Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jul 21, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #15,646 of 15,897
So it seems if I try to modify the Fidildizer custom rom, it locks me out completely until I bring it back to stock. What not even FiiO does that TO THEIR OWN PRODUCT, yet the guy has the balls to want us to pay for this garbage? Man am I pissed. Anyone found a way to unlock the partition as well? This is ridiculous! Complete paywall!

Edit: I figured it out, see the next post.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #15,647 of 15,897
I DID IT. I F'ING DID IT. TAKE THAT, TAKE IT, RAT. I CAN NOW GO INTO MY /system COMPLETELY UNBLOCKED, ROOT MY DEVICE WITHOUT KINGROOT SPYRWARE AND DO WHATEVER TICKLES MY FANCY, WITH FIDELIZER CUSTOM, V4A, BLOAT DELETION, WHATEVER. I CAN NOW HAVE MY CAKE AND EAT IT TOO. WHO WANTS TO LEARN, BOIS?

BLANKETYY.png

YES, THIS MEANS TESTERS ARE NEEDED. I am doing this on an X7 Gen 1, but this doesn't mean X5 Gen III and X7 II can't have this as well! PM me, the more you're familiar with rooting and backing up/recovering your devices with Flashfire, RKTool and TWRP, the better. I need the latest version of each machine to test.
http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=42663
I made this thread a few years ago, so there is a lot to be streamlined and updated, v4a hasn't worked since the 3.0.3beta when lollipop JUST got rolled out for the original X7. If you've used this guide, or any other one for your specific device before to rollback, flash kernels, custom roms, zips or updates, then you're pretty much qualified as a tester.

I'm going to make a tutorial for the X7, then I'll move onto other devices once people approach me about them.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #15,648 of 15,897
I have the Fiio X1 and I want to upgrade to a better DAP. I have the LGV40 and I thought it would replace my daily commute dap, but unfortunately not. I am looking for an audiophile grade dap, with very clean and detailed sound, flat response and neutral sound. I really don't need any extra features, touch display, or anything else. I have the AK JR, ibasso dx90 or 120, Fiio X5iii, and some other DAP in mind. I am open to any suggestions you might have. I plan to pair it with the Hifiman RE600, MSR7, and Sennheiser IE800.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #15,649 of 15,897
I just recently updated spotify on my X5 and now it sounds terrible. It still sounds normal through the Fiio music player or watching a Youtube vid which obviously means its the app. I have uni/reinstalled a couple of times and cleared the cache but hasn't coming good. Anyone had trouble likes this before??

It's also terrible if I play it out of Line Out or phones.

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #15,650 of 15,897
I just recently updated spotify on my X5 and now it sounds terrible. It still sounds normal through the Fiio music player or watching a Youtube vid which obviously means its the app. I have uni/reinstalled a couple of times and cleared the cache but hasn't coming good. Anyone had trouble likes this before??

It's also terrible if I play it out of Line Out or phones.
use Spotify Lite, you can get it on apkpure, it work better on the s..l..o..w x5iii

Sep 29, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #15,651 of 15,897
How can I put Tidal on my X5iii?

I had it once and it quit working. I have updated my FiiO software to the latest version.

I seem to think you get Tidal from the Google Play Store, but I cannot make my X5iii get to the Google Play Store...it just sits “checking info” for a minute or so then complains “Can’t establish reliable connection to server, this could be a temporary problem or your Android device may not be provisioned for data services.”

Thanks for any advice.

Sep 29, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #15,652 of 15,897
How can I put Tidal on my X5iii?

I had it once and it quit working. I have updated my FiiO software to the latest version.

I seem to think you get Tidal from the Google Play Store, but I cannot make my X5iii get to the Google Play Store...it just sits “checking info” for a minute or so then complains “Can’t establish reliable connection to server, this could be a temporary problem or your Android device may not be provisioned for data services.”

Thanks for any advice.

Don't know if this will work (in terms of compatibility of app and Android version etc) but grab the APK from the link below, transfer it to your X5iii, then open it on the device.
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/tidal/

Sep 29, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #15,653 of 15,897
Unless you are using a modded version of tidal, google play store and services are still going to be required for tidal to run. Are you able to get the google play store up and running enough to check for updates to itself?

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #15,654 of 15,897
EWC8Q8IAN8@4[`~KL6(TUN9.png

Changes and improvements about new APP for X series and M series players are as follows :
1. Brand new v3.0 design, with an overall upgrade on visual effects and interactions, all for better listening;
2. Added Simplicity White and Deep Black themes;
3. Added a new option, "Unlimited", to the "File size limit for album art" setting;
4. Improved the speed of scanning songs;
5. Improved the USB Audio compatibility and also added support for FiiO Q3;
6. Miscellaneous improvements.

FiiO Music app-V3.0.1 for X series Android players: Click here

How to update the FiiO Music app:
1. Search and download FiiO Music in the App Store on your device!
2. Or Set the device to storage mode and connect to computer, drag the downloaded FiiO Music (.apk) to the device. Then disconnect the connection and enter ES file manager, find the FiiO Music app in internal_sd and click install.

If you have any problem in the latest version, you could uninstall the app and use the previous version. Or send email to support@fiio.com, we will reply when we are back to work in October 6th.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 1, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #15,655 of 15,897
Hi all,

Hoping somebody can help me. I had the excellent kernel from jkbuha and friends on the stock 1.2.3 ROM but had a bug where music would stop when screen is off with the line out/coax option on, so I wanted to go to 1.2.5. I did this by using the Fidelizer 1.2.5 ROM, which I'm happy with I only use Onkyo HF anyway as nothing else seems to work anywhere near as well. I am having trouble reinstalling the kernel v 3.41 now, though. I still have the TWRP recovery on the device, and su folder appears in the system, but flashing the kernel results in a no boot with just the Fidelizer logo. Is there a tried and tested method of getting this excellent kernel back with Fidelizer? thanks!

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #15,656 of 15,897
Hi all,

Hoping somebody can help me. I had the excellent kernel from jkbuha and friends on the stock 1.2.3 ROM but had a bug where music would stop when screen is off with the line out/coax option on, so I wanted to go to 1.2.5. I did this by using the Fidelizer 1.2.5 ROM, which I'm happy with I only use Onkyo HF anyway as nothing else seems to work anywhere near as well. I am having trouble reinstalling the kernel v 3.41 now, though. I still have the TWRP recovery on the device, and su folder appears in the system, but flashing the kernel results in a no boot with just the Fidelizer logo. Is there a tried and tested method of getting this excellent kernel back with Fidelizer? thanks!

In TWRP, with system mounted, go into its file manager and navigate to PrivApp and App directories and delete the X-Backup folders, as well deleting anything under system/media that isn't the bootanimation.zip . Next delete any traces of SuperSu from the system folder.
When reinstalling SuperSU swipe/install and wipe dalvik/cache 2x each before going to advanced-> fix permissions.
Also make sure the player is disconnected from any USB before hitting finish at the end of the Kernel Installer.

Sidenote, I just went back from stock 1.2.5 w/ kernel 3.4.1 to stock 1.2.3 w/ 3.4.1, and I didn't get the pausing bug (FiiO Music 3.0.2, UAPP 5.8.4, PowerAmp 884, Neutron 2.15.0), and I'm using lineout to an amp exclusively.

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #15,657 of 15,897
Hi thank you for your time replying. I’m assuming I do all of that then immediately flash the kernel installer? Do I need to do any further wipes after that or just let it reboot as usual?

I wasn’t actually using the line out but in the FiiO Music app - which I can no longer use as it now misses out great swathes of my library that my Onkyo app and others do not - it would just crash the app when the screen went off for some reason. The 3.0.2 app doesn’t find all of my music and tags things as “unknown artist” when the previous versions didn’t so I can no longer use that sadly.

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #15,658 of 15,897
Hi thank you for your time replying. I’m assuming I do all of that then immediately flash the kernel installer? Do I need to do any further wipes after that or just let it reboot as usual?

I wasn’t actually using the line out but in the FiiO Music app - which I can no longer use as it now misses out great swathes of my library that my Onkyo app and others do not - it would just crash the app when the screen went off for some reason. The 3.0.2 app doesn’t find all of my music and tags things as “unknown artist” when the previous versions didn’t so I can no longer use that sadly.

You want to reboot the device after installing SuperSU (as described above or in guide from my signature: https://www.head-fi.org/posts/14769688/ ) prior to having flashed custom kernel in the first place.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #15,659 of 15,897
You want to reboot the device after installing SuperSU (as described above or in guide from my signature: https://www.head-fi.org/posts/14769688/ ) prior to having flashed custom kernel in the first place.

Well the path I took was Fidelizer over the top of a stock ROM with the custom kernel. So do I need to now root as if I were stock, then follow your instructions as laid out before? I’m sorry for the questions but I’d like to get it right lol

Nov 1, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #15,660 of 15,897
Well the path I took was Fidelizer over the top of a stock ROM with the custom kernel. So do I need to now root as if I were stock, then follow your instructions as laid out before? I’m sorry for the questions but I’d like to get it right lol
No worries !
Fidelizer is wonky, and according to the other half of the kernel devs it's got "a lot of unworkable stuff under the hood. Unworked ALSA drivers, a lot of broken patches and tweaks, from xperia smartphones, many settings from cyanogen mod, which are not applicable for x5-3 etc. [trust] because [he] completely disassembled the rom and knows what is included in it. unfortunately most of these settings only harm the system and reduce the stability of custom kernel. [he] with jkbuha tried to increase the stability of the kernel on this rom, but we were not able to bring it to the required level. in addition sound on this rom is exactly the same as stock. can guarantee it. unfortunately, cannot recommend using it in conjunction with custom kernel"

That being said, I've gotten Fidelizer 1.2.5 running with 3.4.1, but just ended up going back to 1.2.3-1.2.5.

If you have the time to, try flashing 1.2.3 stock again then going through the steps in the link.

Let me know if I understand your player's status correctly... Fidelizer 1.2.5, you've already flashed SuperSU (I am unsure if you've managed to get your player to boot up normally after just this step alone), and upon flashing kernel 3.4.1 installer, it hangs on the Fidelizer logo on boot?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back