Fiio X5 and USB problems Mac
Aug 26, 2014 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nutmeg42

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I have searched the forum as much as I could to try and find an answer but found nothing. Apologies if this has been asked before.

I have put in an RTA for my X5 as the device will charge when plugged into my Mac via USB, but it won't show up on my desktop to transfer files or can be used as a DAC when selected in the menu on the device any more. It was working perfectly the last time I plugged it into my computer. It basically just goes from my car and into the house if I need to transfer or use it as a DAC. I am hoping desperately that the problem could possibly be a software problem and not a hardware one as I am going to be lost without it (shudders at the thought of having to use my iPhone for music) and not sure how long it will take for the RTA procedure. I have been updating the firmware with the betas and recently updated to the new 2.20. Thinking that this might have been a problem I reverted it back to an older beta that I knew worked to see but it didn't fix the problem. 

Hoping someone can help me and TIA.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #6 of 10
Unfortunately I have tried two other cables, one being a new one and neither work. I'm thinking the actual USB plug in the device is faulty and I'm going to have to send it away. Never mind. Thank you to those who tried to help. :D

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 10
My experience :

On another note to FiiO - Dear FiiO I would like to make a comment - I assume this is a bug as numerous reports of this occuring have been reported on forums and, you have made it known you are aware of this problem. As a result I believe you should have taken responsibility and replaced those devices affected and reported to you as such. It's not acceptable that a customer who has spent money has no choice but to use a work around because the device does not to do what it's supposed to do and that is attach to the PC via USB for storage or DAC !

Yes you offererd to repair the device but that means your repairing a device used for the 2 nd time though purchased in November 2014 from Massdrop who you refer to as an unauthorised vendor. To quote FiiO "Massdrop is not our authorized dealer".

From my perspective not good enough. The overall experience is not wholistic and good for me. I for one will not buy FiiO products again and will not be recommending them.

Kind regards, T

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 10
It seems to be a common problem with the X5.

I was offered by support to test if FW 2.6 Beta solves it. It didn't.

This experience will definitelly affect my selection when I'll shop for an upgrade

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 10
Hey folks, this problem just got fixed for me.

Setup: Fiio X5 Gen 2 with FW 1.1 (the one it was shipped with) + Macbook Pro Retina (2015).

Fix: Updated FW to 2.1 (procedure - http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39948&extra=)

Now my mac recognises both as storage and as a USB DAC

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 10

heman, that is great for you, but it does not solve the problem for us guys on X5 1st gen.  There are no firmware updates since quite some time and it is just stupid that i cannot touch the files when connecting device directly to mac.  Fiio pls help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back