Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Feb 3, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #1,186 of 2,614
  Downloaded and updated. I have that image now and it looks awesome. Not sure if I'm imagining stuff but did you decrease the brightness of the "X5 Settings" image in the main menu? For some reason, that reduced brightness looks natural for the "Equaliser" and "Playback Settings" main menu images, but not for this "X5 Settings" one. Maybe I am being too pedantic with your theme.

You got good eyes. I toned it down as the bright gold was such a departure from the rest of the hardware screens. I may switch it if I can find a vintage Hi Fi image. It is the odd child of the bunch. I considered a version of the image now in the background of the settings.(hmmmmm)   I am thinking about that.

If you go to play by category>>>album>>select album the title will now be in bold gold font...just an experiment

Your observations help a lot so never hesitate. User feedback it HUGE. Thank you!!!

EDIT

New start up screen coming
biggrin.gif

YES YES YES HQ!!!!!!

Wooo Hooooo!!!

I do believe it is spinning this album which goes with the whole theme
deadhorse.gif

FW not updated yet

Updated https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm9crr1vb55w41v/x5.fw?dl=0

I spent 5 hours looking for a vid...to hack and trim and had to use a guy testing a stylus but his hand was dropping the needle and he's spinning an apple records (maybe Beatles) record so it was worth it. It's crystal ******* clear too.

I'm learning.
Sorry folks gotta go along with my curve but it's almost done.
Alright it will never be done but it's ready for it's closeup.

I skipped dinner. I'm an O.C.D having moron......oh well
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,187 of 2,614
Hawaiibadboy: Just a comment on your idea of making the toggles red / green to indicate state change. Red-green color blindness is the most common form of color blindness, and I was counseled long ago by a great presenter to avoid using red / green to indicate negative / positive in my presentations to avoid confusion.

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,188 of 2,614
 You got good eyes. I toned it down as the bright gold was such a departure from the rest of the hardware screens. I may switch it if I can find a vintage Hi Fi image. It is the odd child of the bunch. I considered a version of the image now in the background of the settings.(hmmmmm)   I am thinking about that.

If you go to play by category>>>album>>select album the title will now be in bold gold font...just an experiment

Your observations help a lot so never hesitate. User feedback it HUGE. Thank you!!!

EDIT

New start up screen coming :D  

YES YES YES HQ!!!!!!

Wooo Hooooo!!!

I do believe it is spinning this album which goes with the whole theme:deadhorse:

FW not updated yet

Updated https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm9crr1vb55w41v/x5.fw?dl=0

I spent 5 hours looking for a vid...to hack and trim and had to use a guy testing a stylus but his hand was dropping the needle and he's spinning an apple records (maybe Beatles) record so it was worth it. It's crystal ******* clear too.

I'm learning.
Sorry folks gotta go along with my curve but it's almost done.
Alright it will never be done but it's ready for it's closeup.

I skipped dinner. I'm an O.C.D having moron......oh well:D
We all have our own version of OCD :) Maybe change the colour tone of that image so it isn't so gold and so the brightness can be turned back up? So what updates have you made in the latest link you posted? Just need to know what I'm in for :)

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,189 of 2,614
Here is a tease of the 'Analog' theme I hinted at earlier. It's basically based off the same idea as McFiiOtosh so if you like that then this one will be quite familiar. Some tweaking is stil required like the top bar, startup and shutdown animations, and the EQ screen (I don't think anything will beat the 'Hi Fi' EQ :wink:).

I should be able to finish it in a couple days. :D

P.S. I'll be able to tweak the McFiiOtosh alternate as well.
The suspense of waiting for this baby to be made available is killing me. Just saying :)

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #1,190 of 2,614
Feb 3, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,191 of 2,614
@Hawaiibadboy, I was thinking about your on/off toggle and I had an idea in mind. I was thinking of the kind of on/off switch you find on an electric guitar amp.

the "on" image could be backlit (lighter color) and the "off" image would not (darker color) I think this would be practical for colorblid people as well as the other users with less than 20/20 vision but I have no proof to back what I'm telling you.

NR%201.%206A%20%2012V,%20ON-OFF,%20hole%2013x19,2%20mm,%20backlight.JPEG

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #1,192 of 2,614
Well, here it is............ Analog.

LINK Edit: Link updated to the most recent version.

I have a pretty awesome boot logo but I think it's too sexy for the rest of the theme. I went with only one small circle under the main meter as it was way too distracting having two icons changing when rolling the wheel.

The startup animation goes a little crazy as well. Might simplify it later, but alas, I'm busy with work again. I think I'm done with themes for a bit.

Not much to see besides the main screen, the rest is just colours changed from the original 2.4 FW.

Also edited McFiiOtosh alternate. This is a mockup pic.

It's in the same location as the previous McFiiOtosh links but here it is again.

McFiiOtosh Alt Link

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #1,194 of 2,614
Relic, it's beautiful! It's simple and elegant.
Those tubes, that dial start up animation, was pleasantly suprised by the power down animation.
Loving the bottom fonts of the Main menu.
I personally prefer the simpler the colors used for the player info (battery, gain, files), it's much more easy on the eyes. It's just the right amount of minimalistic elegance I wanted.
Seeing the menu icons in that dial makes it easier to predict the amount of wheel ticks needed to get to where I want.

Nicely done! 
beerchug.gif

Now to see the Alternate McFiio 

ps: I have got to contact Fiio Support, my Win7 doesn't recognize my X5 so I have to use the white usb adapter each time for FW and music transfers 
blink.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #1,195 of 2,614
Relic, it's beautiful! It's simple and elegant.
Those tubes, that dial start up animation, was pleasantly suprised by the power down animation.
Loving the bottom fonts of the Main menu.
I personally prefer the simpler the colors used for the player info (battery, gain, files), it's much more easy on the eyes. It's just the right amount of minimalistic elegance I wanted.
Seeing the menu icons in that dial makes it easier to predict the amount of wheel ticks needed to get to where I want.

Nicely done! :beerchug:

Now to see the Alternate McFiio 

ps: I have got to contact Fiio Support, my Win7 doesn't recognize my X5 so I have to use the white usb adapter each time for FW and music transfers :blink:  

Thanks! I prefer simple as well, but try to stay away from too 'icon graphic' because I'm simply not that good at designing icons (also why I'm using the stock FiiO icons). Some may not like the readability of the Analog compared to McFiiOtosh and I just noticed the battery percentages feel a tad blurry from the drop shadow. I feel I need to tweak that and adjust the percentages to read 100% 75% 50% 20% 10% as that would better represent what the battery levels are at.

Why do I notice these things after I upload the FW? Lol.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,196 of 2,614
Relic, am I wrong or did you use more frames in the Alt McFiio? Those dial power up and power downs are amazingly more smooth than the Analog.

Hmmmph tough call on which to use now, hah! The Analog's more 'Breguet'style elegant, but I quite liked the futuristic McFiio green/blue mix (reminds me a bit of when I was playing Deus Ex 1 and when we could change the GUI)

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #1,197 of 2,614
Relic's "Analogue"

Hawaiibadboy's  "Hi-Fi"

We all have our own version of OCD
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe change the colour tone of that image so it isn't so gold and so the brightness can be turned back up? So what updates have you made in the latest link you posted? Just need to know what I'm in for
smily_headphones1.gif

That image is gone.

However...

Previous start up/shutdown animations or backgrounds can be sent to Hi-Fi users if they want to reconfigure to a previous version
Quote:

@Hawaiibadboy, I was thinking about your on/off toggle and I had an idea in mind. I was thinking of the kind of on/off switch you find on an electric guitar amp.

the "on" image could be backlit (lighter color) and the "off" image would not (darker color) I think this would be practical for colorblid people as well as the other users with less than 20/20 vision but I have no proof to back what I'm telling you.

NR%201.%206A%20%2012V,%20ON-OFF,%20hole%2013x19,2%20mm,%20backlight.JPEG

Thanks.
Last nights hunt for an open animation was sleep depriving and mentally fraying so I'm gonna hit the switches next week. Thanks to you and @nmatheis for the suggestions
beerchug.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #1,199 of 2,614
Relic, am I wrong or did you use more frames in the Alt McFiio? Those dial power up and power downs are amazingly more smooth than the Analog.

Hmmmph tough call on which to use now, hah! The Analog's more 'Breguet'style elegant, but I quite liked the futuristic McFiio green/blue mix (reminds me a bit of when I was playing Deus Ex 1 and when we could change the GUI)

The needle in the McFiiOtosh was rendered for the amount of frames available and for the Analog I just used what I made for the menu selection, so yeah much more choppy. It takes a bit of time to do and I figure its not the main part of the player so I put it together rather quickly as I'm fairly busy right now.

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #1,200 of 2,614
Loaded up the latest Hi Fi (apple vinyl one).
If I understand it HBB, you need a longer version of a vinyl/needle action (more frames)? There's about 4 seconds of blank black screen from the power on to the start of the apply vinyl animation. The animation itself is very nice though, and smooth. The power-down vinyl animation isn't as smooth but it's not needed since the device shuts off so fast to notice it much.
wink_face.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjwWty4OFNY
A mechanical needle drop and raise would provide a more lenghty sequence (more frames) as it moves slower than a hand from what I've seen.

Oh and the Hi Fi logo sequence after the vinyl animation, since it seems to last a good 3 more seconds, you could make it divided into frames where you'd be writing that Hi Fi by hand, asi if it was a caligraphy. 
duggehsmile.png

example:
Each line = 1 frame  
I
I-
I-I
I-I I
I-I İ
I-I İ   I
I-I İ   F
I-I İ   F I
I-I İ   F İ

After a day of using the Hi Fi, and seeing the McFiio and Analog this past hour, my last feedbacks for the time being:

As far as main menu dials, McFiio Alt and Analog are very clear/lisible; McFiio Alt being the clearest. That being said if I look at it for efficiency, it's still a dial where I have to watch to which icon I'm at, and my own brain is much more faster at recognizing photographs than small icons. So once I'm accustomed to the photos and I associated which photo is which mode, I scroll until I see the photo, this can be even be done in peripheral vision. Plus side: the photos chosen by HBB are superb in conveying the themes.
popcorn.gif

On the Hi Fi, when scrolling down a list of music files, the grey toned background close-up photo of the amplifier's volume knob is too bright, and since the font color of the file names are grey too, it can be fatiguing on the eyes especially since it's already a drag to not have an accelerating wheel scroll option (takes me up to 30s of scrolling gah). If you could change the font color and/or darken the amp photo background, it would contrast more, making it more visible/easier while scrolling down.
The McFiio Alt and Analog on this aspect are flawless in their clarity of vision being with mono color background/no photo. It's simple but efficient, yet I felt like those nice photos were missing.

Lastly, the top screen info icons (Volume, Gain, EQ, Play/Pause and Battery level):  I find sticking to 2-3 colors is optimal. 
Be it the anthracyte grey/white cream of the Analog, or the neon green/darkslate blue/lightskyblue (tiny battery squares) of the McFiio Alt, both a clean and clear.
I find the 5 colors of the Hi Fi a bit too, hmm, rastafarian maybe. But hey maybe it was intented, my bad. 
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back