Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 15, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #13,171 of 15,895
My wifi top speed on computer, my Android Galaxy 5S gets similar results. The X5 about 22Mbps, pretty awful comparing the Samsung to FIIO.
Capture.JPG

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #13,173 of 15,895
Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #13,174 of 15,895
Hi all I'm considering between the fiio and Cayin i5, after coming from an opus 1s, which has a largely neutral and clean sound signature.

I generally listen to jazz, lounge n sometimes house music, so a fun-sounding signature without being overly commercial or warm will be great. Spotify will be great but not critical. Will the fiio be a good fit?

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #13,175 of 15,895
Hi all I'm considering between the fiio and Cayin i5, after coming from an opus 1s, which has a largely neutral and clean sound signature.

I generally listen to jazz, lounge n sometimes house music, so a fun-sounding signature without being overly commercial or warm will be great. Spotify will be great but not critical. Will the fiio be a good fit?
Coming from the Opus 1 or Opus 1S?

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #13,176 of 15,895
Apr 16, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #13,177 of 15,895
Ops I mean opus #1
Going from the Opus 1 to the X5iii will definitely give you a more dynamic sound. Soundstage is not as wide but definitely deeper with a more 3d feel. Compared to the neutral Opus 1 the X5iii will feel warmer, thicker and darker. Its not as detailed or articulate as the Opus but it certainly sounds more lifelike with better timbre and texture compared to the Opus. The thinner sound lends the Opus a hand in clarity though. The X5iii is quite different compared to the Opus 1. It's a more laid back and analog sound compared to a more neutral sound.

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Cayin N5ii over the i5. Honestly I find that its an improvement overall. The N5ii retains the clarity and detail of the Opus 1 while being as deep as the X5iii. Imaging and instrument separation is also better as it has both the depth of the X5iii and clarity of the Opus. Basically, it's a standard opus with a very slightly warmer and thicker sound with a more natural and textured persentation. It also has better instrument separation thanks to an improved soundstage depth.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #13,178 of 15,895
Going from the Opus 1 to the X5iii will definitely give you a more dynamic sound. Soundstage is not as wide but definitely deeper with a more 3d feel. Compared to the neutral Opus 1 the X5iii will feel warmer, thicker and darker. Its not as detailed or articulate as the Opus but it certainly sounds more lifelike with better timbre and texture compared to the Opus. The thinner sound lends the Opus a hand in clarity though. The X5iii is quite different compared to the Opus 1. It's a more laid back and analog sound compared to a more neutral sound.

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Cayin N5ii over the i5. Honestly I find that its an improvement overall. The N5ii retains the clarity and detail of the Opus 1 while being as deep as the X5iii. Imaging and instrument separation is also better as it has both the depth of the X5iii and clarity of the Opus. Basically, it's a standard opus with a very slightly warmer and thicker sound with a more natural and textured persentation. It also has better instrument separation thanks to an improved soundstage depth.
Thanks for the info! Yes I been reading that the Cayin N5ii is great, but I'm rather tight on budget. I should be able to snag a deal on the fiio at around SGD$350. Compared to the Cayin N5ii of around $500 there's quite a bit of a jump that I am unlikely able to take.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #13,179 of 15,895
Thanks for the info! Yes I been reading that the Cayin N5ii is great, but I'm rather tight on budget. I should be able to snag a deal on the fiio at around SGD$350. Compared to the Cayin N5ii of around $500 there's quite a bit of a jump that I am unlikely able to take.
Oh you're in Singapore :)

Hmmm, that's IS a pretty good deal on the X5iii. At that price I'd seriously consider the X5iii as it definitely beats everything in that price bracket (250 usd +-).

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #13,180 of 15,895

If your budget is under 300 usd, how did the i5 make it? I'm guessing there is a deal on that too?

Overly warm is subjective. I'd say try out the X5iii at jaben first if possible. Coming from the Opus 1 it might be too warm.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #13,181 of 15,895
Oh you're in Singapore :)

Hmmm, that's IS a pretty good deal on the X5iii. At that price I'd seriously consider the X5iii as it definitely beats everything in that price bracket (250 usd +-).
Yea fellow Singaporean here. I had a, chance to try out the Cayin i5 before, and I do like the sharper highs on some tracks. But for bassier tracks might not be as immersive. And yes I saw a deal of around sgd350 for the i5 as well. The bummer is it doesn't have balanced output.

Trying to see if I have the chance to head down to Jaben too one day.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #13,182 of 15,895

N5ii is a very bad user experience if you......I dunno...use it. You got baby fingers? Go for it. Otherwise skip that thing IMO. Get the FiiO

/2 cents

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #13,183 of 15,895
N5ii is a very bad user experience if you......I dunno...use it. You got baby fingers? Go for it. Otherwise skip that thing IMO. Get the FiiO

/2 cents
Its more or less the same to be honest. It's not like you're replying to WhatsApp with that.

Smaller, lighter, better battery life and sound. That's why I picked the N5ii over the X5iii. Its a better DAP, we're not comparing phones here lol :p

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #13,184 of 15,895
Its more or less the same to be honest. It's not like you're replying to WhatsApp with that.

Smaller, lighter, better battery life and sound. That's why I picked the N5ii over the X5iii. Its a better DAP, we're not comparing phones here lol :p
Haven't you been to the N5ii thread? You must have balls of steel!! :D

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #13,185 of 15,895
Can anyone who has or listened to a Dragonfly Red comment on the sound compared to the X5iii?

This would be my first DAP I'm considering since it has TIDAL built-in. I'm wondering how much of an improvement it would be over an iPhone 6S + DFR considering it would mean carrying two devices on the go instead of one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back