Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 26, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #12,511 of 15,897
I wouldn't use it for games but i would like to have the touchscreen responsive 99% of the time, too often i have to press twice or 3 times, i would like to have a normal wifi connection and many more, including the ones mentioned by you.
Right, I forgot about Wi-Fi, edited my post to include this as well.

Jan 26, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #12,512 of 15,897
is there a need for wifi in pure music mode? does it stream? i couldn't find this feature.
is usb dac mode working in pure music mode? my dap shows it activates dac but there is no sound, only in android mode.
so, why is this interface available?
and the list goes on.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #12,513 of 15,897
is there a need for wifi in pure music mode? does it stream? i couldn't find this feature.
is usb dac mode working in pure music mode? my dap shows it activates dac but there is no sound, only in android mode.
so, why is this interface available?
and the list goes on.

Wifi in pure music mode enables you to validate Viper Effect purchases, use the album art and lyrics search functions.

When you say DAP are you referring to the X5-III or another dap?

Jan 26, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #12,515 of 15,897
I partly agree, in the sense that the apps meant for music should all work. But not that you should install any app that is made for more powerful Android devices and expect it to work as on a flagship smartphone. I'd say keep youtube, fb, games, etc. for your phone, don't bloat this device and expect it to work flawlessly. The hardware resources here are mainly dedicated for dual DAC, AMP and audio chain.

What I'm more concerned with, and I think should be addressed is:

- Solving of problems with all major streaming apps - Tidal, Google Music, Spotify, Deezer, Amazon. Only tried Google Music - unusable, and Tidal - problems with skips and glitching.

- No EQ app in Google Play Store is capable of accessing and working with the DAC, this is a BIG ONE. That means that no player or streaming app that hasn't an integrated EQ can be EQ-ed. I'll say it again - FiiO made Viper Effects available in its FiiO Music app, but it should be a stand-alone system-level implemented feature and should work in any app. Viper Effects has a much better FIREqualizer implementation than own FiiO Music EQ!. You can test and see the differences - IME, FiiO EQ sliders don't reflect the amount of dB changes that are dialed in a particular band. The volume drops too much, and the sound gets muddy. Viper Effecs EQ works as expected. Please make it system-wide!

- FiiO Music app needs to be simplified, more streamlined UI. For example the inclusion of Bluetooth symbol in various places inside Music app is redundant and useless. If I need to turn Bluetooth ON / OFF I have the top Android Settings Slider with direct shortcut.
The BT switches inside Music app should be replaced with something more useful like access to the current track folder.

- WiFi connection signal strength is sometimes poor, and using Bluetooth playback and Wi-Fi streaming at the same time, often results in skips and disconnects.

Dear friend,

Thanks for you kind feedback. We would report your suggestions to our engineer and consider whether it is available for adding or changing. Will also try our best to improve the X5III.

For the problem with some of the Apps, it may not depend on the X5III so we would need to communicate with the developer from those Apps.

Some users have mentioned the solution for solving the issue with Tidal- enable crossfade in Tidal settings, set to one second.

Sorry if bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 27, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #12,517 of 15,897
Thanks very much, sounds great now!

Just curious, have you been able to get UAPP to work with your X5III utilizing its USB output to a DAC via an OTG cable?
Didn't try, don't have an external DAC. I just tried UAPP on X5 with "Play through Android" because I also used it with my phone for its sound quality even when playing through Android. But now I only use FiiO Music and Tidal because it has been reported earlier in this thread that UAPP, Poweramp and other players don't do bit-perfect with X5. Only FiiO Music and Neutron does this and I don't like Neutron UI. I give FiiO Music credit and hope it will be improved soon with new releases. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #12,519 of 15,897
I just got this DAP today and so far so good except for one thing. I was moving my m3u playlist file from my old Fiio X3 2nd Gen and in pure music mode, I can browse to it and when I click on the file, it shows the list of songs in the right order, but when I then click on the top right icon to make it into the FiioMusic app playlist, it loses the order. The playlist gets created and the songs are in it, but if I go to playlists and open it, it just seems to be in some random order (I see I can sort it in this view...doesn't that defeat the purpose of a playlist?). Also, when I click on the playlist name to play it, it just plays a song somewhere in the middle of the playlist, not the first song in the real order or the order it's shown when I open it afterwards, What?

I sent in a support email but I thought I'd mention it here in case it's a known issue or whatnot.

EDIT: Unrelated to the above but after screwing around in Poweramp, I was able to get the hardware buttons to work!! The key is to uncheck Beep under Headset/Bluetooth settings! I've tested it in the lockscreen as well as while the player is up and even while browsing the web. This is a godsend, because I personally like the sound of poweramp better even over neutron or uapp and the UI is a no contest.

EDIT2: So support's answer was to ask me if I wanted to view the tracks in the playlist in alphabetical order and proceeded to tell me how to do so. Am I missing something here? Isn't the point of a playlist to play in a specific order? When I load the playlist in neutron or poweramp, I certainly get it in playlist order...hell, when I load the same playlist in Fiio's own last gen dap, I get it in playlist order....

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #12,520 of 15,897
I just got this DAP today and so far so good except for one thing. I was moving my m3u playlist file from my old Fiio X3 2nd Gen and in pure music mode, I can browse to it and when I click on the file, it shows the list of songs in the right order, but when I then click on the top right icon to make it into the FiioMusic app playlist, it loses the order. The playlist gets created and the songs are in it, but if I go to playlists and open it, it just seems to be in some random order (I see I can sort it in this view...doesn't that defeat the purpose of a playlist?). Also, when I click on the playlist name to play it, it just plays a song somewhere in the middle of the playlist, not the first song in the real order or the order it's shown when I open it afterwards, What?

I sent in a support email but I thought I'd mention it here in case it's a known issue or whatnot.

EDIT: Unrelated to the above but after screwing around in Poweramp, I was able to get the hardware buttons to work!! The key is to uncheck Beep under Headset/Bluetooth settings! I've tested it in the lockscreen as well as while the player is up and even while browsing the web. This is a godsend, because I personally like the sound of poweramp better even over neutron or uapp and the UI is a no contest.

EDIT2: So support's answer was to ask me if I wanted to view the tracks in the playlist in alphabetical order and proceeded to tell me how to do so. Am I missing something here? Isn't the point of a playlist to play in a specific order? When I load the playlist in neutron or poweramp, I certainly get it in playlist order...hell, when I load the same playlist in Fiio's own last gen dap, I get it in playlist order....
Dear friend,

Do you mean that you create an external playlist first, then adding the playlist to the inner playlist, the sorting is according to alphabetical order? You could try to press the 3 dots in the right bottom conrner and choose the clock icon to see if the sorting meet your need? What's the play mode you are choosing?

Best regards
upload_2018-1-31_18-37-19.png

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 31, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #12,521 of 15,897
Hi everybody, I've been playing with the Viper effects lately and really enjoyed the Differential surround. Does anyone know if it's possible to have this effect on a Windows PC? Foobar2000 maybe? I installed Viper4Windows, but unfortunately this effect is not there.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #12,522 of 15,897
Dear friend,

Do you mean that you create an external playlist first, then adding the playlist to the inner playlist, the sorting is according to alphabetical order? You could try to press the 3 dots in the right bottom conrner and choose the clock icon to see if the sorting meet your need? What's the play mode you are choosing?

Best regards
thanks. I thought the clock icon means sort by date/time added but this seems to sort them by the right order in terms of viewing the list. However, when playing the playlist via the main menu, it still somehow play a seemingly random song (but the same song every time I choose this playlist to play) instead of the first song in the list? I took a quick video to show what I mean (sorry no audio, I took it quickly in my open office):

As the video shows, when I choose the playlist to play, it starts playing the song "Hikari (Game Version)", but when I go to the playlist list, this song is nowhere near the top of the list, nor was it the last song played from the list or anything. At first I thought it was playing them by some sorting order, but I tested all sorting order possible (ascending and descending) and in this playlist, this track is never the first track of the playlist. If I click the barely visible tiny play button on the playlist view, it seems to play in the right order, but this play button is blocked by the 3 dots button on the right corner for the bottom most playlist which is why I added the playlist list to the main menu (and clicking on the playlist to play is much easier vs having to hunt for the tiny play button on the playlist view. Play mode is repeat all

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #12,523 of 15,897
thanks. I thought the clock icon means sort by date/time added but this seems to sort them by the right order in terms of viewing the list. However, when playing the playlist via the main menu, it still somehow play a seemingly random song (but the same song every time I choose this playlist to play) instead of the first song in the list? I took a quick video to show what I mean (sorry no audio, I took it quickly in my open office):

As the video shows, when I choose the playlist to play, it starts playing the song "Hikari (Game Version)", but when I go to the playlist list, this song is nowhere near the top of the list, nor was it the last song played from the list or anything. At first I thought it was playing them by some sorting order, but I tested all sorting order possible (ascending and descending) and in this playlist, this track is never the first track of the playlist. If I click the barely visible tiny play button on the playlist view, it seems to play in the right order, but this play button is blocked by the 3 dots button on the right corner for the bottom most playlist which is why I added the playlist list to the main menu (and clicking on the playlist to play is much easier vs having to hunt for the tiny play button on the playlist view. Play mode is repeat all

Dear friend,

Have reported to the engineers about. Seems the issue is related to the external playlist added. We will have more test first.

Best regards

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #12,524 of 15,897
as already said, in pure music mode, dac doesn't work but interface is available: connected to pc, it shows dac screen (bitrate and frequency) but no sound.
another similar problem, usb storage in pure music mode. i turn usb storage on, pc shows 3 "removable disks" but they cannot be accesed.

both work on android mode. but fiio really needs to clean this up. software glitches are overwhelming.

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #12,525 of 15,897
Dear friend,

Have reported to the engineers about. Seems the issue is related to the external playlist added. We will have more test first.

Best regards
thanks! In the meanwhile, I have added a dummy playlist called "z" so that I can access the play icon on the bottom most playlist from the playlist view

as already said, in pure music mode, dac doesn't work but interface is available: connected to pc, it shows dac screen (bitrate and frequency) but no sound.
another similar problem, usb storage in pure music mode. i turn usb storage on, pc shows 3 "removable disks" but they cannot be accesed.

both work on android mode. but fiio really needs to clean this up. software glitches are overwhelming.

I have no issues getting the DAP to work as a DAC when in pure music mode via the Fiio K5. Initially it didn't work like you said, but after updating the DAC driver to v4.11 (on the right of this page http://www.fiio.net/en/supports/43), it works ok. I just tested USB storage as well while in pure music mode and it works too.

BTW, unrelated but I love being able to access the current playlist on the "now playing" screen via a swipe from the left. Very handy feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back