Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 20, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #11,431 of 15,897
Sorry mate - don't use Spotify. Tidal worked for me when i was testing it. gave me the option to save off-line content to card. Seemed to work well (Tidal Premium). I ditched it though as my 450-500 albums makes it a bit superfluous.

Sep 20, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #11,432 of 15,897
Couple of questions, how does one search this thread for possible answers like the old site? I can't find the search this thread button anywhere!!

Also does anyone have issues with Spotify and the fact that it keeps logging out and deleting 'offline' premium content on their X5-3rd Gen? I've tried uninstalling everything even down to folders, restarting, and reinstalling Spotify. I've cleared the 3 'offline' units associated with my account so that I'm not running into too many devices problem. Yet even after 2 days of trying different things my X5-3rdGen keeps losing the offline audio content I've downloaded. HELP!!
Maybe if Brooko helped you with the search you can find the previous discussions on this. I don't use any streaming services so I can't directly help. But, several people complained about this happening earlier in this thread. Someone had what they thought was the answer. Something about the way you shut down the app before turning off the X5III. Or the proper sequence for doing some of the operations. I can't remember exactly, but it is back there somewhere.

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #11,433 of 15,897
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #11,434 of 15,897
Couple of questions, how does one search this thread for possible answers like the old site? I can't find the search this thread button anywhere!!

Also does anyone have issues with Spotify and the fact that it keeps logging out and deleting 'offline' premium content on their X5-3rd Gen? I've tried uninstalling everything even down to folders, restarting, and reinstalling Spotify. I've cleared the 3 'offline' units associated with my account so that I'm not running into too many devices problem. Yet even after 2 days of trying different things my X5-3rdGen keeps losing the offline audio content I've downloaded. HELP!!
To prevent fiio from deleting the offline material, you have to close the spotify app before you shut down the X5.

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #11,435 of 15,897
Look. I enjoy @FiiO products but one thing is bothering me. I had the X5III since launch. And on there product page they have que feature that was suppose to be added. Nothing yet and we been on many firmwares. And the sluggish of shuffling over 11,000 songs. It's ok when you tap the play normal icon and let the songs play. It's almost two months since we had firmware update.

Dear friend,
:sob:We are also feeling really sorry about that. We will report to our engineers again about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #11,436 of 15,897
is this dap still laggy even with just a few hundred songs in both modes?

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #11,437 of 15,897
Dear FIIO,

I reported to FiiO months ago that 32-bit floating point playback using
the Android AudioTrack API is messed up. They did not fix it until now
it seems.

Best regards

X5 3rd's Custom Android Rom does not support float32 with AudioTrack.
Instead you need to use unsigned-Int32. You also need to specify 10 for AudioFormat.
Neutron MP is compatible with the above.
Please refer to my post for details.

It is a sample code of native playback 24bit/192kHz wav file for third-party App.
I hope this sample code will help developers of third-party App.
There are two points.

1. It is necessary to convert byte data of 24bit file to unsigned int 32bit byte data. Do not use float 32bit. (16bit do not need to be converted)

2. It is necessary to specify a special value of 10 for AudioFormat. ENCODING_PCM_FLOAT must not be specified. (16bit specify standard ENCODING_PCM_16 BIT)

Note
This sample code convert all byte data of audio file to 32bit at the beginning first and passes it to AudioTrack, so it can only be used with music files of very short time (a few seconds).
In actuality, convert byte data to uint32bit sequentially in the background thread.
About these processes, I think that music application developers have more technology than I do.
So I do not specifically describe code to convert to unsigned int 32bit.

Code:
// 24bit/192kHz wav file from external storage
File file = new File(path);
input = new FileInputStream(file);

wavData = new byte[(int) input.available()];
input.read(wavData);
input.close();
int headerByteNum = caliculateWavHeaderByteNumber(wavData);

// Convert 24bit to unsigned int 32bit. If 16bit, not require convert
wavData = Convert32bit(wavData, headerByteNum);

int SamplingRate = 192000;
// 24bit AudioFormat.
int audioFormat = 10; // X5 3rd Custom AudioFormat????(java format?)
//int audioFormat = AudioFormat.ENCODING_PCM_FLOAT; // X5 3rd can't play 32bit float. require unsigned int 32bit.
// 16bit AudioFormat.
//int audioFormat = AudioFormat.ENCODING_PCM_16BIT; // 16bit

int bufSize = android.media.AudioTrack.getMinBufferSize(SamplingRate, AudioFormat.CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO, audioFormat);

AudioTrack audioTrack = new AudioTrack(
    new AudioAttributes.Builder()
    .setUsage(AudioAttributes.USAGE_MEDIA)
    .setContentType(AudioAttributes.CONTENT_TYPE_MUSIC)
    .build(),
    new AudioFormat.Builder()
    .setChannelMask(AudioFormat.CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO)
    .setEncoding(audioFormat)
    .setSampleRate(SamplingRate)
    .build(),
    bufSize,
    AudioTrack.MODE_STREAM,
    AudioManager.AUDIO_SESSION_ID_GENERATE);

audioTrack.play();
audioTrack.write(wavData, headerByteNum, wavData.length - headerByteNum);

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #11,438 of 15,897
After having been supportive and patient about this DAP for months i decided to sell mine, and to move on. I'm unhappy about a Fiio product for the first time, and even if i kept hope that the situation would improve in time i have to surrender now. I need a DAP who doesn't crash several times a day, i need a DAP who isn't sluggish to use, i need a DAP that would resume without crashing when i pause it for some time, i need a DAP with a balanced output that doesn't hiss so much, i need a DAP who can handle reasonably big libraries, i need a DAP i can rely on, and the X5 III failed in too many aspects (and i forgot to mention the poor wifi chip).

I know Fiio you did your best in trying to improve the situation, but there was too much to do and there is still so much to do, some you will fix, and some you can't fix (hardware related), i wish you the best and hope you'll end up making this device stable. I also hope you'll learn the lesson and don't release an unfinished product anymore (oh yes hardware is nothing without good software).

I don't really blame you, you're still a young company, and i know you'll improve in time, but for now you're not up to the task yet. Thanks for the good communication and support you provided though.

bye bye X5 III !

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #11,439 of 15,897
After having been supportive and patient about this DAP for months i decided to sell mine, and to move on. I'm unhappy about a Fiio product for the first time, and even if i kept hope that the situation would improve in time i have to surrender now. I need a DAP who doesn't crash several times a day, i need a DAP who isn't sluggish to use, i need a DAP that would resume without crashing when i pause it for some time, i need a DAP with a balanced output that doesn't hiss so much, i need a DAP who can handle reasonably big libraries, i need a DAP i can rely on, and the X5 III failed in too many aspects (and i forgot to mention the poor wifi chip).

I know Fiio you did your best in trying to improve the situation, but there was too much to do and there is still so much to do, some you will fix, and some you can't fix (hardware related), i wish you the best and hope you'll end up making this device stable. I also hope you'll learn the lesson and don't release an unfinished product anymore (oh yes hardware is nothing without good software).

I don't really blame you, you're still a young company, and i know you'll improve in time, but for now you're not up to the task yet. Thanks for the good communication and support you provided though.

bye bye X5 III !
Your requirements are perfectly reasonable although I don't suffer the same issues. Do you have an alternative in mind that will best suit you?

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #11,440 of 15,897

bye bye X5 III !

I do not have the same problem too. A crash has not occurred even once in the past few months. However, I don’t use FiiO Music. I use Neutron.

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #11,445 of 15,897
Thanks, I've been considering either Tidal or Spotify Premium (on free now but you're hobbled on a small device in free). Maybe I'll go with Tidal as it seems the quality is inherently better with hi res.

Did you have any thoughts on how the X5III implements Bluetooth?

What do mean? Quality of connection? Sound? I was using aptX codek (Fiio supprts it) - sound quality was good, but not perfect (wired better). Connection was even more stable than with Onkyo DPX1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back