Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 28, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #14,341 of 15,897
I really liked UAPP when I first downloaded it, but eventually had to stop using it as it was running really slow on the X5 Gen 3. Does this kernel make it much more usable? I only use My X5 for locally stored music. I won't be using any other apps like streaming services.
hmm. I am using stock Firmware... and install UAPP, consider OK using it. not experiencing much lag.....

20190128_195920.jpg
Stack with E12a... too smooth and warm.. all set up is warm Character , from DAP, AMP and Cable....
Almost be like Tube amp but something is not the same.. can't discribe.

20190128_195228.jpg
Best set up stack for me right now.. with NX4DSD, with benefit also dis benefit...
(+) more natural sound, with netral to bright SS
(+) bass response better when Bass boost on
(-) unbalance due to low impedance pairing
(-) must hear in high volume, or use ifi earbuddy (change sound signature)

flac Song :
James blake "Limit to your love"
JT "Midnight summer jam"
Billie Eilish "BellyAche"

edit : Both of them still have noticeable noise, but pairing NX4DSD slightly less noise in Low Gain mode....

Edit 2 : alternatif using Adapter OKSC 4.4 to 2.5mm, Noise increase... but dynamic really good with High Gain. can't be stack with both amp....

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #14,342 of 15,897
Afternoon all.

After weeks of beta testing, I'm finally able to release the latest version (V2.4) of the kernel in both TWRP and Windows loader formats. A lot of effort has gone into these latest versions, and a lot of people have been involved in beta testing, whose contribution has been nothing short of invaluable, and I would like to thank very much.

*** Preamble ***
For those of you who've already experienced the benefits of the modded kernel with higher clock speed and optimised drivers, this update really brings out the best of performance thanks to new optimised scripts that are now executed every boot-up. The change is as significant as when you installed the modded kernel the first time. It's amazing how much software optimisation was left out of the FiiO player in the first instance. Many thanks to prispewnic from the 4PDA forum for directing me on this; it's thanks to his optimisation work on build.prop and init.d that this player now really shines.

*** Instructions ***
1) If you already have TWRP or a previous version of my kernel, go to step 2.

(Beginners or First-Time-Users)
1a. If you don't yet have TWRP and/or any previous version of my kernel yet, download the Windows-based loader here and unzip to a folder
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603909512

(note: you need to have the FiiO USB Windows drivers correctly installed)

1b. Run the AndroidTool.exe program and connect the FiiO via USB.

1c. Put the player in bootloader mode (just as if you were going to upgrade the player the traditional FiiO way with the Windows based loader), by pressing power+pause+back.

1d. If all goes well you should see the green light with 'Found One Loader Device'. Make sure 'boot' and 'recovery_twrp' are selected and press Run. Once done, click the 'Advanced Function' tab and click Reset Device. You should have the new kernel and TWRP installed!

2) Download the latest version of the kernel (with new optimisation scripts) here:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603909511

2a) Reboot to recovery. For those of you coming from 1), I believe it's power+pause+forward, but you could get there as well through the command prompt (adb reboot recovery) if you have adb installed
2b) Put the file downloaded above in a folder that's readable by TWRP (/sdcard or /int_sdcard)
2c) Choose Install and select the file
2d) Wait for the kernel to install and reboot

3) Enjoy all the new benefits of a slimmer, faster, power-friendly kernel, optimised build profile and run-time optimisation scripts

*** Next Steps ***
I was originally planning to move onto another hardware player, but thanks to prispewnic's suggestions, and the great community of beta testers here, I now have a list of new feature requests I would like to add in subsequent versions to really get the most out of this player. Expect even better CPU governors, I/O schedulers and faster internet on this player in the coming weeks.

As always, any queries, comments etc - please shout.

PS: Moderators - could someone pin this to the first post of this topic? It's a real shame that new users have to trudge through 955 odd pages before they get to this....

Awesome work as always!!

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #14,343 of 15,897
Using the beta firmware and the latest kernal, after everything settled in after installing what i wanted, i still have a bit of lag when using assorted music apps, not too awfully bad, but i do notice the unit runs just a little too warm for my tastes. I see in the beta of the fiio music app they have removed viper effects, hope it makes it back in the final version. I will have to wait for there official firmware release, as i said runs too warm, so i'll shelve the unit until then.

Pity, as i just love the sound this unit produces, i won't go through the whole installation process to downgrade and start over to get it back to where it doesn't run so hot. It may be kernal related, who knows.

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #14,344 of 15,897
Using the beta firmware and the latest kernal, after everything settled in after installing what i wanted, i still have a bit of lag when using assorted music apps, not too awfully bad, but i do notice the unit runs just a little too warm for my tastes. I see in the beta of the fiio music app they have removed viper effects, hope it makes it back in the final version. I will have to wait for there official firmware release, as i said runs too warm, so i'll shelve the unit until then.

Pity, as i just love the sound this unit produces, i won't go through the whole installation process to downgrade and start over to get it back to where it doesn't run so hot. It may be kernal related, who knows.

Glad it's not just me. I am on stock firmware but with the new kernel and also noticed that my device was running warmer than usual. Not to the point where I would be overly concerned and it didn't seem to be having a significant impact on battery but still warmer than with the stock kernel.

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #14,345 of 15,897
Afternoon all.

After weeks of beta testing, I'm finally able to release the latest version (V2.4) of the kernel in both TWRP and Windows loader formats. A lot of effort has gone into these latest versions, and a lot of people have been involved in beta testing, whose contribution has been nothing short of invaluable, and I would like to thank very much.

*** Preamble ***
For those of you who've already experienced the benefits of the modded kernel with higher clock speed and optimised drivers, this update really brings out the best of performance thanks to new optimised scripts that are now executed every boot-up. The change is as significant as when you installed the modded kernel the first time. It's amazing how much software optimisation was left out of the FiiO player in the first instance. Many thanks to prispewnic from the 4PDA forum for directing me on this; it's thanks to his optimisation work on build.prop and init.d that this player now really shines.

*** Instructions ***
1) If you already have TWRP or a previous version of my kernel, go to step 2.

(Beginners or First-Time-Users)
1a. If you don't yet have TWRP and/or any previous version of my kernel yet, download the Windows-based loader here and unzip to a folder
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603909512

(note: you need to have the FiiO USB Windows drivers correctly installed)

1b. Run the AndroidTool.exe program and connect the FiiO via USB.

1c. Put the player in bootloader mode (just as if you were going to upgrade the player the traditional FiiO way with the Windows based loader), by pressing power+pause+back.

1d. If all goes well you should see the green light with 'Found One Loader Device'. Make sure 'boot' and 'recovery_twrp' are selected and press Run. Once done, click the 'Advanced Function' tab and click Reset Device. You should have the new kernel and TWRP installed!

2) Download the latest version of the kernel (with new optimisation scripts) here:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603909511

2a) Reboot to recovery. For those of you coming from 1), I believe it's power+pause+forward, but you could get there as well through the command prompt (adb reboot recovery) if you have adb installed
2b) Put the file downloaded above in a folder that's readable by TWRP (/sdcard or /int_sdcard)
2c) Choose Install and select the file
2d) Wait for the kernel to install and reboot

3) Enjoy all the new benefits of a slimmer, faster, power-friendly kernel, optimised build profile and run-time optimisation scripts

*** Next Steps ***
I was originally planning to move onto another hardware player, but thanks to prispewnic's suggestions, and the great community of beta testers here, I now have a list of new feature requests I would like to add in subsequent versions to really get the most out of this player. Expect even better CPU governors, I/O schedulers and faster internet on this player in the coming weeks.

As always, any queries, comments etc - please shout.

PS: Moderators - could someone pin this to the first post of this topic? It's a real shame that new users have to trudge through 955 odd pages before they get to this....

When install zip, I got "error executing binary in zip"

Already try download from other server and put on other folder, still error.

Please advice, what should I do, thanks

My X5iii on fidelizer and your custom kernel 2.1

Jan 28, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #14,346 of 15,897
Glad it's not just me. I am on stock firmware but with the new kernel and also noticed that my device was running warmer than usual. Not to the point where I would be overly concerned and it didn't seem to be having a significant impact on battery but still warmer than with the stock kernel.

That's most likely cache invalidation, happened to me a few times, and is quite common on android after a few boots. Give it a cache clean in TWRP and let it rebuild on the next boot, and you should be fine. The new scripts will do their work.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #14,347 of 15,897
When install zip, I got "error executing binary in zip"

Already try download from other server and put on other folder, still error.

Please advice, what should I do, thanks

My X5iii on fidelizer and your custom kernel 2.1

First time I've seen this - are you running the installer via TWRP? It's likely a setup issue.
PM me with the logfile and we'll fix this.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #14,349 of 15,897

Just wanted to bump this--are others finding their units warmer after the new kernel's installed?

west0ne--is a safe assumption that the higher temps are due to the new kernel running the hardware harder/more efficiently (i.e., the faster performance aspect)? Does it still feel "safe" to you temperature-wise?

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #14,350 of 15,897
Just wanted to bump this--are others finding their units warmer after the new kernel's installed?

west0ne--is a safe assumption that the higher temps are due to the new kernel running the hardware harder/more efficiently (i.e., the faster performance aspect)? Does it still feel "safe" to you temperature-wise?

I was running it for around 3 hours after installing the new kernel. A mixture of locally stored files and some streaming from Spotify. The unit got warmer than usual but not hot and certainly not hot enough to worry me; I've had phones get hotter.

I will try flushing the cache though to see if that helps.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #14,351 of 15,897
Don't worry about the temperature on first boot after installing the kernel, this is normal. Remember the scripts are working in the background for the first time and rebuilding caches and checking the filesystems.

Jan 28, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #14,353 of 15,897
Okay, I jumped in and gave the new kernel setup a try. What is the best way to see if everything was successful? in settings/about device/kernel version it shows

3.0101+
jkbuha@virtualbox #3
sat jan 19 12:49:18 gmt 2019

That's probably the quickest way to see if you're up and working right :)

Try using your usual apps and see what the difference in responsiveness is. Let me know what you think!

Jan 28, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #14,354 of 15,897
@jkbuha Quick question for you. Using Kernel Aduitor is there any long term harm in using the performance CPU governor over interactive? Also do you have any recommended settings for the scheduler?

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #14,355 of 15,897
I use Performance a lot, especially when trying out a few CPU-intensive apps. Clock stays at 1704MHz
Interactive is the best power/efficiency ratio as it drops to 816MHz when not in use, which is the lowest acceptable speed to respond quicker to wake-ups.

Most of the default settings on Performance work quite well, but I'll have a look and see if there's anything further to optimise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back