Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 25, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #14,326 of 15,897
My combo with the best sound is the UAPP-X5 III-NX4DSD(as DAC)-BGVP DMG without Bass Boost. BGVP DMG boldly confuses my high-weighted FiiO FH5. Other world. Even the FiiO X5 Classic through LineOut play a lot more enjoyable, especially bass. massive upgrades. I have no noise - UAPP in X5 III has been set by BitPerfect for USB Output. Perhaps the ears of an elderly man, perhaps UAPP v. 5.0.6
I think is because the IEM. Solaris is source sensitive...

I try set up UAPP X5iii NX4DSD via USB output (bit perfect on) , noise is lower with POLARIS.... but if via LO is black background....

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #14,327 of 15,897
LineOut is super and no problem. As a bonus of Tooping's battery capacity of 28 hours, FiiO is at least 12-20 hours in LineOut mode. And paradise hard bass kicks in the head, hahaha. Last night I was frozen on my back, I joined Topping and FiiO with the Fiio ML06 cable for FiiO Q1 / Q5 in DAC mode as idiot. It has not responded to the charger until the battery level has fallen to 1%. But he recovered with success. End of the experiment. All cables are properly marked with the manufacturer's trademark.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #14,328 of 15,897
Afternoon all.

After weeks of beta testing, I'm finally able to release the latest version (V2.4) of the kernel in both TWRP and Windows loader formats. A lot of effort has gone into these latest versions, and a lot of people have been involved in beta testing, whose contribution has been nothing short of invaluable, and I would like to thank very much.

*** Preamble ***
For those of you who've already experienced the benefits of the modded kernel with higher clock speed and optimised drivers, this update really brings out the best of performance thanks to new optimised scripts that are now executed every boot-up. The change is as significant as when you installed the modded kernel the first time. It's amazing how much software optimisation was left out of the FiiO player in the first instance. Many thanks to prispewnic from the 4PDA forum for directing me on this; it's thanks to his optimisation work on build.prop and init.d that this player now really shines.

*** Instructions ***
1) If you already have TWRP or a previous version of my kernel, go to step 2.

(Beginners or First-Time-Users)
1a. If you don't yet have TWRP and/or any previous version of my kernel yet, download the Windows-based loader here and unzip to a folder
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603909512

(note: you need to have the FiiO USB Windows drivers correctly installed)

1b. Run the AndroidTool.exe program and connect the FiiO via USB.

1c. Put the player in bootloader mode (just as if you were going to upgrade the player the traditional FiiO way with the Windows based loader), by pressing power+pause+back.

1d. If all goes well you should see the green light with 'Found One Loader Device'. Make sure 'boot' and 'recovery_twrp' are selected and press Run. Once done, click the 'Advanced Function' tab and click Reset Device. You should have the new kernel and TWRP installed!

2) Download the latest version of the kernel (with new optimisation scripts) here:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603909511

2a) Reboot to recovery. For those of you coming from 1), I believe it's power+pause+forward, but you could get there as well through the command prompt (adb reboot recovery) if you have adb installed
2b) Put the file downloaded above in a folder that's readable by TWRP (/sdcard or /int_sdcard)
2c) Choose Install and select the file
2d) Wait for the kernel to install and reboot

3) Enjoy all the new benefits of a slimmer, faster, power-friendly kernel, optimised build profile and run-time optimisation scripts

*** Next Steps ***
I was originally planning to move onto another hardware player, but thanks to prispewnic's suggestions, and the great community of beta testers here, I now have a list of new feature requests I would like to add in subsequent versions to really get the most out of this player. Expect even better CPU governors, I/O schedulers and faster internet on this player in the coming weeks.

As always, any queries, comments etc - please shout.

PS: Moderators - could someone pin this to the first post of this topic? It's a real shame that new users have to trudge through 955 odd pages before they get to this....

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #14,329 of 15,897
Afternoon all.

After weeks of beta testing, I'm finally able to release the latest version (V2.4) of the kernel in both TWRP and Windows loader formats. A lot of effort has gone into these latest versions, and a lot of people have been involved in beta testing, whose contribution has been nothing short of invaluable, and I would like to thank very much.

*** Preamble ***
For those of you who've already experienced the benefits of the modded kernel with higher clock speed and optimised drivers, this update really brings out the best of performance thanks to new optimised scripts that are now executed every boot-up. The change is as significant as when you installed the modded kernel the first time. It's amazing how much software optimisation was left out of the FiiO player in the first instance. Many thanks to prispewnic from the 4PDA forum for directing me on this; it's thanks to his optimisation work on build.prop and init.d that this player now really shines.

*** Instructions ***

1a. If you don't yet have TWRP and/or any previous version of my kernel yet, download the Windows-based loader here and unzip to a folder

1b. Put the player in bootloader mode (just as if you were going to upgrade the player the traditional FiiO way with the Windows based loader), by pressing power+pause+back.
1c. Run the AndroidTool.exe program, and connect the FiiO to the computer. If all goes well you should see the green light with 'Found One Loader Device'. Make sure 'boot' and 'recovery_twrp' are selected and press Run. Once done, click the 'Advanced Function' tab and click Reset Device. You should have the new kernel and TWRP installed!

2) Download the latest version of the kernel (with new optimisation scripts) here:

2a) Reboot to recovery. For those of you coming from 1), I believe it's power+pause+forward, but you could get there as well through the command prompt (adb reboot recovery) if you have adb installed
2b) Put the file downloaded above in a folder that's readable by TWRP (/sdcard or /int_sdcard)

3) Enjoy all the new benefits of a slimmer, faster, power-friendly kernel, optimised build profile and run-time optimisation scripts

*** Next Steps ***
I was originally planning to move onto another hardware player, but thanks to prispewnic's suggestions, and the great community of beta testers here, I now have a list of new feature requests I would like to add in subsequent versions to really get the most out of this player. Expect even better CPU governors, I/O schedulers and faster internet on this player in the coming weeks.

PS: Moderators - could someone pin this to the first post of this topic? It's a real shame that new users have to trudge through 955 odd pages before they get to this....

@jkbuha thanks for the new kernel and I have installed that successfully on top of the beta firmware.

Shold step 1b and 1c written as:
1b. Run the AndroidTool.exe program, and connect the FiiO to the computer.
1b. Put the player in bootloader mode (just as if you were going to upgrade the player the traditional FiiO way with the Windows based loader), by pressing power+pause+back.
If all goes well you should see the green light with 'Found One Loader Device'. Make sure 'boot' and 'recovery_twrp' are selected and press Run. Once done, click the 'Advanced Function' tab and click Reset Device.

It seems to me that if someone had power on X5 iii in bootloader mode before connecting it to the computer, then the device won't be recognised.

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #14,330 of 15,897
Thanks, done. If someone can also confirm the key combo for bootloader and recovery, that would be appreciated.

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #14,331 of 15,897
Afternoon all.

*** Preamble ***

*** Instructions ***

1b. Run the AndroidTool.exe program and connect the FiiO via USB.

1c. Put the player in bootloader mode (just as if you were going to upgrade the player the traditional FiiO way with the Windows based loader), by pressing power+pause+back.

1d. If all goes well you should see the green light with 'Found One Loader Device'. Make sure 'boot' and 'recovery_twrp' are selected and press Run. Once done, click the 'Advanced Function' tab and click Reset Device. You should have the new kernel and TWRP installed!

*** Next Steps ***

Hi jkbuha--Just wondering if you have a safe/reliable link to download the Windows AndroidTool.exe program?

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #14,333 of 15,897
Recovery key combo is
power (hold until fiio welcome logo)
play/pause (hold until blue team win logo)
previous track (hold until blue team win logo)

Boot loader (from powered off state) is previous track only.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #14,334 of 15,897
For anyone who has used this as just a transport......

Does the usb on the go OTG function work? can i play tidal on android and send the usb audio out to another DAC?
I've heard varying opinions on that and I'd love to know before I buy.

Why? Because I use Usb in to my very expensive DAC/Amp and rather than use a cellphone would be better to have a dedicated DAP like the Fiio X5 to do it.
That way I can keep all my offline songs on one device. Does Tidal offline better than it used to?

Thanks to anyone, I guess this is old news

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #14,335 of 15,897
For anyone who has used this as just a transport......

Does the usb on the go OTG function work? can i play tidal on android and send the usb audio out to another DAC?
I've heard varying opinions on that and I'd love to know before I buy.

Why? Because I use Usb in to my very expensive DAC/Amp and rather than use a cellphone would be better to have a dedicated DAP like the Fiio X5 to do it.
That way I can keep all my offline songs on one device. Does Tidal offline better than it used to?

Thanks to anyone, I guess this is old news

As long as you aren't trying to output anything over 24/96 then it seems fine. At least I think that's the max sampling rate before it downsamples.... it's been a while since I actually used the X5III and it's been sitting in a drawer. I purchased the X5III specifically as a transport. It still works, but I prefer the player not to change the sampling rate.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #14,337 of 15,897
I really liked UAPP when I first downloaded it, but eventually had to stop using it as it was running really slow on the X5 Gen 3. Does this kernel make it much more usable? I only use My X5 for locally stored music. I won't be using any other apps like streaming services.

Jan 28, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #14,338 of 15,897
one interesting finding after using the latest kernel from jkbuha is that the FiiO music app work fine in Music Mode.
I am not sure if the app works in original firmware but it just crashes when I tried that earlier

I take it you're using the beta firmware? Interesting..

Jan 28, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #14,339 of 15,897
I really liked UAPP when I first downloaded it, but eventually had to stop using it as it was running really slow on the X5 Gen 3. Does this kernel make it much more usable? I only use My X5 for locally stored music. I won't be using any other apps like streaming services.
I'm using UAPP with a 400 GB microSD with all but 75 GB free on it... with the custom kernel and no such issues. Have you cleaned out the battery and system logs in the FiiO Log folder? I had issues in the past with stock FiiO music app wreaking havoc on third party apps, mimicking them and causing crashes. Thus I removed FiiO Music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back