Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 17, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #12,710 of 15,897
Hi,
Is there a recharge % sweet spot?
From what I've read online in various places try to charge between 40% and 80%. That is better for long-time battery health. With li-ion and modern batteries it is better to charge early than let it drain. Modern batteries are stressed when drained or topped. I tried to follow that 40 / 80 rule with my smartphone as much as I can. I also don't use fast chargers if I have the time to let it charge slowly. Fast chargers generate more heat = bad for battery. I have some 0.7A chargers from older phones that don't generate any heat when charging.

Others are saying: don't worry about charging patterns or fast vs. slow, just use your device normally, the quantifiable difference in battery life will be small, and you will replace your device in a few years anyway.

So if I can follow that percentage rule I do it but don't sweat over it too much.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #12,711 of 15,897
The build quality of my x5iii & x7ii are great & I like both sounds, favouring the x7ii, but neither device is perfect.
It has been said that the volume / cost ratio works against buyers of digital audio players. Volumes may not be high enough for the very best components to be cost effective or to grab the attention & support of important suppliers. So, in the best interests of its customers, what should Fiio be doing to increase its buying power [component volumes?] so that we might all benefit from even better products? Or, is it the case that audio players are just a declining niche with only very incremental technical progress, whether it is digital usb output, replaygain, very modest RAM & storage, or limited software R&D. Or, should we just be content for the price we pay?

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #12,712 of 15,897
Hi,

I have been reading most of the post here and this is my first post, hope someone can provide me some advise on WIFI issue I am facing now.

Since couple of weeks ago, I experience WIFI connection problem on my X5 3rd Gen with empty radar icon and exclamation mark on the pull down menu besides SSID. Firmware was 1.1.9. I have checked the saved network and the SSID is correct. I have tried to forget this SSID and add new network with WIFI setting WPA2 PSK similar to router settings and password. Still I cant get the WIFI network connected.

Yesterday, I upgraded to firmware 1.2.0, still WIFI issue is there.

Kindly advise me what to do. Eg. factory reset.?

Appreciate someone can help me on WIFI issue.

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #12,713 of 15,897
The build quality of my x5iii & x7ii are great & I like both sounds, favouring the x7ii, but neither device is perfect.
It has been said that the volume / cost ratio works against buyers of digital audio players. Volumes may not be high enough for the very best components to be cost effective or to grab the attention & support of important suppliers. So, in the best interests of its customers, what should Fiio be doing to increase its buying power [component volumes?] so that we might all benefit from even better products? Or, is it the case that audio players are just a declining niche with only very incremental technical progress, whether it is digital usb output, replaygain, very modest RAM & storage, or limited software R&D. Or, should we just be content for the price we pay?
Yes, those are valid points all but what I think we need most is well optimised firmware.

The X5iii and the X7ii both use the same processor but based on my experience with demo units the X5iii is pretty laggy compared to the X7ii.

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #12,714 of 15,897
Appreciate someone can help me on WIFI issue.
Have you tried the factory reset? Remember to take out your microsd cards first.

Maybe clearing cache in the recovery menu will help. Some firmware bugs can be solved that way.

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #12,715 of 15,897
Yes, those are valid points all but what I think we need most is well optimised firmware.

The X5iii and the X7ii both use the same processor but based on my experience with demo units the X5iii is pretty laggy compared to the X7ii.

Totally agree. FW should be top priority, but getting that right will not exactly make great headlines (unfortunately). Yes, my x7ii is much less laggy than my x5iii but is still not lag free.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #12,716 of 15,897
Hot tip, This just in...:
The LG K20 sounds better than the Fiio X5III.

I wanted an LG V20 but the size was too large for shirt pocket use.
Don’t know if it’s true but I was told at the Verizon store. the internal guts of the K20 are the same as the V20
w/o all the fancy camera gadgetry (which I wouldn’t use anyway).

Playing through Poweramp, the quality of the sound is unbelievable!

I haven’t let the battery drain lower than about 15% - but it appears that just mostly playing tracks for many hours a day, the battery will go at least two – possibly three days.
And (of course) the battery is removable and replaceable.

Nougat Android UI and WiFi interface is smooth, fast and reliable.
Plus I can freakin’ make and receive calls!

It appears Moore’s Law is definitely alive and well!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #12,717 of 15,897
Hot tip, This just in...:
The LG K20 sounds better than the Fiio X5III.

I wanted an LG V20 but the size was too large for shirt pocket use.
Don’t know if it’s true but I was told at the Verizon store. the internal guts of the K20 are the same as the V20
w/o all the fancy camera gadgetry (which I wouldn’t use anyway).

Playing through Poweramp, the quality of the sound is unbelievable!

I haven’t let the battery drain lower than about 15% - but it appears that just mostly playing tracks for many hours a day, the battery will go at least two – possibly three days.
And (of course) the battery is removable and replaceable.

Nougat Android UI and WiFi interface is smooth, fast and reliable.
Plus I can freakin’ make and receive calls!

It appears Moore’s Law is definitely alive and well!
Thats probably because you prefer the K20's signature over the X5iii. The X5iii may be too warm sounding for you.

Feb 18, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #12,718 of 15,897
Thats probably because you prefer the K20's signature over the X5iii. The X5iii may be too warm sounding for you.

Well, although I found the native sound of the LG K20 a bit harsh, all the ambient information was there.
The sound signature I prefer is dictated by Poweramp’s EQ and Tone/Vol settings.
Of course I’m talking headphone output here – the tiny speakers in the device are awful.

Feb 18, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #12,719 of 15,897
Well, although I found the native sound of the LG K20 a bit harsh, all the ambient information was there.
The sound signature I prefer is dictated by Poweramp’s EQ and Tone/Vol settings.
Of course I’m talking headphone output here – the tiny speakers in the device are awful.
TBH the X5iii really underperforms in sound when compared to other options in the same price range.

After demoing a few DAPs in the 200-400 dollar price range I put it at the bottom for sound quality but YMMV, sound is subjective. The Opus 1s and the N5ii stand at the top in terms of sound quality in the price range with the N5ii edging out the Opus slightly in the soundsage and detail department.

If you want to hear all the ambient details I'd suggest you sell the X5iii and get the N5ii or the Opus 1s. The X5iii is more suited for relaxed listening. The UI experience is also better/faster on both.

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #12,720 of 15,897
TBH the X5iii really underperforms in sound when compared to other options in the same price range.

After demoing a few DAPs in the 200-400 dollar price range I put it at the bottom for sound quality but YMMV, sound is subjective. The Opus 1s and the N5ii stand at the top in terms of sound quality in the price range with the N5ii edging out the Opus slightly in the soundsage and detail department.

If you want to hear all the ambient details I'd suggest you sell the X5iii and get the N5ii or the Opus 1s. The X5iii is more suited for relaxed listening. The UI experience is also better/faster on both.

Seems you have a “puritan” methodology. By that I mean you probably don’t believe in EQ modification,
but would prefer that a devices “native” sound be true to your taste – right out of the box. That’s probably OK for classical pieces. And commendable.
But when you have to list demos as 1,2,3 that means you’re still looking for a 10.

I used to be that way too, until I did a little research on the extensive mixing, overdubbing and other tricks they play when manufacturing “popular” commercially produced tracks.

For example the extremely popular (at the time) "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay"
by Otis Redding in 1968, was overdubbed with the guitar track - after Otis’ death in a plane crash.
Did you know that?

In other words if most of my music tracks are audio manipulated, I feel that my manipulating them a little further by EQ isn’t going to spoil the “purity” any more than it’s already been spoiled.

If a device seems to produce all the ambience of musical tracks – and isn’t extremely harsh or muddy – I can play around with that…. within limits, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back