Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 4, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #15,721 of 15,897
Seeing as I’ve been quoted, best to reply on this topic directly to ensure that there’s no misunderstanding :)

I don’t have any issues with WindowsX’s ROM (in fact I use it as a base layer with my kernel as it’s leaner than the original firmware). Prispewnic is a capable scripting dev and he’s heavily optimised the base scripts for use with the original firmware, which is likely why he’s found issues with the custom ROM. I don’t know where he got the ROM to disassemble (or even if he did), and don’t want to speak on his behalf but I have a lot of respect for him and all the hard work he’s put into making my kernel work. I did recall him saying that the ALSA drivers weren’t working (using audioflinger as a dump to check) so maybe that’s something you could check directly with him.

Personally I have no problem with my kernel being integrated into the next custom ROM as long as the work is credited. Hope this helps!

Jun 4, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #15,722 of 15,897
Thank you for your clarification. I also find it odd as it's not consistent with other posts in past years. I never talk to Prispewnic himself before but Alsa tweaks was remnant of my past projects in my used devices before developing Purist ROM with it. So he got Advanced ROM through illegal channel making ill comments as an unethical devs. Sorry but I can't give respect to a thief bashing stolen product even if he did so much for your kernelmod project and I hope you understand that.

As for Alsa hack thing, I already tidied up and remove deprecated stuff on PerfectDynamics 3.0 update. I still keep some files for future re-implementation if I can find suitable solution to work on it. It's hardware specific thing and I used to have it on my older phones with ROMs I developed back in the days here.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/search/16407223/

As you can see here, I cooked and compiled CM ROMs for my own devices including kernel mods and included PureXAudio which has alsa tweaks but only supported device. There're other Alsa things that work in Advanced ROM and I spent years tuning and listening to get perfect dynamics result myself.

Anyway, so Prispewnic is a thief who stole Advanced ROM illegally, and Alsa hack is deprecated code that is long removed in PerfectDynamics 3.0 last year while I still keep some device specific tweaks like Sony and CM in case I want to merge them in my legacy devices for audio purposes. And there'll be new X5iii ROM with jkbuha's kernel coming with new updates. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Jun 4, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #15,723 of 15,897
Thank you for your clarification. I also find it odd as it's not consistent with other posts in past years. I never talk to Prispewnic himself before but Alsa tweaks was remnant of my past projects in my used devices before developing Purist ROM with it. So he got Advanced ROM through illegal channel making ill comments as an unethical devs. Sorry but I can't give respect to a thief bashing stolen product even if he did so much for your kernelmod project and I hope you understand that.

As for Alsa hack thing, I already tidied up and remove deprecated stuff on PerfectDynamics 3.0 update. I still keep some files for future re-implementation if I can find suitable solution to work on it. It's hardware specific thing and I used to have it on my older phones with ROMs I developed back in the days here.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/search/16407223/

As you can see here, I cooked and compiled CM ROMs for my own devices including kernel mods and included PureXAudio which has alsa tweaks but only supported device. There're other Alsa things that work in Advanced ROM and I spent years tuning and listening to get perfect dynamics result myself.

Anyway, so Prispewnic is a thief who stole Advanced ROM illegally, and Alsa hack is deprecated code that is long removed in PerfectDynamics 3.0 last year while I still keep some device specific tweaks like Sony and CM in case I want to merge them in my legacy devices for audio purposes. And there'll be new X5iii ROM with jkbuha's kernel coming with new updates. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

I believe it's of utmost importance to clear prispewnic's name here. I've always held him in the highest regard both technically and integrally, and if he believes that there was an issue with a specific feature (as he found numerous times when testing my buggy work :)) he would flag it properly and promptly. I've thoroughly enjoyed working with him over the 2 years the X5 kernel development was active, and frankly were it not for FiiO withholding the source code for the newer players I would have looked forward to working on later players too.

Importantly, great news to hear that the latest PerfectDynamics update resolves any ALSA issues, and look forward to testing a future build with our modded kernel.

Hell, it might even incentivise me to dust off the sandbox and finish version 3.5... :)

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #15,724 of 15,897
I believe it's of utmost importance to clear prispewnic's name here. I've always held him in the highest regard both technically and integrally, and if he believes that there was an issue with a specific feature (as he found numerous times when testing my buggy work :)) he would flag it properly and promptly. I've thoroughly enjoyed working with him over the 2 years the X5 kernel development was active, and frankly were it not for FiiO withholding the source code for the newer players I would have looked forward to working on later players too.

Importantly, great news to hear that the latest PerfectDynamics update resolves any ALSA issues, and look forward to testing a future build with our modded kernel.

Hell, it might even incentivise me to dust off the sandbox and finish version 3.5... :)

Alsa has working components and non-working components part. I removed non-working components part as remnants from my previous projects out and tidy up base optimizations to work better and properly in PerfectDynamics 3.0. Now I'm working on updated revision to replicate improvements that I brought on quad core devices using different approach for similar results. And free version will have that too. Could you clarify the difference between 1416 and 1416s by the way? I think I'll use base 1416 as some later batches with different chip lot may not be stable with 1704 or 2016. :)

Prispewnic can contact me to clear out his name about obtaining Advanced ROM illegally. It's unlikely that he would purchase Advanced ROM directly from me to not give me any feedback at all after spending money but talk to others like that instead.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Jun 12, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #15,725 of 15,897
Has anyone here tried plugging the 2.5 TRRS balanced out to a balanced amplifier ? I recently purchased a burson soloist amp which has XLR inputs for balanced in. Was wondering if there would be any issue plugging the balanced headphone out from the X5 GenIII to the input of the amp.

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #15,726 of 15,897
So, as of version 2.32.0 and moving forward , Tidal requires android version 6 see here.

Version 2.31.0, see here, is the last version supported on FiiO X5iii. -link to download-

The last version that is of the “modded” variety is version 2.28.1.1002.1, see here. -link to download-
Did a cache wipe/factory reset today (still on vanilla kernel and std 1.25 firmware) and was pulling my hair out Googling what the latest Tidal android app that the X5III will handle. Glad I re-found your post with v2.31.0. I had been using 2.19 which works but doesn't populate the Mixes with the artwork or have quite the refinement of the newer version. Even though I primarily use UAPP for Tidal it's nice to do the standard Tidal app thing every so often. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #15,727 of 15,897
Did a cache wipe/factory reset today (still on vanilla kernel and std 1.25 firmware) and was pulling my hair out Googling what the latest Tidal android app that the X5III will handle. Glad I re-found your post with v2.31.0. I had been using 2.19 which works but doesn't populate the Mixes with the artwork or have quite the refinement of the newer version. Even though I primarily use UAPP for Tidal it's nice to do the standard Tidal app thing every so often. Thanks again!
Nice! Glad I’ve stepped on mapped out all possible land mines on offer for our player, lol.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #15,728 of 15,897
Has anyone here tried plugging the 2.5 TRRS balanced out to a balanced amplifier ? I recently purchased a burson soloist amp which has XLR inputs for balanced in. Was wondering if there would be any issue plugging the balanced headphone out from the X5 GenIII to the input of the amp.
A few listings for male 2.5mm balanced to dual XLRs adapters on Amazon seem to explicitly mention this player among a few others (A&K, Onkyo, etc). You should be good to go!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #15,729 of 15,897
A few listings for male 2.5mm balanced to dual XLRs listed on Amazon seem to explicitly mention this player among a few others (A&K, Onkyo, etc). You should be good to go!
:gs1000smile: Man! this thing is a swiss army knife ! I use it as a DAP when I'm about, a Digital Source to my DSP in my car and now a balanced output with UAPP playing tidal on my desktop set up! Hah! Unreal!!!!

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #15,730 of 15,897
FiiO Music App V3.0.5 for X5III update now!

Changes and improvements about new Android APP are as follows :

1. Added VU meters(When you choose default now playing page theme,you could enter the now playing page then tap the cover area to switch to the UV meter);
2. Added an option to display the album art in original size or by full screen under Spectrum display mode;
3. Added ID3 tag support for DFF tracks;
4. Added dark theme adaptation of the media control bar;
5. Fixed the issue where the album art of some tracks could not be loaded;
6. Fixed the issue where creating new folders would fail when transferring tracks to the SD card using WiFi Song Transfer;
7. Fixed the issue where a few tracks might not be played properly;
8. Improved the Home screen widget;
9. Improved the stability of FiiO Link;
10. Improved the USB Audio compatibility with some USB DACs (such as iFi);
11. Miscellaneous improvements.

FiiO Music app-V3.0.5 for X series Android players: Click here
(Backup link: Click here)

How to check the APP version of FiiO Music app:

From settings-About-VersionX.X.X

How to update the FiiO Music app in players:
Set the device to storage mode and connect to computer, drag the downloaded FiiO Music (.apk) to the device. Then disconnect the connection and enter ES file explorer/file manager, find the FiiO Music app in internal storage/sd card and click install.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 16, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #15,731 of 15,897
FiiO Music App V3.0.5 for X5III update now!

Changes and improvements about new Android APP are as follows :

1. Added VU meters(When you choose default now playing page theme,you could enter the now playing page then tap the cover area to switch to the UV meter);
2. Added an option to display the album art in original size or by full screen under Spectrum display mode;
3. Added ID3 tag support for DFF tracks;
4. Added dark theme adaptation of the media control bar;
5. Fixed the issue where the album art of some tracks could not be loaded;
6. Fixed the issue where creating new folders would fail when transferring tracks to the SD card using WiFi Song Transfer;
7. Fixed the issue where a few tracks might not be played properly;
8. Improved the Home screen widget;
9. Improved the stability of FiiO Link;
10. Improved the USB Audio compatibility with some USB DACs (such as iFi);
11. Miscellaneous improvements.

FiiO Music app-V3.0.5 for X series Android players: Click here
(Backup link: Click here)

How to check the APP version of FiiO Music app:

From settings-About-VersionX.X.X

How to update the FiiO Music app in players:
Set the device to storage mode and connect to computer, drag the downloaded FiiO Music (.apk) to the device. Then disconnect the connection and enter ES file explorer/file manager, find the FiiO Music app in internal storage/sd card and click install.
@FiiO I've installed and now noticed that I can change the artist list to 'Album artist' in the settings! This is great! However I only seem to have 14 artists listed (should be over 100) and one of them (Toots and the Maytals) appears to have over 4000 songs which don't exist once I drill down into it.
I know album artist is correctly defined for all my tracks because I use the same files on other devices and album artist lists work perfectly.

Jul 19, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #15,732 of 15,897
@FiiO I've installed and now noticed that I can change the artist list to 'Album artist' in the settings! This is great! However I only seem to have 14 artists listed (should be over 100) and one of them (Toots and the Maytals) appears to have over 4000 songs which don't exist once I drill down into it.
I know album artist is correctly defined for all my tracks because I use the same files on other devices and album artist lists work perfectly.
Dear friend,

You could try to reset the database and scan the music again to check whether it helps?

Best regards

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 7, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #15,734 of 15,897
Hi. I wonder if anyone knows how to solve this. I'm trying to use the X5 as a DAC to work with my iPad air ( the latest one with usb-c) I’m using the camara connection adapter and using the micro USB connection in DAC mode but the iPad does not recognize the x5 as an audio device at all. Tried restarting both devices while connected. Nothing worked.
please let me know if you have found a solution to this problem.
thanks

Tal

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #15,735 of 15,897
Hi. I wonder if anyone knows how to solve this. I'm trying to use the X5 as a DAC to work with my iPad air ( the latest one with usb-c) I’m using the camara connection adapter and using the micro USB connection in DAC mode but the iPad does not recognize the x5 as an audio device at all. Tried restarting both devices while connected. Nothing worked.
please let me know if you have found a solution to this problem.
thanks

Tal
Dear friend,

Since the X5III does not has charge off option like our BTR5, the X5III will be charged by the iOS device when connecting. And because of this, the iOS device may not recognize it as a USB DAC. Can you use the X5III as USB DAC for the computer? If yes, it may be a compatibility problem between the X5III and your iOS device.

Best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back