Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Aug 6, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #13,756 of 15,897
run rkflashtool n

let me know what the output is

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #13,757 of 15,897
Strange behavior, beyond generally slow performance the following happened.

Played track 1 of an album, track 2 starts with no sound, fast forward and nothing. Skip to track 3, 4 and the sound is fine, go back to track 2 and it laughs at me and plays fine. Not the first time this has happened.

What is happening?

Wi-fi being on slows or stops everything on this unit. Other than just a straight up music player this things is getting more tedious by the day.

Aug 7, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #13,758 of 15,897

Played track 1 of an album, track 2 starts with no sound, fast forward and nothing. Skip to track 3, 4 and the sound is fine, go back to track 2 and it laughs at me and plays fine. Not the first time this has happened.

What is happening?

Wi-fi being on slows or stops everything on this unit. Other than just a straight up music player this things is getting more tedious by the day.
Dear friend,

You could send the music files to us for checking. Does this behavior happen everytime for this album?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 7, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #13,759 of 15,897
Dear FiiO,

can you tell us if you are planning on updating the kernel and also to optimize it? I think jkbuha has done a great job but I would prefer having something like this in the stock firmware since it will make these changes available to all users.

Aug 7, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #13,760 of 15,897
Dear FiiO,

can you tell us if you are planning on updating the kernel and also to optimize it? I think jkbuha has done a great job but I would prefer having something like this in the stock firmware since it will make these changes available to all users.

Yes and give jkbuha at least some nice headphones for his efforts.

Aug 7, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #13,762 of 15,897
Dear FiiO,

Not going to happen. It would require Fiio to admit that the OS they have given us isn't very good, it would require them to spend countless hours testing and reviewing the software for literally no financial gain. Why would they do that?

They won't even address the lack of proper alphabetical sorting which has been pointed out to them many times by me and several other posters.

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #13,763 of 15,897
In your opinion. I am just fine with it as it is. Be kind, get whatever you think is better, and leave us here to suffer without you. Please.

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #13,766 of 15,897
Ok... just weighing in here. Warning. TL;DR.

Yes and give jkbuha at least some nice headphones for his efforts.

What, a free FH5? :p

Thanks guys. Really appreciate that you've enjoyed my modded kernel and you feel it's an improvement over the stock kernel (which it is, just check Antutu benchmarks and BetterBatteryStats). I'm not doing this for any financial compensation, just enjoy making hardware run at its fullest potential. If FiiO appreciates my work and/or want more improvements on other players, I'll be happy to work on any other samples, better or worse.

NOTE: My modded source code is already out there if you know where to look, it's really up to FiiO's discretion to implement my recommended changes if they want to. They don't need to pay me to get access to this code, it's out there...

Not going to happen. It would require Fiio to admit that the OS they have given us isn't very good, it would require them to spend countless hours testing and reviewing the software for literally no financial gain. Why would they do that?

Sadly I'm inclined to agree, albeit for slightly different reasons. I actually think that with the right software ecosystem in place sufficient users will be onboarded to bring about a new revenue stream.

Here's the full explanation for anyone that's interested. A hardware vendor will always aim to deploy the defensible safest common configuration, which amongst other reasons will ensure they don't get any complaints because of the 0.1% configurations that may not work (though I have yet to hear anyone here complain that my kernel hasn't worked for them). It also helps with planned obsolescence. If FiiO were different to, say, Apple or Samsung they would encourage open source modding by fully releasing all source code from the get-go (OnePlus does this for example). Annualised revenues then will come in through a new demographic of buyers keen to get great hardware and well-supported after-market software via communities.

And that's the community I wanted to create here with the FiiO players. An incentive encouraged by FiiO to reach out to other similar minded coders to come on board, create a great set of kernels and ROMs, and allow for a great modding community to gradually increase demand in buying hardware thus that there's a continuous revenue stream coming from the hype around these players. And note, I've done the numbers here, there *are* sufficient quantities of HQ-minded users to want to jump onboard a like-minded community that's continuously updating firmware with bit-perfect software renderers, and (for neanderthals like myself) a programmable DSP ecosystem where you can add as many software filters as you want to distort the sound to your aural pleasure. Just to give you some numbers, since I've released my kernel there have been over 500 downloads. For one player. For one firmware version...

Problem is: the FiiO community is very fragmented. There isn't a dedicated xda channel, and the reddit channel is frankly a joke. FiiO's own Chinese based forum is a good effort, but has way too many sub forums that are sparsely populated and not really that technical. It's also very heavily moderated so not only does it perform badly from an SEO perspective, you don't get the answers to the questions you are looking for. So no unified community.

Just by example. There's a fragmented community of coders on a russian-only site that are similarly bitching about the need for a custom kernel for the X5iii because of performance issues, and abandoning the FiiO player for Cayin, but because there is no unified community, I can only inform them there and I'm not allowed to join (I can't speak russian to save my life), I can't tell them about the work done here. So, in essence, FiiO isn't doing any marketing where it matters.

So, if FiiO really want to create the hype that Cayin and AK have done, but through a different acquisition strategy, they need to have a marketing drive that will be their Nissan GT-R to the AMG/M-series/<insertyourown> communities. ie: incentivise the modding community to get on board and virally spread the word through well-trodden channels, as follows:

1) Release full source code for the X5iii/X7ii/Next-Gen Android Players, both Kernel and OS source
2) Incentivise networked modders/hackers thru hackathons/codesessions to create something unique for the players
3) Set up the respective communities on xda/reddit etc and spread the word where it matters...

(disclaimer: I'm an investor and VC in tech, so have made/lost money this way... ymmv)

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #13,767 of 15,897

What is happening?

I was having a local music listening session myself just the other night (as opposed to my usual UAPP Tidal streaming) and I encountered the mysterious "no sound" issue too when moving to a new track. Not the first time. It took a reboot sometimes to get the sound back, sometimes just waiting and moving to the next song. Very frustrating. It seems to be some sort of an issue of not being able to access the SD cards properly when doing a lot of random song playback in succession and lack of robustness in the CPU.

WiFi is another ongoing issue, with connect speeds stuck at times in the single digits, and, when streaming, it helps a lot with this unit to be in fairly close proximity of the wireless router. Other older Android devices rarely have this WiFi problem. But sound quality is such a positive for me with the X5 that I just tolerate the units' idiosyncrasies.

On a side note I took my X1 first gen out of mothballs and finally updated its firmware from 1.3 to 2.0 (super easy process!) and enjoyed it quite a bit. Thoreau said "Simplify, simplify, simplify" and the X1 is a great example of that when you just want to do an instant gratification-style random listening session--it rarely falters and the sound, while not the full, richness of the X5III, is pretty darn good and even better attached to the Cayin C5.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #13,768 of 15,897
Battery Saver.jpg
This delivers a little bit of battery performance.
It's just a dream, Android has averaged 4 hours without playing and has successfully gone into deep sleep mode. 8 hours of balanced turbo play is a reality.
menu - setting *** battery saver On / upper and lower edge of the display change the color on the orange. kernel 1.3 - CPU controller interactive - max freqv. CPU 1608 MHz - Animation 0.5x and the system responds with joy. With the Governor - Performance setting, Android is always reset after a few minutes of playback.
WiFi note - I'm getting a bit more stable when signing in with WPS - without entering a password. No magic change, but allowing streaming even via FiiO Music, either through Serviio, the JRiver Media Server is more stable to Audiophile 24 bit but modified to PCM 16 bit. Hiby Music gets ready and plays pretty stable.

I bought my FiiO X5-3 second hand to advertise with preinstalled Fidelizer Advanced ROM vs. 1.2.0. I have 59 years of age and I certainly have not heard my hearing for 35 years of intensive use of all types of headphones. It can soothe all the enthusiasts about Fidelizer Enhanced, that $ 50 is definitely not a hit. $ 100 per meter. Even the flood owner FiiO X5 did not know how to improve the sound. I've been thinking about the differences on the AKG 702, Etymotic HF2, FiiO F9, but I'll probably have to put my hands on the doctor for control.
More efficient is installing TWRP, SuperUser, BusyBox, Kernel Adiutor and Flash kernel. UAPP and MediaMonkey 24 hours checks the purchased license and then give in, and Google Play, Services and all SMS and Email services can lock into digital hell. The result is Android 520-550 Mb of free RAM and my maximum product satisfaction.
It is a sad fact, of course, it is not the way for everyone.
FiiO 3 days after delivery of my 4 years old Fiio X5 1st Generation to Service announces the removal of the malfunction (Died after using the Samsung Galaxy S6 fast charger). Repair with post from china $ 28. I note from my own experience the reaction of groups like Philips, SONY and others. This is always the way to immediate innovation

Have you tried someone to use as the VIDEOLAN main player? Compared to the FiiO player
disappear sinks, basses play precisely, hard and into depth, space and instrument definition
they seem amazing to me. In my ears I can overcome my purchased UAPP. They have a memory of 200 Mb
but it is worth it. I hope it's the one that loads the music into RAM, so it's also cool. With a music library
it's been a long time. But streaming, playing video concerts - Jeff Beck / Live at Ronnie Scotts downloaded with Videoder or Jeff Beck / Load Hailer Live is an earshot that I did not have for a long time.
The result ?? The FiiO player has left my FiiO until the Videolan sounds with the options and will not go anywhere. Both DAC and LineOut and COAX outputs they do not use it and everything works smoothly. Finally, the FiiO player can always be downloaded and installed.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #13,770 of 15,897
Just got my X5iii for 3 days...

Some point in my mind :
1) Spotify offline mode will log off if you shut down the device for 3 hours, this result all download disappeared...
2) reading some articles and reviews, the balanced 2.5mm, is it worthy? I am using CA Polaris
3) I installed Apple Music in my Note 8. the song is brighter/louder than Spotify... unfortunately I can't install this in X5iii...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back