Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 9, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #14,611 of 15,897
Mar 9, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #14,612 of 15,897
If on prior firmware just connect to WiFi and the update should pop up as an OverTheAir upgrade.

Mar 9, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #14,613 of 15,897
Sorry, I thought that OFW was the name of another modded firmware... :wink:

Mar 9, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #14,614 of 15,897
What do I need to install X5iii-jkbuha-V2.7-TWRP ?

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #14,615 of 15,897
What do I need to install X5iii-jkbuha-V2.7-TWRP ?
they were posted on the previous page *whoosh*

here is another link to them.
just omit any steps pertaining to the installation of the custom rom.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-dual-card-slot.828402/page-965#post-14769688

at the end of all that, once you get to the first boot with kernel and scripts installed, leave the device running for a bit (is it 1-2 minutes? or is it 1-2 hours?) then reboot it. it’s easy to miss but there will be a little prompt on the bottom of the screen when you unlock the device telling you the kernel optimizations are ready.

Mar 10, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #14,616 of 15,897
at the end of all that, once you get to the first boot with kernel and scripts installed, leave the device running for a bit (is it 1-2 minutes? or is it 1-2 hours?) then reboot it. it’s easy to miss but there will be a little prompt on the bottom of the screen when you unlock the device telling you the kernel optimizations are ready.

From V2.6 onwards you can just boot the player for the first time, leave the device running for 1-2 minutes (not hours) and then reboot. As @WitzyZed noted, you'll get a small prompt saying Kernel Optimisation Ready.

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #14,617 of 15,897
Ok thank you all for your help, I will try this :)

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #14,618 of 15,897
After some time spent on the latest stock firmware and the latest kernal from jkbuha, i encountered one little hiccup, after a song was done my unit went on pause, for whatever reason.
Other than that it's been running with zero problems. I know on older versions of fiio music app i would get the occasional skip on various songs. I have not experienced that at all now.
Today i was using JetAudio when my unit went on pause.

Mar 10, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #14,619 of 15,897
After some time spent on the latest stock firmware and the latest kernal from jkbuha, i encountered one little hiccup, after a song was done my unit went on pause, for whatever reason.
Other than that it's been running with zero problems. I know on older versions of fiio music app i would get the occasional skip on various songs. I have not experienced that at all now.
Today i was using JetAudio when my unit went on pause.

Hey ElKabong--on an entirely unrelated side note re the X5, (although still sort of audio-related)...after reading your head-fi name multiple times from various postings, I kept trying to remember what the Elkabong thing was, as it reminded me of something from my childhood watching cartoons in the 60's. Then it dawned on me when I blew up your avatar-Quick Draw McGraw! If you haven't read the Wikipedia entry for him it's a real hoot, especially the super-accurate description of the cartoon guitar and how they got the soundtrack for the "ElKabong". Something satisfying in the violent explosion of the guitar as it smashed down as I think we also used to run around going ElKabong Elkabong!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #14,620 of 15,897
Hey ElKabong--on an entirely unrelated side note re the X5, (although still sort of audio-related)...after reading your head-fi name multiple times from various postings, I kept trying to remember what the Elkabong thing was, as it reminded me of something from my childhood watching cartoons in the 60's. Then it dawned on me when I blew up your avatar-Quick Draw McGraw! If you haven't read the Wikipedia entry for him it's a real hoot, especially the super-accurate description of the cartoon guitar and how they got the soundtrack for the "ElKabong". Something satisfying in the violent explosion of the guitar as it smashed down as I think we also used to run around going ElKabong Elkabong!
That's who i based it on, watched that cartoon when i was a youngster myself, and always liked ElKabong, wrecking somebody's noodle with his acoustic geetar.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #14,621 of 15,897
After briefly owning a FIIO docking station I decided I liked the idea of having a stand for charging my X5. From a prior hobby of beer brewing I used a leftover stainless fitting & rubber stopper with some hot glue and a drill bit to create this one off stand. Figured I'd share the photo's and maybe someone else will come up with something even better that I can copy.
IMG_20190310_234019871.jpg
IMG_20190310_234003385.jpg

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #14,623 of 15,897
Follow-up for anyone following the drama of my bursting battery issue. FiiO is now in touch with me and we are hashing out the details on getting a replacement battery shipped here. They say the cost is $20 (USD) shipped which I think is perfectly reasonable.

In the meantime, it may interest you to know that -- having removed the damaged battery from the unit -- I find that when attached to a power source such as the K5 dock, the x5III will actually boot up as normal and function without a battery installed at all. That takes a little bit of the edge off... even if it's not very portable at the moment (yeah, I could attach it to an external battery pack), it works.

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #14,625 of 15,897
How about a picture of the battery? Glad they are taking care of it.
Follow-up for anyone following the drama of my bursting battery issue. FiiO is now in touch with me and we are hashing out the details on getting a replacement battery shipped here. They say the cost is $20 (USD) shipped which I think is perfectly reasonable.

In the meantime, it may interest you to know that -- having removed the damaged battery from the unit -- I find that when attached to a power source such as the K5 dock, the x5III will actually boot up as normal and function without a battery installed at all. That takes a little bit of the edge off... even if it's not very portable at the moment (yeah, I could attach it to an external battery pack), it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back