614
One sideliner here.

I'd like to try some different themes, some of them screenshots here are looking pretty cool. But. Every time I download and install a theme (two so far, currently running Solar1, I like that one) it takes almost two hours to update the library.
I have two 64G cards, one is full to the hilt, the second one has around 20G on it, almost all FLACS. Update starts at a good clip then around 2500th song it slows down to molasses (~40 sec per song)

So if I don't like one theme and want to re-install back it takes 4 hours to do so. Is that normal behavior or am I doing something wrong?  :confused:

I haven't had a patience to monitor how many songs I actually have to be scaned by media update, but my guess would be around 6000. I have to admit that quite few files are a single single FLAC file per album (used with .cue file), but still not enough IMO to warrant 2 hour long media scan.

On DX90, after FW re-flash and using 128G card with same music content as on both X5 cards it takes whopping 6 minutes to update the library including Rockbox files with more than 20 themes pre-installed.

Something is not right here and I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

PS: No playlists at all, all running from folders.

I also have 2 64GB cards, with 102GB in use, 4200 tracks. Takes about 2 minutes to update.

I just flashed a theme, and i didn't have to update the library at all?

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #2,120 of 2,614
I just updated both my X3 and my X5 libraries a few minutes ago. Each has a full 128GB card and the X5 has a nearly full 64GB card in addition to the 128 GB card. It took less than two minutes with both devices. All songs are FLAC and there are no other file types, i.e. no image files or text files or whatever. What you are seeing sounds dreadful. File issues?

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #2,121 of 2,614
OK I might try to go without library update. Thanks.

The reason I did update was that my album art was missing and it was definitively there with stock FW before theme flash, so I assumed it was necessary to scan again to bring it back (which it did). 

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #2,122 of 2,614
Yeah, no need to update the library when changing themes within the same firmware.

In the X3 II thread oldschool is also having issues with cue files (gapless issues). Looks like FiiO support of cue files isn't the best. As mentioned a few times, the theme will have nothing to do with functionality, only pictures are changed so if the media update is taking an unusual amount of time I would look to the file as the cause.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #2,123 of 2,614
OK I might try to go without library update. Thanks.

The reason I did update was that my album art was missing and it was definitively there with stock FW before theme flash, so I assumed it was necessary to scan again to bring it back (which it did). 

If using the H_U_D theme there is a version (H_U_D primary) that covers up all album art to keep the theme visual throughout. I made it this way because I'm not married to album art and I like the look of the theme as a whole this way.

There is a version that maintains the album art (H_U_D Album). As far as I know this is the only theme that covers up the album art so please download the appropriate one.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #2,124 of 2,614
Cool. I'm not overly excited about album art either, probably only 10% of albums have it anyway, but that particular one had it, so it sort of raised a flag that something was amiss.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #2,125 of 2,614

Final Notes

My 4th theme is done.
No further tweaks.
EQ was cleaned and development of that style will carry into next theme.
 The full size image with a rotational text or awesome icon will be the new launcher style along with a spartan top bar. I discovered I do tend to like the darkness on the X5
(silver/gold faded brushed out tones) and will move forward like that. My X5 has never looked more beautiful. Competition drove me and I ruffled folks along the way. It was nothing personal. I was competing against myself and I finally won...if that makes sense
biggrin.gif

I really do love my X5. And like the theme name I do love music

Thanks to @x RELIC x  @Romani,@CH23 for feedback along the way.

@Nicolas2305
Please link to this post. It will be the last. No revisions or updates from now on. Thanks in advance for the work you do
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #2,126 of 2,614
Updated links for "Amo la' Musica" from @Hawaiibadboy and added the theme update "Fragments" from @AsianInvasion

I will keep 2.4 firmwares in the first post for roughly another week and then they will be transferred in the archive post.

May 1, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #2,127 of 2,614
X5 Classic preview........ Wanted to do something simple and familiar - inspired by the iPod classic.

Mostly using the FiiO icons for this one (some of the stock FiiO icons are identical to Apple icons).

Notice the progress bar in the Now Playing screen. I made the number images taller so they sit further down from the progress bar which allowed me to make the bar much thicker.

I was going to go for an iPod classic battery indicator but I really liked the way the H_U_D one works so I left it in this theme for now. It may change or I may do a different version.

So far my biggest hurdle is finding a thick font large enough to read. Every bold or bold condensed font I load turns out to be about 3/4 the height of the stock font, yet the stock font is too thin for the theme. The launcher is fine as I can treat that separately.

May 1, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #2,128 of 2,614
X5 Classic preview........ Wanted to do something simple and familiar - inspired by the iPod classic.

Mostly using the FiiO icons for this one (some of the stock FiiO icons are identical to Apple icons).

Notice the progress bar in the Now Playing screen. I made the number images taller so they sit further down from the progress bar which allowed me to make the bar much thicker.

I was going to go for an iPod classic battery indicator but I really liked the way the H_U_D one works so I left it in this theme for now. It may change or I may do a different version.

So far my biggest hurdle is finding a thick font large enough to read. Every bold or bold condensed font I load turns out to be about 3/4 the height of the stock font, yet the stock font is too thin for the theme. The launcher is fine as I can treat that separately.

I am sure it was the first one you tried, but I think Chicago was the font used on the original Ipods.

May 1, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #2,129 of 2,614
I like it! While some of the custom themes are really beautiful, the X5 is still a digital device, and is expected to have a digital interface. I like how some mods have maintained a digital theme, but I just haven't found one that I'm found of the color scheme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back