Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 16, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #9,871 of 15,897
Agreed. I wish I could have purchased a black case in real leather but I'm still satisfied with the quality of the PU leather cases. I feel like the standard case, being thicker and more padded, will offer more protection to the X5III than the DAP & amp case. On the downside, I don't like that the cover flap on the standard case lacks cutouts to access the transport controls and volume wheel. In order to do anything on the player, you have to open the case up (unlike the stacked case which has cutouts in the cover flap to provide access to the controls.

Sorry for jumping on your thread, I did not realise you had both, I just wanted to show the other case.

I bet Hawaiibadboy is freaking out looking at my dirty cleaning cloth.

I personally like the closed case, I bought this case design for my Note 3 and X5ii. The brown leather is definiately a lot tougher, but I am actually liking the softer black PU leather case. As you said Tuffluv's Customer Care is second to none, I had a small crack in the plastic of my Note 3 case after a few months use and they sent me a new one without question.

I highly recommend them both for quality and service.

Jun 16, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #9,872 of 15,897
Sorry for jumping on your thread, I did not realise you had both, I just wanted to show the other case.
<snip>

Absolutely no need for apologies. If I was looking to purchase these cases, the more feedback and real life photos of them I could find, the better.

It's funny how well trained we're becoming with respect to HawaiiBadBoy's need for cleanliness. Just after I posted my photos of my case, I spotted the dust and a stray cat hair in the photo and immediately thought, "Oh man! HBB is going to lose it on me!" :)

Jun 16, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #9,873 of 15,897
I did, indeed, reach out to Tuffluv's customer service to express my concern with the design. I'm happy to report that they -- very quickly -- responded, acknowledging the issue. They stated that they are in the process of manufacturing corrected cases and will send me a replacement case when they are ready (they forecast 3-4 weeks).

While I was disappointed with the initial case, I continue to be impressed and satisfied with the level of customer service that I have received from this company. I will not hesitate to do business with them again.

I'll add this update to my original mini-review as well. I was also going to post a small review of the PU leather stand-alone case but I see that New Fiio Owner has beaten me to it.

Nice! Please keep us informed on how that will be going on, I really want to see how it comes around since if they pull it off and make new case that works, that would be a good indicator of their quality as a company.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #9,876 of 15,897
Jun 17, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #9,877 of 15,897
I "finally" took a look at the EQ... why does it stop at 16Khz? Is this unit not intended for the younger crowd? I'm in my early 40s and can still hear up to almost 18Khz. Not that I EQ much, but I was considering getting the iSine 10, and everything I read about them says that they need some type of EQing.

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #9,878 of 15,897
I "finally" took a look at the EQ... why does it stop at 16Khz? Is this unit not intended for the younger crowd? I'm in my early 40s and can still hear up to almost 18Khz. Not that I EQ much, but I was considering getting the iSine 10, and everything I read about them says that they need some type of EQing.

Because there is practically nothing audible (in terms of frequency applicable to music) at those frequencies. Try it yourself. Use a PC based equaliser and cut out the frequencies completely from 17 kHz up. Most will have a tick box you can engage and disengage so you can then listen real-time. Not having the ability to EQ above 16 kHz won't affect anything audible for you - so no need to worry.

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #9,879 of 15,897
Because there is practically nothing audible (in terms of frequency applicable to music) at those frequencies. Try it yourself. Use a PC based equaliser and cut out the frequencies completely from 17 kHz up. Most will have a tick box you can engage and disengage so you can then listen real-time. Not having the ability to EQ above 16 kHz won't affect anything audible for you - so no need to worry.

Good to know. Learn something new everyday (even for us old guys, lol).

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #9,880 of 15,897
The stacking kit arrives today and I like it! image.jpgimage.jpg

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #9,881 of 15,897

I bet Hawaiibadboy is freaking out looking at my dirty cleaning cloth.

I personally like the closed case, I bought this case design for my Note 3 and X5ii. The brown leather is definiately a lot tougher, but I am actually liking the softer black PU leather case. As you said Tuffluv's Customer Care is second to none, I had a small crack in the plastic of my Note 3 case after a few months use and they sent me a new one without question.

I highly recommend them both for quality and service.

Glad the company is taking care of you. The industry is filled with good gear. It is not filled with good companies and reps that take care of the after purchase issues.

OT

Was once buffing the whip with a black and decker buffer and some stuff that made the ride look like it was just blue candy shining in the Hawaiian sun. A kid I knew walked up and was just saying damn...that looks unreal and then he puts his finger on the front right quarter panel????

I walk 20 ft away and wave him over and ask if he can see the ripple of the palm trees dancing across the glass like sheen? See that weird f'ing thing? That's your finger print bro...why would you do that? You stick your finger in cakes? You touch paintings at the museum? What on earth is wrong with you bruh? He was scared outta his mind. I was just confused. Not really pissed just stunned.

We gotta touch these screens..cannot be helped but when we take pics it's a display of joy (unless you are pissed about something) so seeing some dudes finger prints in a pic looks lazy. Some reviewers leave prints on the screen and tey should get banned from reviewing. I know a dude who reviewed the X5iii and did not like it and he takes great pics but left a nice pinky print on a prominent review pic. Not an accident at all. It is a subtle way to take a dig at a device.

I remember when the Sony Z7 was about to launch and the thread was pumping with activity and tons (most i ever saw) of guest viewers in the thread because Nomax said he would have one within hours.
He put it on his bed? ...
on a pink towel...
and plugged it into an ipod
and was playing a song from the soundtrack of TOP GUN (Danger Zone)
oh...and took the vid with a smartphone in low light and low res.

Sony had been releasing teaser pics with only portions of the headphones in view and it was brilliant and all that was shattered by a guy who wanted to be...I dunno....first?
Next day 25% of the guests were still tuning in the rest were gone.

My X5iii vid starts with a shiny warm light reflecting the image of a Hawaiian Honu above me on the ceiling. It's warm...clean....comfortable. Totally on purpose.

this is the end of my ramble...apologies in advance.

P.S.

If anyone witnessed that Z7 thread you would get it. It was so messed up it looked like a hit job by a rival company.

/end

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #9,882 of 15,897
The stacking kit arrives today and I like it!

that's pretty cool, but I don't like that the kit makes the device wider, by affixing that additional plastic corner on it though. I also wish the pause button was a tad further down the body or on the other side, as I stack using the rubber bands and it slightly covers the pause button

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #9,883 of 15,897
Glad the company is taking care of you. The industry is filled with good gear. It is not filled with good companies and reps that take care of the after purchase issues.

OT

Was once buffing the whip with a black and decker buffer and some stuff that made the ride look like it was just blue candy shining in the Hawaiian sun. A kid I knew walked up and was just saying damn...that looks unreal and then he puts his finger on the front right quarter panel????

I walk 20 ft away and wave him over and ask if he can see the ripple of the palm trees dancing across the glass like sheen? See that weird f'ing thing? That's your finger print bro...why would you do that? You stick your finger in cakes? You touch paintings at the museum? What on earth is wrong with you bruh? He was scared outta his mind. I was just confused. Not really pissed just stunned.

We gotta touch these screens..cannot be helped but when we take pics it's a display of joy (unless you are pissed about something) so seeing some dudes finger prints in a pic looks lazy. Some reviewers leave prints on the screen and tey should get banned from reviewing. I know a dude who reviewed the X5iii and did not like it and he takes great pics but left a nice pinky print on a prominent review pic. Not an accident at all. It is a subtle way to take a dig at a device.

I remember when the Sony Z7 was about to launch and the thread was pumping with activity and tons (most i ever saw) of guest viewers in the thread because Nomax said he would have one within hours.
on a pink towel...

Sony had been releasing teaser pics with only portions of the headphones in view and it was brilliant and all that was shattered by a guy who wanted to be...I dunno....first?

My X5iii vid starts with a shiny warm light reflecting the image of a Hawaiian Honu above me on the ceiling. It's warm...clean....comfortable. Totally on purpose.

P.S.

If anyone witnessed that Z7 thread you would get it. It was so messed up it looked like a hit job by a rival company.

/end

Woah

I feel bad when I see finger prints in reviews. I'm not sure if I am guilty of that, but I have a bit of a problem with dust, doing my best efforts to avoid dust, even by using brushes while talking photos nowadays.

I was not there in the Z7 thread actually, but I would believe your story, sounds like something that might happen in reality, saw this happen before in other threads.

Sad for something like this to happen to any product, a company spends countless hours taking photos of high end products, and we listen to IEMs with high end DAPs, DACs and AMPs, it is just sad when something like that happens to a product that's just launching.

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #9,884 of 15,897

OT

on a pink towel...

P.S.

/end

No offense meant, some little things enoy me too. I liked the Fiio slip case that they provided, however, it constantly bugged me that they had not punched the hole so that the blue light sat centrally, further, the border around the screen on the case was wonky, I was constanly trying to get my X5iii to sit square which it never did. I can say that the TuffLuv case fits perfectly square.

Woah

I feel bad when I see finger prints in reviews. I'm not sure if I am guilty of that, but I have a bit of a problem with dust, doing my best efforts to avoid dust, even by using brushes while talking photos nowadays.

I was not there in the Z7 thread actually, but I would believe your story, sounds like something that might happen in reality, saw this happen before in other threads.

Sad for something like this to happen to any product, a company spends countless hours taking photos of high end products, and we listen to IEMs with high end DAPs, DACs and AMPs, it is just sad when something like that happens to a product that's just launching.

Very poor standards for professional release, it makes you wonder if they are so slack with this, how slack is their quality control for the product?

My photos however, were just a quick 1 minute snap, at least the objects are in frame these days, in the past people regularly lost their heads or legs when I took photos.

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #9,885 of 15,897
Dear friends,

I have contacted our engineers about that again. Actually, the CPU model RK3188 can only support a single TF card itself like the X7 does. Therefore, the TF card slot 2 is an add-in storage in mounted mode. It will be unmounted in sleep mode automatically which leads to some time for it to mount again after waking up again. But the time will be within 3s or so. Sorry if this issue is bringing inconvenience to you and thank you for the kind understanding in advanced!

Best regards

@FiiO Is that the reason why several 3rd party apps won't see the 2nd SD card?
And if an app doesn't see the second card, should that be fixed by FiiO in the firmware or fixed with an update of the app?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back