Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Dec 11, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #15,466 of 15,897
Initially I thought so too, but we ran a lot of experiments here and on 4PDA and the tests do indeed show 192/384kHz max rates.
Look at this post here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...dual-card-slot.828402/page-1013#post-15047876

If you've copied it from your nexus 6 you'd need to manually patch in the high bitrate codecs. Suggest you do a diff merge (or send me the files you've changed and I'll do it for you). Then run dumpsys media.audio_flinger on all media permutations - especially with v4a disabled. Remember - the max sampling rate of v4a is 48000Hz so everything is downsampled through that driver. Doesn't mean it sounds any worse though... in fact through most (streamed) audio it will sound more coloured.

I was hoping you'd say that because I knew that we had to merge stuff but i dont know what yet lol. Ive been up all day on that stupid fiio looking at those config files and my head is spinning from trying to figure it out and what Im looking at. I dont understand you need a dumpsys media audio flinger ok your going to have to explain how to get one. I also was on magisk so I flashed supersu and redid my nexus setup to better match the fiio. I dont know if that matters I did before I read you needed anything. See thats from your page the fiio dac.

Device 1:
- type: AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_USB_DEVICE

Outputs dump:
- Output 2 dump:
ID: 4
Sampling rate: 48000
Format: 00000001
Channels: 00000003
Latency: 341
Flags 00000002
Devices 00000002
Stream volume refCount muteCoun

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #15,467 of 15,897
This is the high res the headphone output.
- type: AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET
- sampling rates: 44100, 48000, 6000, 8000, 11025, 22050, 16000, 24000, 32000, 64000, 128000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
- channel masks: 0x0003
- formats: AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT, AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_32_BIT, AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_FLOAT, AUDIO_FORMAT_DSD64, AUDIO_FORMAT_DSD128, AUDIO_FORMAT_DSD256

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #15,468 of 15,897
In terminal or from powershell window where platform tools are, type and hit enter
Code:
adb shell
then type and hit enter
Code:
dumpsys media.audio_flinger

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #15,469 of 15,897
Hi everyone, I am looking to get a Dap and saw that the fiio x3 it at $200 atm which is a reasonable price. This will be my first Dap and I will also be hooking it up with line out to my modest hi-fi setup using it as a dac/player. Is the x3 still a good option or should I look alsewhere. I would appreciate some feedback here or by pm.
Thanks
my bad i read your post as X5iii when you clearly sad X3. Even so before I had the X5III i used my X3 with the dk docking station and as a portable player and really liked and still like it. I replaced it because i like the streaming options of the new android players.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #15,471 of 15,897
Initially I thought so too, but we ran a lot of experiments here and on 4PDA and the tests do indeed show 192/384kHz max rates.
Look at this post here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...dual-card-slot.828402/page-1013#post-15047876

If you've copied it from your nexus 6 you'd need to manually patch in the high bitrate codecs. Suggest you do a diff merge (or send me the files you've changed and I'll do it for you). Then run dumpsys media.audio_flinger on all media permutations - especially with v4a disabled. Remember - the max sampling rate of v4a is 48000Hz so everything is downsampled through that driver. Doesn't mean it sounds any worse though... in fact through most (streamed) audio it will sound more coloured.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Py-RJr50SdBrTqWPY9w3MV6Liq2bNjIK/view?usp=sharing

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #15,473 of 15,897
I was hoping you'd say that because I knew that we had to merge stuff but i dont know what yet lol. Ive been up all day on that stupid fiio looking at those config files and my head is spinning from trying to figure it out and what Im looking at. I dont understand you need a dumpsys media audio flinger ok your going to have to explain how to get one. I also was on magisk so I flashed supersu and redid my nexus setup to better match the fiio. I dont know if that matters I did before I read you needed anything. See thats from your page the fiio dac.

Device 1:
- type: AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_USB_DEVICE

Outputs dump:
- Output 2 dump:
ID: 4
Sampling rate: 48000
Format: 00000001
Channels: 00000003
Latency: 341
Flags 00000002
Devices 00000002
Stream volume refCount muteCoun
Another side note looking at are FIIo config policy and files it shows we have 16bit 48000k usb HW nodes. That means they lied we only have high resolution headphones. Anyone want to buy another one. lol USB DAC is not 24bit is what im saying, The software says 16bit. Not my file from my nexus go look at your files with root explorer audio config effects and policy.
Pretty sure this is what would be output from the X5iii's microUSB connection if you had another USB DAC, no?

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #15,474 of 15,897
my bad i read your post as X5iii when you clearly sad X3. Even so before I had the X5III i used my X3 with the dk docking station and as a portable player and really liked and still like it. I replaced it because i like the streaming options of the new android players.

Go
Pretty sure this is what would be output from the X5iii's microUSB connection if you had another USB DAC, no?

I don't know for sure but I hope your right. I didn't think about that

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #15,475 of 15,897
On a different note kinda still sound related. If anyone has messed around with the viper IRS files let me be the first to say they probably think they all suck. It's because they never work right over the years I've heard everyone say the IRS files are so great and I thought are you kidding they sound like garbage most of the time. Then lately I decided to give them another shot with magisk and audio compatibility. It's not like I thought at all they can be excellent if you find a good one which isn't easy there's over 1300 of them I've gone through about all of them and I would say roughly 20-30 maybe are good with 5 being excellent. My favorite was the surround 7.1 I promise it sounds different on a different device then the fiio I sounds rough on the fiio. I don't understand why they don't play right in most devices but I figured no one ever just comes out and says yeah that sucks on this threads or forum's so I thought I would. All of the sound mods on XDA are garbage except viper. Dolby sounds awful just really bad. I think it's funny reading everyone say how great they sound but they are just going to use viper. It's like man do the developers even listen to it.

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #15,476 of 15,897
The best part of Viper being installed through the whole system is that it can play DSD files and Viper will still work. If you use viper effects on the FIIO app it shuts off on DSD. So its a improvement. USB DAC doesn't play with viper though it would be cool. If you guys got the USB audio player pro app maybe it will. If it does tell me and Ill buy it because I cant get the free downloaded ones to work on any device it says you need the latest app and Jasi patcher or lucky patcher cant get it to work.

Forgot Bluetooth use your headphones to control volume if you go below 50 it will shut off but if you go back up itll turn back on. So I use my headphones to control the volume and that works perfectly. Its not perfect but its a start and it still works better then it did through the fiio app. I personally say poweramp over neutron is much cleaner sounding with viper but if you like neutron and the extra options do that.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #15,477 of 15,897
The best part of Viper being installed through the whole system is that it can play DSD files and Viper will still work. If you use viper effects on the FIIO app it shuts off on DSD. So its a improvement. USB DAC doesn't play with viper though it would be cool. If you guys got the USB audio player pro app maybe it will. If it does tell me and Ill buy it because I cant get the free downloaded ones to work on any device it says you need the latest app and Jasi patcher or lucky patcher cant get it to work.

Forgot Bluetooth use your headphones to control volume if you go below 50 it will shut off but if you go back up itll turn back on. So I use my headphones to control the volume and that works perfectly. Its not perfect but its a start and it still works better then it did through the fiio app. I personally say poweramp over neutron is much cleaner sounding with viper but if you like neutron and the extra options do that.

USB override will need to be patched via audio_policy as well. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to go through it all.

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #15,478 of 15,897
USB override will need to be patched via audio_policy as well. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to go through it all.

Hopefully it would be cool. Ive never used viper USB through my phone either. I would if I could get the app to work. Im surprised I got your notification Ive started turning on Notifications on gmail but it goes off every second for stupid crap so then I dont even check. I did also notice in firmware 1.2.1 fiio made it so the music app always takes over and you have to back out with exit or the little icon on the screen I wish they wouldn't have done that I dont like it.

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #15,479 of 15,897

Its funny android changes every year. I looked through my oreo and pie rom devices and they dont even use a audio_config policy anymore. I started getting into development and built a couple roms but I ended up quitting for a couple reasons. I cant figure out how to get the vendor, and hardware files if someone else doesnt already have them online and It also changes so much that its overwhelming. Theres also the fact that XDA isnt that big of help for that stuff. They say read the threads but its never useful information just people saying read the opening post. So I said to hell with it. My goal would be to build for devices that dont have anything built and I cant figure out how to do that unless theres already something built. Like TWRP omni Pie is that what version of TWRP 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 they dont say. How do you get the blobs if the muppets dont have the files? How do they get them first there has to be a way to pull them of the device or something without root.

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #15,480 of 15,897

Good luck getting the high fi headphone output to work I took a stab at it cause I have nothing going on. I dont know but I lined up every signal thing and added the stuff that wasnt on Nexus 6 audio policy and headphones quit working with viper. I tried a couple times. Maybe thats why they never finished whos to say its that easy. No other problems though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back