Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 18, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #15,541 of 15,897
been searching for an answer and thought i would go ahead and ask. Has anybody replaced the battery in their X5iii? I am only getting about an hour after a full night charging, and this is with wifi and Bluetooth off. I know it can be sent back to china for replacement, but was hoping this is something i could do my self with a little direction.

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #15,542 of 15,897
1. remove the two screws underneath / beside the usb port
2. remove the back cover (bottom sliding out first) as there is guide lock in the cover.
IMG_20200219_045121.jpg

this is a bit tricky and you have to be careful as the battery is glued and you have to move opposite the guide lock with FORCE and you might rip the ribbon/connector as I did at first. i think it is recommended to get those suction scissors or you have to be precise in your movement

IMG_20200219_044554.jpg

3. unscrew the battery terminal protector

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #15,543 of 15,897
1. remove the two screws underneath / beside the usb port
2. remove the back cover (bottom sliding out first) as there is guide lock in the cover. IMG_20200219_045121.jpg

this is a bit tricky and you have to be careful as the battery is glued and you have to move opposite the guide lock with FORCE and you might rip the ribbon/connector as I did at first. i think it is recommended to get those suction scissors or you have to be precise in your movement

IMG_20200219_044554.jpg

3. unscrew the battery terminal protector
wow! perfect Thankyou!
By chance does anyone have a link to the proper battery

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #15,544 of 15,897
Hi, spanner43 and xnuthecaveman. You are both obviously experienced X5iii users. I got my X5iii a couple of weeks ago.

Could either of you answer my charging question? The User Manual recommends using a DC9 12V 2A quick charge adapter to quick charge the X5iii. To charge my Bose headphones, I use a mains plug with a USB connection. As an alternative to a normal charge from my iMac USB port, can I use the the plug I charge the headphones with?

The reason I'm asking such an obvious question, any other mobile device I've ever had - ipod, ipad, headphones, satnav etc, have come with a charging adapter. I've just plugged that into the mains socket, and charged quite happily. I don't want to do that with my X5iii in case I blow it up!

So, is it OK to use the plug and cable I use for my Bose headphones, or do I need to buy another adapter to charge from the mains?

I'd rather ask a stupid question than blow up my nice new FiiO X5iii by doing something stupid.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #15,546 of 15,897
Hi, spanner43 and xnuthecaveman. You are both obviously experienced X5iii users. I got my X5iii a couple of weeks ago.

Could either of you answer my charging question? The User Manual recommends using a DC9 12V 2A quick charge adapter to quick charge the X5iii. To charge my Bose headphones, I use a mains plug with a USB connection. As an alternative to a normal charge from my iMac USB port, can I use the the plug I charge the headphones with?

The reason I'm asking such an obvious question, any other mobile device I've ever had - ipod, ipad, headphones, satnav etc, have come with a charging adapter. I've just plugged that into the mains socket, and charged quite happily. I don't want to do that with my X5iii in case I blow it up!

So, is it OK to use the plug and cable I use for my Bose headphones, or do I need to buy another adapter to charge from the mains?

I'd rather ask a stupid question than blow up my nice new FiiO X5iii by doing something stupid.

Thanks.

I used an old 5V 2A charger for my X5iii :) this is the same as PC outlet. you can try to check the bose manual to confirm if it uses 5V, if yes, it should be fine. but it would take a while.

Mar 23, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #15,549 of 15,897
If I were to exchange that to USD, I'd easily pay $167 for one.

Now to mention the added fuss (FUN) of installing the custom kernel for X5iii.

If you get the X5iii you're gonna need to tinker, so bear that in mind.

If you want pentacon balanced, & a higher def screen, R5 looks pretty slick!

Up to you, in the end.

Mar 27, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #15,552 of 15,897
Not sure anyone has had this issue with Tidal.

After I did a recovery mode data and cache wipe yesterday I reinstalled a few streaming apps on my X5III (stock FW 1.25) such as Tidal, Spotify, etc. from the Play Store. They were the latest versions. When I then tried to login to Tidal, after I entered my username, the "continue" button did not become active and it was impossible to move onto the next step of entering a password. I tried everything, wiped cache, reinstalled, etc., same thing.

In FiiO general discussion (on the FiiO website) I discovered a few people had had the same issue and this has been a problem for the X5 since late fall 2019 at some Tidal Android version post- 2.13. Apparently affects the X7II also.

Someone posted that installing version 2.13 .apk normalized it again and they were able to login--worked for me too. After I had successfully logged-in I updated via the Play Store to v. 2.20xx and it stayed logged-in.

Tidal issue or FiiO issue...? who knows? Anyway, for anyone having to reinstall Tidal for some reason, something to keep in mind.
I just had to do a full reset because all the apps stated crashing. I think attempting to use Atmos with Tidal is the cause for some reason. Sony 360 reality is also a problem too.
so I got things working. If you wish you can join my strategy:
1) I reset to factory settings
2) Use the FiiO marketplace to download Tidal. Avoid installing any other apps at this point.
3) Make sure that you can log into Tidal with the old version. If you can’t login to Tidal with the old version it’s a total problem with your membership not necessarily with your DAC.
4) Update Tidal to the latest version (February 2020) using the Google play store.
And you should be done. Avoid the temptation to steam Atmos and Sony 360 files. The app will crash and I think data corruption messed up my FiiO so bad that I had to perform a factory reset.

Can anyone tell me how I can do a flash of my current setup incase I need to reset the device again? So I won’t have to go through all the work the configure it and re-download all the apps...

Mar 27, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #15,553 of 15,897
Random thoughts because I have too much time due to social isolation because of the COVID-19 epidemic.....

When playing Master files on Tidal my X5iii doesn’t sound as good as when using my iFi iDSD nano BL... is that because the FiiO not actually unfolding the MQA but just playing as if it’s a regular compressed file? Because officially the field is not Support MQA? It does sound nice when listening to DSD on SACD ISO’s!
Any way to correct this with a future firmware update? I also would love to be able to listen to ATMOS and Sony 360 format files. Any chance of that happening. Has anyone had any success with Sony 360. How about the Sony headphone app. How it scans the shape of your external ears to optimize the 3D audio experience is intriguing to me and makes sense from a (brain) signal processing perspective... BUT there is no camera on the 5Xiii so how am I supposed to take a picture of my ears??? Any workaround? Maybe a “virtual camera”

Mar 27, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #15,555 of 15,897
It might be the protective glass that came preinstalled; if so you are in luck. Just carefully peel it off...

I ordered the screen protectors directly from FiiO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back