Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 11, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #14,626 of 15,897
How about a picture of the battery? Glad they are taking care of it.

It looks almost depressingly normal at this point. I suspect the chore of freeing it from the heavy duty adhesive FiiO uses to secure it to the back plate resulted in some venting; Always do this stuff in a well-ventilated area, kids! At the moment, I'm treating it as if it were a sleeping rattlesnake and in a few days it will take a carefully supervised trip down to the local recycling center where it will meet its final reward. Or at least be someone else's sleeping rattlesnake.

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #14,631 of 15,897
i have fiio x5iii with 1.2.3 ofc , i looked previous pages now i can make the kernel things and that brings better sound quality and performance right ?
Sound, no.
Performance, yes.

Though tbh I’ve not lived on 1.2.3 OFW without the kernel long enough (if ever) to truthfully say there’s a difference.

It’s been an improvement ever since 1.2.1, any improvements through firmware have been icing on the (CAKE EMOJI IS A LIE) .

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #14,632 of 15,897
Sound, no.

Sound modification has intentionally been left untouched from my kernel because
(i) it's an incredibly sensitive/subjective topic
(ii) the source code to libaudioflinger.so has not been published, so changes to it will be akin to taking a hammer to a watch.

Suffice to say, however, that if you want to modify the sound envelope in your FiiO, you need to do one of the following:

1) Amend soundfx libraries in /system (will affect FiiO Music, Apollo and any players that use the graphic eq)
2) Amend libaudioflinger.so file or use one from previous FiiO versions (will affect any player that directly writes to the AK4490, such as Neutron, UAPP, Tidal et al)

For what it's worth, I'm using libaudioflinger from v1.2.1 into my own OFW 1.2.3, as it's my preferred sound envelope with my own music circuitry.

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #14,633 of 15,897
That’s helpful to know, thanks!

Can the 1.2.1 libaudioflinger.so file only be fetched from an active install of 1.2.1? or is there a way to explore an ota zip or update image from 1.2.1 to get that if I felt like experimenting?

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #14,634 of 15,897
It's quite easy to change, as you only need to extract the file from the ota zip in question, and you can change it in real-time to decide which version suits your aural preference.

Just push the respective version of the library to the (rw) filesystem at /system/lib/libaudioflinger.so, chmod 644 and android loads the new envelope automatically.

Someone's even gone to the trouble of publishing all the FiiO libaudioflinger versions online, but for legal reasons I'm not going to do that here... GIYF :)

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #14,635 of 15,897
Has anyone tried using the newer 512 GB cards with the X5iii (or any other similar DAP)? they are available for a reasonable price at Amazon today. I could use one (or more!). My Grateful Dead collection alone is nearly 400 GB!!! :)

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #14,637 of 15,897
I’d need one too if my favorite bands were as prolific about putting out so much live material :frowning2:

Jam band wise I do love Umphrey’s McGee..

Cemetery Walk II from Ashbury Park, NJ 2018/06/30 is just mental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back