FiiO X5 beta firmware 2.02 download and discussion thread
Jun 13, 2014 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
After working on users' reports of various problems encountered in the current X5 firmware 2.0, a new beta firmware 2.02beta is now available for download and testing here: :)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yxakj71tu5y1zoh/X5_FW2.02Beta.zip

Please note the following:

1. This is a development beta. Please consider carefully whether you want to upgrade to it. (You can always downgrade back to 2.0)

2. Problems encountered with this firmware may be posted to this thread--please keep the main X5 thread free from clutter regarding bugs on beta firmware.

3. To avoid public misunderstanding, please refrain from posting about bugs and imperfections of the beta firmware outside this beta firmware discussion thread.

Main points of improvement are as follows:
1. Fixed issue where number of songs updated as shown by the media library upate and the number of songs shown by the “all songs” view are inconsistent when number of songs exceeds 3000 and CUE files are included.
2. Fixed issue where if rewinding at the end of a song, the player may skip to the next track before rewinding is complete (changed playback behaviour so that rewinding pauses playback)
3. Added support for the following cover art for a whole folder as per requirements:
a) jpg, jpeg, bmp and png formats are supported;
b) Other limitations to display are the same as for X5 firmware 2.0;
c) Supports display of art in the following order: Embedded cover art>External cover art (same filename as the song)>”front”>”cover”>”folder”>any other image found (first in alphabetical order). Note that capitalization is ignored.
d) Cover art display (stretch and crop) follows method in firmware 2.0 for now.

4. Will now ignore capitalization on Genre, Album, Artist and Title tags for the purpose of sorting and categorization (to avoid issue of the same genre / artist etc. being counted for two);
E.g. “POP” and “pop” are now regarded as the same genre.

5. Added option to “Play all” songs by an artist.

6. Added support for reading album and genre info from the music file that a CUE file is attached to.

7. Added support for LRC lyrics files in Unicode (UTF8 without BOM) format.

8. Added support for automatic media library update when an SD card is inserted / removed (when media library update is set to auto)

9. Added support for displaying total number of songs on system, on SD card 1 and SD card 2 from System settings->about X5.

10. “Normal” EQ is renamed “Off”.

11. Addressed issue where some music files in formats supported by the X5 are shown as not supported.

12. Addressed issue where an artist may be shown as two duplicate listings in Play by Category after a media library update.

13. Fixed issue where feature to resume playback from last position after power-off is broken in a certain FLAC album.

14. Fixed issue where certain FLAC files cause the player to hang.

15. Fixed the following issues with playing back .m4a files generated by itunes format conversion:
a) Time index did not match music after fast-forwarding
b) Resume playback from last position did not work (playback resumes from beginning of the track)
c) 44.1kHz/16bit was shown as the sample rate regardless of the actual sample rate used (aside from ALAC).

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 13, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 52
amazing ! i'll try it now ! thanks ! 

EDIT :when i go to "about X5" i get all information messed up : 

My X5 is hosting 2 microSD cards, 1x64Gb and 1x32GB, all full of Flacs. 
I updated the library after the upgrade. 
It seems the translation into english isn't complete and the information layout needs to be fixed : ) 

Jun 13, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 52
amazing ! i'll try it now ! thanks ! 

EDIT :when i go to "about X5" i get all information messed up : 

My X5 is hosting 2 microSD cards, 1x64Gb and 1x32GB, all full of Flacs. 
I updated the library after the upgrade. 
It seems the translation into english isn't complete and the information layout needs to be fixed : ) 

It's the same for me, can't read anything.

Jun 13, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 52
d) Cover art display (stretch and crop) follows method in firmware 2.0 for now.

If you guys change the top bar to a transparent overlay (at least in the Now Playing screen) and align the art with the top of the screen underneath it, it'd still fill the whole screen but wouldn't be cropped. Seems to me that would work best.

A lot of the info in that top bar is pretty extraneous, anyway. All I really need to see on an ongoing basis are the volume, play status and battery level.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 52
FW2.02b seems pretty good so far. Do I hear more bass? Maybe.

I like that there is an option to play all songs by artist now. Works well enough.

I appreciate the off label for the EQ, but am still patiently waiting to be able to adjust more than just the Custom EQ setting.

Thanks Joe! You guys have been busy!

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 52
Using the 2.02 beta it seems that playing 176/24 FLAC files (maybe other 176/24 file formats too) out through coaxial is broken. It used to work on 2.0 official. Listening to 'Explorations in Space and Time' (HDTRACKS) and the track progresses on the X5 but does not output sound through coaxial. Through line out it outputs sound but not coax.

This is out to the Oppo HA-1 which is bit for bit from the input and the HA-1 currently can't determine what signal it is receiving from the X5 playing 176/24 on beta 2.02 (the HA-1 input signal display keeps jumping around not locking in the proper signal), where on 2.0 it had no problems with 176/24 files through coaxial.

I'm sure this will be fixed as a previous X5 beta FW also messed with the coaxial output. And no, the HA-1 is not the problem as my other sources play the same 176/24 files fine digitally to the HA-1, as well as the X5 pre 2.02 beta.

Edit: other high rez tracks play fine, the problem seems isolated to 176/24.

Just tested 176/24 FLAC files on both 2.0 official and 2.02 beta and it confirmed that the X5 has an issue outputting 176/24 files through coaxial on both firmwares. Line output is fine but coaxial is broken and seems to be 'confused' as to what sample rate and bit depth to output for 176/24.

The same files play fine to my HA-1 DAC/amp from my other sources.

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #14 of 52
When i play DSF or DFF files stored on my external HD through OTG connection, i get cuts at the beginning of each files, then it plays smoothly. I don't remember having this issue with the 2.0 firmware. I recorded a small mp3 clip here : 

http://soundsquare.free.fr/SSQ/x5-DSD.mp3

i play a song then skip to the next song twice, you can hear the cuts on the recording (X5 line out to my PC soundcard).

I haven't tried playing these DSD files from a MSD card, will try later.  

EDIT : these files play without cuts from the microSD cards, so just my 1,8" HD having too slow access times through usb OTG I guess... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back