Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Oct 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #421 of 2,614
I would appreciate a font that is easy to read as my eyes are not what they used to be.

Too thin might cause a problem for me.

Thanks

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #422 of 2,614
I understand where you're coming from. Here's a comparison between Roboto Condensed Light and Roboto Condensed Regular.

Something odd that I noticed, is the hook on lower case R's don't look right with the Regular weighted font. Kinda strange... Maybe I should try some other alternatives. Still aiming for a condensed font that will reduce scrolling on long titles.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #423 of 2,614
Maybe a font like Helvetia might help, just a suggestion

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #425 of 2,614
I'm not sure about the science of fonts, but to me Helvetica always looks great

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #426 of 2,614
Just played around with quite a few fonts. I think I've settled on PT Sans Narrow Bold. Don't be fooled by it being bold, though. The regular version looked even lighter than Roboto Condensed Light on the X5, and the bold version looks closer to a regular weighted font. Looks pretty nice on the X5, and should be easily readable by anyone. This fits my criteria of being a narrow/condensed font, yet still having enough weight to be easily readable.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #427 of 2,614

1. Z
Just played around with quite a few fonts. I think I've settled on PT Sans Narrow Bold. Don't be fooled by it being bold, though. The regular version looked even lighter than Roboto Condensed Light on the X5, and the bold version looks closer to a regular weighted font. Looks pretty nice on the X5, and should be easily readable by anyone. This fits my criteria of being a narrow/condensed font, yet still having enough weight to be easily readable.

That looks good to me, and should be ok on the X5

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #428 of 2,614
Alright guys, here it is! I'm just going to call this theme "Less is More: Remix" because technically, that's all it is. Major credits go to TheoS53 for creating "Less is More" and giving me inspiration for this mod, not to mention his kindness even going as far as to offer his assistance to me via PM. So thanks again for that! Special thanks to Flomet for valuable feedback regarding the font. I used TheoS53 "Less is More" as the base of this theme, and kept same font and layout from the main launcher. Only changes are the backgrounds, font (PT Sans Narrow Bold), no album art, and the boot/shutdown animations. This is based on firmware version 2.20.

Boot screen:

Launcher:

Settings:

Sorry for the low quality pictures. The backgrounds really look as good as the boot screen shown above.

*** Download Link ***

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #429 of 2,614
Alright guys, here it is! I'm just going to call this theme "Less is More: Remix" because technically, that's all it is. Major credits go to TheoS53 for creating "Less is More" and giving me inspiration for this mod, not to mention his kindness even going as far as to offer his assistance to me via PM. So thanks again for that! Special thanks to Flomet for valuable feedback regarding the font. I used TheoS53 "Less is More" as the base of this theme, and kept same font and layout from the main launcher. Only changes are the backgrounds, font (PT Sans Narrow Bold), no album art, and the boot/shutdown animations. This is based on firmware version 2.20.

Boot screen:

Launcher:

Settings:

Sorry for the low quality pictures. The backgrounds really look as good as the boot screen shown above.

*** Download Link ***

You have done a great job with this theme and I thank you, but I find that reading from the background font not too clear for me.

The original theme font is much better for me to read.

What I would like to have is the original font and your backgrounds in a theme, including the startup/shutdown and now playing screens. The reason I ask for this is that TheoS53 original theme coloured backgrounds take away that extra bit of focus that I need to read the menus.

The problem for me is that my eyes are not as good as they used to be even when wearing glasses. e.g. when playing a tune I have to focus on the playing times to read them. (this has been mentioned before in a thread and FiiO seems to think that everybody that uses there electronics have perfect vision)

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #430 of 2,614
You have done a great job with this theme and I thank you, but I find that reading from the background font not too clear for me.

The original theme font is much better for me to read.

What I would like to have is the original font and your backgrounds in a theme, including the startup/shutdown and now playing screens. The reason I ask for this is that TheoS53 original theme coloured backgrounds take away that extra bit of focus that I need to read the menus.

The problem for me is that my eyes are not as good as they used to be even when wearing glasses. e.g. when playing a tune I have to focus on the playing times to read them. (this has been mentioned before in a thread and FiiO seems to think that everybody that uses there electronics have perfect vision)

Here's a copy of my theme with TheoS53's font: *** Download Link *** Hopefully this one works out for you.

On my own X5, I'm actually using a version of my theme with the original font I planned on using (Roboto Condensed Light).
Just in case anyone else wants to try it with the lighter font, here it is: *** Download Link ***

Flomet, I don't recommend you try that one if your eyes are really that bad. Personally, I am near-sighted, therefore I have absolutely no problem seeing every pixel clearly, and the lighter font works well for me. Obviously it's not for everybody, though. That's why I decided to use PT Sans Narrow Bold for my main release. But in any case, now there's 3 versions available :)

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #435 of 2,614
Hey guys, updated the first post to include mods from Bloodflame based on TheoS53's theme.

I also moved things around a bit. The first post will contain only the latest stable version and potential beta releases from FiiO. The versions (stable and beta) prior to the latest stable version will be "archived" in the second post.

I think that this small change will help everyone find what they want a bit faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back