Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Oct 13, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #11,896 of 15,897
For what it's worth when I installed v1.1.8 update I ran the update and started using the device right after it rebooted. I didn't reset or reload anything nor did I rescan anything.
I was on a long walk today and I was really loving how well my X5iii is working. It is really working well
I do agree with you, its working well with FW 1.1.8

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #11,900 of 15,897
Got this answer from Fiio about the Forward/back physical buttons not working good on Poweramp

This says Fiio:

Why the physical buttons of X5III could not function perfectly on some third-party APPs?
A: The button of X5III(X7) is strictly based on Android definition. However, third-party APP would make its own definition while using system buttons. So the button definition of system itself and third-party APP might be conflicted. We couldn't change the button definition of third party APP. Therefore, the play/pause or previous/next track button might not able to work perfectly when using third-party APP (These APPs might work fine on cellphones cause most of the cellphones only have volume button for adjustment and no next/previous track button).

As you mentioned , the FiO Music and Neutron music App was normal, poweramp may make its own definition, we suggest you contact Poweramp to report such problem that you have , they may help you out.

So sorry for this inconvenience.

So Fiio Want me to contact Poweramp
Since they ask me to do that i will contact Poweramp about the problem on Fiio

Btw... I Now got the 3rd New Fiio X5 III and then other X5 III with black dead pixel is returned
2 X5 III player i got had black pixel on screen so hope this is better
On my Cayin i5 never had black dead pixel problem

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #11,902 of 15,897
I am facing a peculiar problem in my X5 iii,, when i press power button display is not off..also when it is off and i press power button it remains off...when i press power button for more than 2 seconds no dialogue for shut down is coming,,I have done factory reset ..also it has got no connection with recent update..the problem starts suddenly before that it was ok....anybody facing the same problem ?
Seems long press the power button, it works. While short press it fails? Not sure if wiping the data helps(http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41364). I am afraid it may be a hardware issue with the power button. :sob:

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 13, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #11,903 of 15,897
oh boy ... I have my FiiO now for several months and forgot to search for dead pixels ...
I was obviously distracted by the excellent music quality for a player in that price range ...
Nearly spit my coffee!!!!

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #11,904 of 15,897
I tried two cables because i changed Fiio X5 for a new one before
and the first one also happened with, this second one also, this week i get a new one
and i will see if it happen with this one too.
not sure what causing it not that it bothers me,maybe software issue

what i like to find a solution for is the physical button that dont work
when using poweramp (work with neutron and fioo music app)
instead of just change track it change track and then fast rewind to end of the song
then it change to next song and fast rewing to the end of that song
until it comes to the last song in the album then it stop, Thats Crazy
which make the use of physical buttons on X5 III useless on Poweramp that is sad
since it not happen on Neutron and other music app is not a Physical button issue
is Firmware or software related, Poweramp is the paid version
I will try it out on the new X5 III i get to see if it happen on that one too

I tried Poweramp with Cayin i5 Physical button work fine, but not on Fiio X5 III

Sometimes Poweramp close while changing track
but it dont close and stop song, it just Hide so i get homescreen
and have to click poweramp again, maybe sensible screen

Update:
I have Reset X5 III to factory default erasing everything
then installing Poweramp only again.
Still the same problem of physical buttons so is not a Poweramp or 3rd apps issue
must be firmware then.
It sounds to me like Poweramp simply does not read the software/firmware result of the button push. The OS is getting it, otherwise it would not work on the other apps.
Seems to me that, if there can be a fix, the code in Poweramp would be where it would need to be made. If I was having the problem, I would get in touch with the developers at Poweramp.

BTW, I wrote my reply before I saw the response from Fiio... Apparently they said the same thing that I did.. in essence anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #11,906 of 15,897
oh boy ... I have my FiiO now for several months and forgot to search for dead pixels ...
I was obviously distracted by the excellent music quality for a player in that price range ...

Just because paying for a defect free device isn't on everyone's checklist anymore doesn't mean some of us will let defects slide. :wink: #Priorities

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #11,907 of 15,897
It sounds to me like Poweramp simply does not read the software/firmware result of the button push. The OS is getting it, otherwise it would not work on the other apps.
FiiO explained it already. Android knows 4 different codes: volume up - volume down - next - previous.
Handies do not have next and previous keys, and poweramp interpret volume up and volume down as next and previous.
Unfortunately, they seem to interpret next and previous as fast forward and fast backward or something weird ...
So, it's their job to fix it. Other apps do not have an issue with that ...

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #11,908 of 15,897
FiiO explained it already. Android knows 4 different codes: volume up - volume down - next - previous.
Handies do not have next and previous keys, and poweramp interpret volume up and volume down as next and previous.
Unfortunately, they seem to interpret next and previous as fast forward and fast backward or something weird ...
So, it's their job to fix it. Other apps do not have an issue with that ...
Uhhh, yeah.
Did you read this part?

"BTW, I wrote my reply before I saw the response from Fiio... Apparently they said the same thing that I did.. in essence anyway."

And actually, I think that they said something similar earlier on. The trouble is, many seem to want to blame the X5III for everything that does not work. It has had its share of issues (though I have not seen most of what people have reported as problems) but Fiio can't control how third party apps are written.

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #11,909 of 15,897
Hello every one, I have read through quite a bit of this thread, and I'm curious if people would still recommend this device? I'm in the market for a DAP that is able to use spotify/tidal applications along with my flac/mp3 library.

Haven't seen anything else in this price range that does that besides the X5 Gen 3.

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #11,910 of 15,897
Hello every one, I have read through quite a bit of this thread, and I'm curious if people would still recommend this device? I'm in the market for a DAP that is able to use spotify/tidal applications along with my flac/mp3 library.

Haven't seen anything else in this price range that does that besides the X5 Gen 3.

If you're willing to go secondhand, I'm sure you can find a price that is a real bang for buck.

Right now on the for sale/trade forum you can get a mint X5III black for $299 (I bought mine secondhand for the same price and I cannot argue with that value.)

https://head-fi.org/threads/fs-fio-x5-3rd-generation.862666/

Users who are viewing this thread

• xtr4
Back