Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 18, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #14,506 of 15,897
Anybody having issues with the equalizer working with the stock fiio player? i have turned it on and went through the presets and notice no difference what so ever.
Whether using android mode or pure music mode, i'm on the 1.2.2 firmware. i have to use jetaudio or power player to get any effects i can toy with.
Shame about viper not being in this iteration.
Dear friend,

Can you feel the volume reduce after turning on the EQ function? If yes, the EQ function did work.

The agreement of cooperation between FiiO and ViPER's Audio has expired, so we're afraid that the new version of FiiO Music will no longer have the embedded ViPER Effect plugin. However, we've been working hard on the dynamic EQ and will try our best to develop more audio effects.

If you have purchased the ViPER Effects and would like to continue using it, you may download the apk file of the old version, copy it to the player, and then install it through ES File Explorer (this will overwrite the new version). If you have any other questions, please kindly contact us

(We've changed the database structure of FiiO music, so the player will transfer data from the old database to the new one during update. And in order to prevent errors, the player will scan the music lists during the transfer and remove the tracks that are not found in the storage. So please remember to insert the SD cards to the correct slot before updating the player, so to ensure that the lists are transferred entirely. )

Download link for the FiiO Music old version (apk): Click here

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 18, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #14,508 of 15,897
I just put the q5 in my shirt pocket and have the iPod touch on the desk. However, I work in an IT dept so having tech on the desk is normal
It's not the tech, it's the cameras on the mobiles that are banned due to client confidentiality.

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #14,509 of 15,897
hi all -
well i must admit i've only used my x5 iii a few times since i've purchased it which was quite awhile ago. no reason against the device it's just a lifestyle change i haven't jumped into yet whatever.
so i have started to play with it again and want to get it really set up etc. is it me or is the output on this extremely low? i used a headphone plug to RCA cable into my receiver and really had to crank the receiver to get any good volume. this was with the x5 set at a volume of 90 and using the fiio music app. also note i haven't updated to the latest fiio music or firmware etc. i've got the stuff from about a year ago which was running pretty stable for most here.

any advice outside of getting an amp lol

Feb 18, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #14,511 of 15,897
I need some help formatting new SD Cards. I decided to replace the two 200 gb SD cards I've been using with 400gb cards (San Disk). I unmounted and removed the old cards and inserted the new ones. The card in slot 1 seems to have been formatted correctly. When I look on windows explorer, it has a "lost.dir" folder and an "Android" folder. When I connected to my Mac with iSyncr, iSyncr added a "Syncr" folder, and I'm able to sync files from my iTunes onto the card.
The care in slot 2, however, only has the "lost.dir" folder -- it does not have the "Android" folder. When I connect to iSyncr on my Mac, iSyncr does not see the slot 2 card. I've tried reformatting the card, using both Mac's Disk Utilities and Windows. No luck.
The only formatting option I see on the Fiio is through their Pure Music app -- I don't see a format storage option on the main "settings/storage" function -- perhaps I'm missing it?
Any suggestions for how to get the second SD card properly formatted so that iSyncr recognizes it?

Thank in advance.

I seemed to have solved my problem by simply copying the Android folder from SD 1 to SD 2.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #14,512 of 15,897
hi all -
well i must admit i've only used my x5 iii a few times since i've purchased it which was quite awhile ago. no reason against the device it's just a lifestyle change i haven't jumped into yet whatever.
so i have started to play with it again and want to get it really set up etc. is it me or is the output on this extremely low? i used a headphone plug to RCA cable into my receiver and really had to crank the receiver to get any good volume. this was with the x5 set at a volume of 90 and using the fiio music app. also note i haven't updated to the latest fiio music or firmware etc. i've got the stuff from about a year ago which was running pretty stable for most here.

any advice outside of getting an amp lol

Are you connecting the line out from the X5III (not the headphone out) to your receiver? Line out should give decent line level signal to your receiver and the volume will then be controlled exclusively from the receiver. I'm assuming your connecting it to the AUX input or tape monitor on your receiver? I run the line out from my X5III occasionally into my old integrated amp's tape monitor and you can crank it up quite a bit.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #14,513 of 15,897
To everyone running Fidelizer 1.2.1/1.2.2 with my kernel:

I've just noticed that Fidelizer's ROM uses all of the system partition, so some of my very important scripts will not install on the system partition because of insufficient space. So you won't get the full benefit of v2.5.

If you still wish to keep using my kernel with Fidelizer's ROM then do the following:

adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
rm /system/media/*.flac
rm /system/media/*.pdf
exit
exit
adb reboot recovery

then re-install my v2.5 kernel zip

I recently installed the v2.5 kernel and superSU from the steps provided a couple of pages back. However now the X5 restarts unexpectedly and seems unusable. Where can I get the old kernel? Can I reflash that instead? Can't use my dap now.

Feb 20, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #14,514 of 15,897
If you're experiencing random reboots, it is likely that your CPU is more sensitive to higher clock speeds and DRAM settings. Install this version of the kernel instead:

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397892438

It has all the benefits of the new kernel with lower timings.

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #14,517 of 15,897
in the new version of Fiio Music App, is there any way to search by artist and the result is grouped by albums?
Dear friend,

No, but we will report to the engineer for checking the feasibility of adding this feature.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 23, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #14,518 of 15,897
Dear Head-Fi community

After some extensive work over the last few weeks I am very happy to announce the latest release - Version 2.6 of the @FiiO X5iii custom kernel. This release contains by far the largest amount of new features and changes, and elevates the player usability and user experience in a class above its own. Indeed comparing the original factory versions with this custom kernel gives the X5 a new premium feel in terms of smoothness and execution.

Changelog

Version 2.6
New: UKSM instead of KSM (much faster)
New: ZRAM (more RAM)
New: fsync_disable (much, much faster)
New: ROW I/O scheduler for SD cards (much faster)
New: LZ4 Compression instead of LZO (faster, more compression)
New: zsmalloc implementation instead of xsmalloc
New: zcache enabling (faster)
New: ARM RSEM implementation (faster)
New: frandom generator instead of random (much, much faster)
New: MSG pop-up notification daemon
Fix: Lowered voltage for some FiiO players with lower-grade VCOs
Fix: Corrected git file dependencies
Fix: Disabled system animation by default

Previous Versions

Version 2.5
New: Increased max clock speed to 1752MHz (faster)
New: BFQ I/O scheduler (faster)
New: Westwood TCP/IP congestion protocol (much faster)
New: InteractiveX governor (much, much, much faster)
Fix: Stability checks to voltage
Fix: iX handling changes

Version 2.4
New: Maple I/O Scheduler (faster)
New: init.d full support (much, much faster)
New: init.d scripts (thanks prispewnic @ 4PDA)

Version 2.3
New: Zen I/O scheduler (much faster)

Version 2.2
Fix: Changes to scheduler priorities during screen off (faster)

Version 2.1
New: Additional GPU and DDR overclocking (much, much faster)

Version 1.5
New: Update to Linaro gcc 4.9.4 (significantly much faster)

Version 1.4
New: SIO I/O scheduler (faster)
New: VR I/O scheduler (faster)

Version 1.3
New: CPU clock to 1704MHz (much, much faster)

Version 1.2
New: Additional voltage optimisation and DDR overclocking

Version 1.1
New: GPIO optimisation and documentation
New: CPU clock to 1518MHz (faster)

Version 1.0
Initial system release and branch-off from FiiO GPL code

Installation instructions:

1) Windows and/or first-time users
If you already have TWRP or a previous version of my kernel, go to step 2.

a) If you don't yet have TWRP and/or any previous version of my kernel yet, download the Windows-based loader here and unzip to a folder
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397899882
(note: you need to have the FiiO USB Windows drivers correctly installed)
b) Run the AndroidTool.exe program and connect the FiiO via USB.
c) Put the player in bootloader mode (just as if you were going to upgrade the player the traditional FiiO way with the Windows-based loader), by pressing power+pause+back.
d) If all goes well you should see the green light with 'Found One Loader Device'. Make sure 'boot' and 'recovery_twrp' are selected and press Run. Once done, click the 'Advanced Function' tab and click Reset Device. You should have the new kernel and TWRP installed!

2) TWRP users

a) Download the latest version of the kernel (with new optimisation scripts) here:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397899873 and push to sdcard
b) Reboot to TWRP recovery
c) Install -> FiiO-X5iii-jkbuha-V2.6-TWRP.zip
d) Wipe kernel and dalvik cache
e) Reboot
f) IMPORTANT: leave running for 1-2m for new scripts to do their magic
g) Reboot
h) Enjoy :)

3) Hints and Tips
After the first couple of reboots, you should immediately see an increase in usability and responsiveness due to the new kernel features and scripts in play.

If you're using Fidelizer (as I am) then you'll need to delete *.flac and *.pdf from your /system/media folder before you install my kernel.

Note that this version pushes the hardware to its maximum capabilities, so if you experience any random reboots, it's likely that your specific player may need slightly lower tuning settings. PM me and I'll send you a custom build!

Thanks and Rants

Again, massive thanks to prispewnic's product suggestions. His extensive knowledge of requirements and scripting have been the source behind all these new great features. Thanks also to the great community of users here on this forum, your support and feedback so far has been incredible.

Thanks also to @FiiO for releasing the first GPL of the source code back in June. If it weren’t for you we wouldn’t have this modded kernel. Also - gentle reminder - could you kindly release the source code for firmware version 1.2.2?

Coming up next

Version 3 is next, this will be quite an ambitious project, so expect even better CPU governors, I/O schedulers and faster internet on this player in the coming weeks

As always, any queries, comments etc - please shout.

Moderators - could someone pin this to the first post of this topic? It's a real shame that new users have to trudge through 1000 odd pages before they get to this...

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #14,519 of 15,897
Dear Head-Fi community

After some extensive work over the last few weeks I am very happy to announce the latest release - Version 2.6 of the @FiiO X5iii custom kernel. This release contains by far the largest amount of new features and changes, and elevates the player usability and user experience in a class above its own. Indeed comparing the original factory versions with this custom kernel gives the X5 a new premium feel in terms of smoothness and execution.

Changelog

Version 2.6
New: UKSM instead of KSM (much faster)
New: ZRAM (more RAM)
New: fsync_disable (much, much faster)
New: ROW I/O scheduler for SD cards (much faster)
New: LZ4 Compression instead of LZO (faster, more compression)
New: zsmalloc implementation instead of xsmalloc
New: zcache enabling (faster)
New: ARM RSEM implementation (faster)
New: frandom generator instead of random (much, much faster)
New: MSG pop-up notification daemon
Fix: Lowered voltage for some FiiO players with lower-grade VCOs
Fix: Corrected git file dependencies
Fix: Disabled system animation by default

Previous Versions

Version 2.5
New: Increased max clock speed to 1752MHz (faster)
New: BFQ I/O scheduler (faster)
New: Westwood TCP/IP congestion protocol (much faster)
New: InteractiveX governor (much, much, much faster)
Fix: Stability checks to voltage
Fix: iX handling changes

Version 2.4
New: Maple I/O Scheduler (faster)
New: init.d full support (much, much faster)
New: init.d scripts (thanks prispewnic @ 4PDA)

Version 2.3
New: Zen I/O scheduler (much faster)

Version 2.2
Fix: Changes to scheduler priorities during screen off (faster)

Version 2.1
New: Additional GPU and DDR overclocking (much, much faster)

Version 1.5
New: Update to Linaro gcc 4.9.4 (significantly much faster)

Version 1.4
New: SIO I/O scheduler (faster)
New: VR I/O scheduler (faster)

Version 1.3
New: CPU clock to 1704MHz (much, much faster)

Version 1.2
New: Additional voltage optimisation and DDR overclocking

Version 1.1
New: GPIO optimisation and documentation
New: CPU clock to 1518MHz (faster)

Version 1.0
Initial system release and branch-off from FiiO GPL code

Installation instructions:

1) Windows and/or first-time users
If you already have TWRP or a previous version of my kernel, go to step 2.

a) If you don't yet have TWRP and/or any previous version of my kernel yet, download the Windows-based loader here and unzip to a folder
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397899882
(note: you need to have the FiiO USB Windows drivers correctly installed)
b) Run the AndroidTool.exe program and connect the FiiO via USB.
c) Put the player in bootloader mode (just as if you were going to upgrade the player the traditional FiiO way with the Windows-based loader), by pressing power+pause+back.
d) If all goes well you should see the green light with 'Found One Loader Device'. Make sure 'boot' and 'recovery_twrp' are selected and press Run. Once done, click the 'Advanced Function' tab and click Reset Device. You should have the new kernel and TWRP installed!

2) TWRP users

a) Download the latest version of the kernel (with new optimisation scripts) here:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397899873 and push to sdcard
b) Reboot to TWRP recovery
c) Install -> FiiO-X5iii-jkbuha-V2.6-TWRP.zip
d) Wipe kernel and dalvik cache
e) Reboot
f) IMPORTANT: leave running for 1-2h for new scripts to do their magic
g) Reboot
h) Enjoy :)

3) Hints and Tips
After the first couple of reboots, you should immediately see an increase in usability and responsiveness due to the new kernel features and scripts in play.
Note that this version pushes the hardware to its maximum capabilities, so if you experience any random reboots, it's likely that your specific player may need slightly lower tuning settings. PM me and I'll send you a custom build!

Thanks and Rants

Again, massive thanks to prispewnic's product suggestions. His extensive knowledge of requirements and scripting have been the source behind all these new great features. Thanks also to the great community of users here, your feedback has been invaluable.

Thanks also to @FiiO for releasing the first GPL of the source code back in June. If it weren’t for you we wouldn’t have this modded kernel. Also - gentle reminder - could you please please release the source code for firmware version 1.2.2?

Coming up next

Version 3 is next, this will be quite an ambitious project, so expect even better CPU governors, I/O schedulers and faster internet on this player in the coming weeks

As always, any queries, comments etc - please shout.

Moderators - could someone pin this to the first post of this topic? It's a real shame that new users have to trudge through 1000 odd pages before they get to this...

I trust Fidelizer still wont play nice with your latest kernel, correct?

Powderphinger

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #14,520 of 15,897
I trust Fidelizer still wont play nice with your latest kernel, correct?

Powderphinger

If you're using Fidelizer (as I am) then you'll need to delete some media files from your system/media folder before you install my kernel. Fidelizer has packed his ROM to the fullest which means /system is almost full

Users who are viewing this thread

Back