Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 1, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #14,416 of 15,897
I'm also impressed by the stability of the FiiO Link function. Gives you control of what's playing from 2nd android device using FiiO music app.
FiiO RM1.jpg
And $ 24 for FiiO RM1 has stayed on a premium quality candy bar.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #14,417 of 15,897
can we bypass the OPamp 426? how?

if I try using UAPP via USB to NX4DSD, the noise is become worse.
that's why I prefer LO output from X5iii to amp....
plus a glitch that USB output to NX4DSD can not when using Spotify.... or there's another way...
enlighten me plz

My USB output to the NX4 DSD via FiiO Music, Videolan, HibyMusic, Spotify and Foobar Perfectly without adjusting. UAPP as well. Deadly silence background. Free Spotify sounds good. When connecting NX4, the UAPP attempt will be set as the default USB DAC driver. Reject him always !!
UAPP has too many settings, and it's also a bit of a surplus. Do you have the USB cable undamaged? Connecting and playing with your smartphone is OK? It's a bit hard to take bend. With setting on UAPP / USB Audio Tweaks - Use USB DAC - adjust to NO, playback smoothly, and will not spoil when Topping is connected. Try it this way. I have Stock firmware, kernel, no TWRP or SU. I have no problem with system speed.

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #14,418 of 15,897

And $ 24 for FiiO RM1 has stayed on a premium quality candy bar.

I don't quite follow your text or point. Why would I spend $20+ for something without a screen when it now functions better controlling from my phone?

Feb 1, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #14,419 of 15,897
I don't quite follow your text or point. Why would I spend $20+ for something without a screen when it now functions better controlling from my phone?

The FiiO link on the smartphone replaces the FiiO RM1 Bluetooth dial-up device. RM1 is about $ 20.
After using the USB output from FiiO to Topping, FiiO can not be taken from any source - USB charger, powerbank. I hope to recover after the battery is fully discharged. Last time, he got up

Feb 1, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #14,420 of 15,897
The FiiO link on the smartphone replaces the FiiO RM1 Bluetooth dial-up device. RM1 is about $ 20.
After using the USB output from FiiO to Topping, FiiO can not be taken from any source - USB charger, powerbank. I hope to recover after the battery is fully discharged. Last time, he got up
Right. Sorry with translations we're probably talking past one one another on that point.

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #14,421 of 15,897
can we bypass the OPamp 426? how?

if I try using UAPP via USB to NX4DSD, the noise is become worse.
that's why I prefer LO output from X5iii to amp....
plus a glitch that USB output to NX4DSD can not when using Spotify.... or there's another way...
enlighten me plz

the Spotify glitch is fixed using Fiio Cable..
but the device always restart the when opening UAPP..
GRRR....:angry: create a new problem by solving a problem... typical.....
20190202_114658.jpg

Edit : the trick not to make X5iii restart, is. turn off the NX4DSD, before enter UAPP. .

Additional. was trying fiio Amp Q1ii, a good combo.. X5iii-USB-Q1ii... the bass is more than with NX4

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #14,422 of 15,897
A PSA about making playlists in the new fiio music app...

Don’t even try. Broken as all get out.

Trying to add things in the order you wish to play them? Not gonna happen.

You get everything inverted.
Unlike in previous versions which at least offered you options for sorting playlist items, that’s just gone to the wayside.

A friend of mine and I often queue up the same songs so we can simulcast across the country.

If I select items A, B, & C from an album, they are put in the order C, B, then A in the playlist they are added to. What a headache.

Feb 2, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #14,425 of 15,897
I am newbie, so sorry for stupid questions: I need working EQ in Spotify, what I should do?

1) do I need a root? or not?
2) what EQ I should install? I know that are many of them. ViPER is most common, but I am not sure that I really need so power solution. Mayby something lighter exist?
3) I use 1.22 firmware.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #14,426 of 15,897
Afternoon all.

After weeks of beta testing, I'm finally able to release the latest version (V2.4) of the kernel in both TWRP and Windows loader formats. A lot of effort has gone into these latest versions, and a lot of people have been involved in beta testing, whose contribution has been nothing short of invaluable, and I would like to thank very much.

*** Preamble ***
For those of you who've already experienced the benefits of the modded kernel with higher clock speed and optimised drivers, this update really brings out the best of performance thanks to new optimised scripts that are now executed every boot-up. The change is as significant as when you installed the modded kernel the first time. It's amazing how much software optimisation was left out of the FiiO player in the first instance. Many thanks to prispewnic from the 4PDA forum for directing me on this; it's thanks to his optimisation work on build.prop and init.d that this player now really shines.

*** Instructions ***
1) If you already have TWRP or a previous version of my kernel, go to step 2.

(Beginners or First-Time-Users)
1a. If you don't yet have TWRP and/or any previous version of my kernel yet, download the Windows-based loader here and unzip to a folder
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603909512

(note: you need to have the FiiO USB Windows drivers correctly installed)

1b. Run the AndroidTool.exe program and connect the FiiO via USB.

1c. Put the player in bootloader mode (just as if you were going to upgrade the player the traditional FiiO way with the Windows based loader), by pressing power+pause+back.

1d. If all goes well you should see the green light with 'Found One Loader Device'. Make sure 'boot' and 'recovery_twrp' are selected and press Run. Once done, click the 'Advanced Function' tab and click Reset Device. You should have the new kernel and TWRP installed!

2) Download the latest version of the kernel (with new optimisation scripts) here:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603909511

2a) Reboot to recovery. For those of you coming from 1), I believe it's power+pause+forward, but you could get there as well through the command prompt (adb reboot recovery) if you have adb installed
2b) Put the file downloaded above in a folder that's readable by TWRP (/sdcard or /int_sdcard)
2c) Choose Install and select the file
2d) Wait for the kernel to install and reboot

3) Enjoy all the new benefits of a slimmer, faster, power-friendly kernel, optimised build profile and run-time optimisation scripts

*** Next Steps ***
I was originally planning to move onto another hardware player, but thanks to prispewnic's suggestions, and the great community of beta testers here, I now have a list of new feature requests I would like to add in subsequent versions to really get the most out of this player. Expect even better CPU governors, I/O schedulers and faster internet on this player in the coming weeks.

As always, any queries, comments etc - please shout.

PS: Moderators - could someone pin this to the first post of this topic? It's a real shame that new users have to trudge through 955 odd pages before they get to this....

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #14,427 of 15,897
JK....

Definately appreciate all of your work and am getting to the point where I am considering implementing your "improvements"... I have a few direct questions:

If I root my X5 do all of your mods:

1. Will I still be able to use Pure Music Mode just as I do now?
2. Will I still have access to all of my Viper Effects?
3. Should I have to change anything at all with my player?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #14,428 of 15,897
JK....

Definately appreciate all of your work and am getting to the point where I am considering implementing your "improvements"... I have a few direct questions:

If I root my X5 do all of your mods:

1. Will I still be able to use Pure Music Mode just as I do now?
2. Will I still have access to all of my Viper Effects?
3. Should I have to change anything at all with my player?

Thanks in advance.

1. Does not affect pure music or android mode in any way insofar as your access to one or another
2. If you are still running fiio firmware 1.2.1 or fidelizer 1.2.1 and have the fiio music 3.4.3 app, your vipereffects remain unperturbed
3. Rooting your player is separate from jkbuha’s kernel. The kernel involves flashing a new recovery image over the stock recovery, so that you can install the new kernel. In the custom recovery you can also install root with SuperSU

If you have windows operating system the steps are very simple.

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #14,429 of 15,897
Hi all

After much testing and iterative development, V2.5 of the modded FiiO X5iii kernel has been released!

Changelog:

1) New awesome interactive-X governor - smooth fast responsive interface
2) BFQ scheduler - better handling of multiple and large files on SD card
3) New overclocking frequency - the FiiO now runs at 1752MHz (which is the theoretically the fastest possible stable frequency given the crappy voltage oscillators surrounding the CPU)
4) New script optimisations - player really feels even faster now
5) Too many other changes to mention...

TWRP version:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603915883

Install over vanilla 1.2.1/1.2.2 or Fidelizer ROM.

Many thanks to prispewnic from 4PDA forum for the tireless suggestions, script work and testing

Enjoy!

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #14,430 of 15,897
Hi all

After much testing and iterative development, V2.5 of the modded FiiO X5iii kernel has been released!

No problems installing, but I do notice that the unit seems to have some issues now re: multitasking. on rooted 1.2.2, using Neutron MP as my player; launching anything else seems to cause the player to stutter. At one point last night (probably when Darker Pro autolaunched - it's a screen dimmer/overlay app), the unit crashed completely.

Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back