Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 22, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #14,311 of 15,896
Installed this fiio beta firmware on top of stock 1.2.1 rom, via the technical support app.
aaaand, the back button, home button, and app switcher button are totally gone LOL.

Just... why?
I installed the beta the same way as you and same thing happened to me, all the buttons at the bottom are gone. Also the new music app doesn't work at all in pure music mode. In settings, it still shows firmware as 1.2.1.

Jan 22, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #14,312 of 15,896
you can enable the buttons by checking the "enable virtual key" option in "Settings | Display"

also,
- the stability of the new Music App has been well discussed in FiiO Forum and I think they should have fixed many of the issues already. Yet, it is true (at least for me) that it does not work in Pure Music Mode
- the version string is not updated probably because this is still "beta"

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #14,313 of 15,896
Six weeks ago I picked up a Pioneer XDP-300R. Now that I have spent some time with it I can compare it to the X5iii.
First thing, the Pioneer has idiosyncrasies as well. It usually is not in the mood to display album art. Sometimes it does, most times it doesn't. It sounds fine, I would call it detailed and DRY. It does not match up well with my Shure SE846 IEMs. It's useless with the 846 with a balanced cable, zero bass. The X5iii is wonderful with the 846/balanced cable.
It does start up really quick, and it's pretty as hell.
I keep them side by side and I don't have a strong preference. The X5iii has been behaving which is nice.

No hate here.
by chance you have ifi ematch or earbuddy ? in R6 case, in can restore the Low (bass) to certain limit, but also feel like cap the high freq (losing some detail)....
I like the detail sound of 300R...

Jan 23, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #14,314 of 15,896
I don't have either of those, but using the unbalanced out works well enough. I do like the detailed sound myself.

Jan 23, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #14,315 of 15,896
@jkbuha The kernel version is upgraded in firmware update. What do you think about that? Do you need to apply your code change and re-compile a new version kernel (I know you are working on a new version of the kernel already)? Do you want me to test flashing your kernel on this beta firmware?

If that's the case, for my modded kernel to inherit all the new changes in the update, FiiO need to publish their changes to the kernel when it's officially released. In the meantime you can test my kernel on the beta firmware, would be good to see if it works.

Also - side note, if the music 'sounds' different then it's likely that FiiO have also made changes to the soundfx dlls, if anyone else can verify this is the case on the latest beta I'll make a backup of the existing soundfx files in case there's a preference to revert to the 'old' sound.

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #14,316 of 15,896
I was able to get kernel 2.1 working on top of FiiO's beta firmware. I can't speak for any sound differences, yet.
FiiO music (1.0.8) crashes significantly more than 3.4.3 of the old software. UI wise it's nice, though. Sad to see the VU meter go to the wayside. UAPP is still going to be the way to go, it seems.

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #14,317 of 15,896
Could anyone that's testing the new beta report the date and build of FiiO's kernel? You'll find it under System in Settings...

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #14,319 of 15,896
If that's the case, for my modded kernel to inherit all the new changes in the update, FiiO need to publish their changes to the kernel when it's officially released. In the meantime you can test my kernel on the beta firmware, would be good to see if it works.

Also - side note, if the music 'sounds' different then it's likely that FiiO have also made changes to the soundfx dlls, if anyone else can verify this is the case on the latest beta I'll make a backup of the existing soundfx files in case there's a preference to revert to the 'old' sound.

@jkbuha I have done a binary compare for the files under system/lib/soundfx and they are the same.

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #14,320 of 15,896
Thanks.

That means that the sound processing has remained unchanged from previous firmware. Unless any other audio-based changes have been made in the ROM, then the audio should sound the same to previous firmware, but I'll defer judgement until the official update has been released.

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #14,322 of 15,896
Does anyone else have issues with the Next/Previous track hardware side buttons in UAPP? The buttons do not seem to work at all for me.

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #14,323 of 15,896
Does anyone else have issues with the Next/Previous track hardware side buttons in UAPP? The buttons do not seem to work at all for me.
They work fine if you go into your UAPP settings for volume, ensure skip/previous track is checked.

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #14,324 of 15,896
20190124_084035.jpg
UAPP - X5iii - NX4DSD - Solaris = great combo,
with bass boost: Bass with good layer. High Detail...

additional Ifi earBuddy if the unbalanced (low volume) occured because of NX4DSD, or Noise background come out, nor Simbilance.

best test with Billie Eilish Album dont smile at me. A lot rumble and mid high that can be potential Simbilance.....

edit : Using USB from X5iii to NX4DSD, create significant noise, that is why I choose LO instead.... FYI....

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #14,325 of 15,896

UAPP - X5iii - NX4DSD - Solaris = great combo,
with bass boost: Bass with good layer. High Detail...

additional Ifi earBuddy if the unbalanced (low volume) occured because of NX4DSD, or Noise background come out, nor Simbilance.

best test with Billie Eilish Album dont smile at me. A lot rumble and mid high that can be potential Simbilance.....

edit : Using USB from X5iii to NX4DSD, create significant noise, that is why I choose LO instead.... FYI....

My combo with the best sound is the UAPP-X5 III-NX4DSD(as DAC)-BGVP DMG without Bass Boost. BGVP DMG boldly confuses my high-weighted FiiO FH5. Other world. Even the FiiO X5 Classic through LineOut play a lot more enjoyable, especially bass. massive upgrades. I have no noise - UAPP in X5 III has been set by BitPerfect for USB Output. Perhaps the ears of an elderly man, perhaps UAPP v. 5.0.6

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back