Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 17, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #15,631 of 15,897
Hello, i'm having issue with the airplay receiver function on the fiio X5 III. the player is detected by my mac but when i choose it as audio output, it works for 2 second and then stop. Any idea what's the issue ? Does anybody has the same problem ? I use fiio X5 III with custom firmware with 3.4 kernel. Thanks for your help.

Jun 25, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #15,632 of 15,897
Is anyone using their FiiO X5iii with the Sony TA-ZH1ES Headphone Amp / DAC ? I've just received a AudioQuest Pearl cable for the back port ( USB-B ) of the TA, with a AudioQuest Dragon Tail adapter for the X5iii, but i'm getting no sound ??

Can anyone help please ?? I have the TA settings to PC ( USB-B )

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #15,633 of 15,897
Hi there,

Firstly thank you for posting the instructions on installing Kernelmod onto the x5iii - I have followed this all the way through without any problem. Just one question though, I am sure I have flashed the FiiO-X5iii-jkbuha-V3.41-TWRP-MULTI.zip - however when I look at the device details, the kernel version says 3.0.101+jkbuha@prispewnic #34

Is this correct?

Jul 1, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #15,634 of 15,897
Tidal no longer works on my FiiO X5iii, though it did until recently. I made no changes, but I guess Tidal came up with a new version not backward compatible. I wrote them with Android and Tidal version numbers, and they helpfully informed me that my Tidal was wayyy out of date.

Hiwever, that is the only version that the FiiO App Store has! Boo!

Jul 1, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #15,635 of 15,897
Hi there,

Firstly thank you for posting the instructions on installing Kernelmod onto the x5iii - I have followed this all the way through without any problem. Just one question though, I am sure I have flashed the FiiO-X5iii-jkbuha-V3.41-TWRP-MULTI.zip - however when I look at the device details, the kernel version says 3.0.101+jkbuha@prispewnic #34

Is this correct?
Those little blurbs in the System Info can be safely disregarded. They're just specifics about the linux kernel version, not necessarily the X5iii custom kernel version.. "Kernel ##: Optimizations Done!" prompt after boot will confirm the version you have installed.

Jul 1, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #15,636 of 15,897
Tidal no longer works on my FiiO X5iii, though it did until recently. I made no changes, but I guess Tidal came up with a new version not backward compatible. I wrote them with Android and Tidal version numbers, and they helpfully informed me that my Tidal was wayyy out of date.

Hiwever, that is the only version that the FiiO App Store has! Boo!
Version 2.27.2.999.1 works on my player:
Screenshot_2020-07-01-15-26-16.png

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #15,637 of 15,897
Where did you get that version (2.27.2.999.1) for your FiiO X5iii? I only see an older version in the App Store from the link on my FiiO, @WitzyZed ?

Jul 2, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #15,638 of 15,897
Jul 3, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #15,639 of 15,897
Those little blurbs in the System Info can be safely disregarded. They're just specifics about the linux kernel version, not necessarily the X5iii custom kernel version.. "Kernel ##: Optimizations Done!" prompt after boot will confirm the version you have installed.

Thanks @WitzyZed :-D I can confirm I am on the correct X5iii custom kernel!

One more thing, so this was my first time, so I decided to select the option of 1.7GHZ and disabling Google email only. If I wanted to try and see if the player can cope with 2GHZ and also further disabling of functions - do I just boot back in TWRP and swipe install? What would the correct steps be? (e.g maybe I need to reset the player? clear cache? etc..)

Thanks

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #15,640 of 15,897
been searching for an answer and thought i would go ahead and ask. Has anybody replaced the battery in their X5iii? I am only getting about an hour after a full night charging, and this is with wifi and Bluetooth off. I know it can be sent back to china for replacement, but was hoping this is something i could do my self with a little direction.

It‘s a lot more fun and adventurous with replacing the battery in the FiiO X-III as xnuthecaveman mentions. He probably forgot about the cold sweat on his back during this operation. Or he was just a dumb witness.
Link to buy batteries
Aliexpress 15.67 Euro + Shipping - Original for FiiO X5-III with rivet contacts made of sheet metal strips
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32977183901.html?mb=6QAJb9BDegpWpyY&srcSns=Telegram&tid=white_backgroup_101&tt=org.telegram.messenger&image=H9b458d8fe30a4b76a89be47359d23f1dx.jpg&aff_request_id=87eefe3299424ccfaddf2e7a6a0c624c-1587170840733-02060-_dY1IZbo&spreadType=socialShare&aff_platform=default&sk=_dY1IZbo&aff_trace_key=87eefe3299424ccfaddf2e7a6a0c624c-1587170840733-02060-_dY1IZbo&businessType=ProductDetail&templateId=white_backgroup_101&title=491,03+грн.++7%СКИДКА+|+Аккумулятор+для+Fiio+X5+III+Gen+3+Player+новый+литий-полимерный+перезаряжаемый+аккумулятор+Repalcement+3&platform=AE&terminal_id=84c77e5fe12f4cee9905e8f572fed942
Original FiiO battery.jpg

Ebay - universal battery with crushed contacts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-7V-3400-...656428?hash=item3d6216a5ac:g:7wcAAOSwZ3Ja4kBl
baterka Ebay.jpg

Necessary tools !!
Suction cup to open the back cover max diameter 55 mm - I got the ideal load from ELLIX up to 2 kg Not even a razor blade can be inserted into the gap between the cover and the body of the player
ELLIS 2 kg.jpg
Torx kit with 5-pointed screwdriver for service iPhone, Samsung etc - my only available source AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966404452.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.49004c4dNuvVFX
Torx.jpg

Of course, a microsolder or soldering iron, tin, insulating tape, pliers or fixed tweezers to remove the contacts of the old battery.
Unfortunately, the original strip wires of the battery are probably riveted by some industrial spot soldering iron with a higher soldering temperature - I was not able to solder it even with a large soldering iron.
So just carefully tear off the small PCB board stuck to the original battery.
I don't know what home technology can reliably imitate the original connection, I chose a battery with Ebay wires - but it's quite fun to get it all under cover and not destroy the board.

The biggest crap in the whole operation was to stuff the new battery back and tear the tape contacts of the old battery from the PCB board.
01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpgELLIS 2 kg.jpg01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

05.jpg

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #15,641 of 15,897
Jul 5, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #15,642 of 15,897
With a little searching, you may still find the FiiO dock DK1 with micro USB and cable for ext DAC ML06 can be sold out at local audio retailers. FiiO stopped producing products with micro USB connectors and I bought it for half price.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #15,644 of 15,897
Jul 20, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #15,645 of 15,897
Chapter Eight: X5III

From the previous writing we knew that there were not many new products in 2016, but each of them was outstanding and hit. At the end of 2016, after careful preparations, we held the grandest product launch event in Beijing, of which we first built an ultra-large 500-inch LED electronic screen. Before the event, we even did the rehearsal five times.

Actually before the event, we had already completed the mass production of the X5III. At this time, the first batch of fresh X5III thingy was waiting for their new master.

I personally think that the X5III launch event was the second successful one, just after the M15's. Included the presentation, venue construction, media invitation, video broadcast, press conference report, new product warm-up, new product confidentiality, product preparation, reservation, and the announcement were all amazing.

Finally, the first batch of the X5III being on the market had won the biggest success in the history of FiiO.

After finishing the discussion about the launch event, now let's go back to the product itself. I had summarized a few points for the success of the X5III.

1. Optimal configuration. The X5III is actually an upgraded version of the X5II. So its price had increased just a little bit. But its configuration and function are much ahead of the X5II. The display screen is upgraded from 2.4 inches to 4 inches of a full touch screen. The processor was upgraded from the 4760 to the 4-core RK3188, and the RAM from 768K to 2G, the built-in storage from 0 to 32G.

2. Powerful sound performance. The 2.5 balanced headphone output first appeared on the FiiO player, supporting native DSD decoding and using dual DAC and dual crystal oscillator.

3. The overall design gave us an impression of transformation from function phones to smart phones. The addition of wireless 2.4G/5GWIFI, Bluetooth, quick charge equipping for the first time in players industry, etc. expressed our thoughtfulness.

4. Powerful driven capacity. Due to the introduction of the balanced output, the output power of the X5III has become very large. The balanced output under 32 ohms reaches more than 800mW. What is more unexpected is that we have kept a secret that the power supply voltage actually has 2 levels. Later in the firmware upgrade, we would release this hidden skill, so that under the balanced output, the output power would be close to 1000mW by increasing the working voltage and entering turbo mode. Frankly speaking, under 32-ohm output power, few players could beat the X5III even today.

5. Easy-to-use system and app. For the X5III, we have equipped with FiiO's own highly customized Android operating system and self-developed FiiO Music App. This continues the excellent user experience of which FiiO has always been praised.

In terms of sales performance, the X5III is the model that has the best saleroom in FiiO's history. In terms of awards winning, it has won dozens of different awards around the world, such as the iF, Red Dot Award European EISA, Japanese VGP, etc. Although its sound quality is not as good as the X7, and the sales volume is not as good as the X1, the X5III must be the well-deserved one if we pick out a representative from the X series.

1.jpg

2.jpg

X5III-EN.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back