Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 9, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2,206 of 15,895
i am getting one as well as I think fiio nailed it with specs and 2 sd card slots and dual dacs

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #2,207 of 15,895
That's just using an X5II as a transport. Might as well have saved money and gotten an X3II to use as a transport. No difference except for the price. Saying how good someone else's DAC is is rather irrelevant.
will there be any difference in sound quality with a dac that supports coaxial and USB, if:

1. I use a cheap android phone and use USB?
2. I use a dap like fiio x3, x5 and feed it to coaxial ?

Both must be sending bits and must sound same?

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #2,208 of 15,895
will there be any difference in sound quality with a dac that supports coaxial and USB, if:

I thought that as well - but it seems that certain transports can influence sound a bit. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #2,209 of 15,895
Strictly from a sound perspective using X5ii coaxial out into a Schiit Modi Multibit, well amped sounds amazing. Not portable, obviously.

Anyone out there has tried the X5iii together with iFi Audio micro iDSD?

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #2,210 of 15,895
I'm pretty much on the same page, Keep trying to find a way to get it sooner than later. :p haha

Only issue is that I can probably save 100$ if I wait :/

Patience is a virtue my friend,  and saving money is good too. 
biggrin.gif

Just a matter of weeks now so stay strong.

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #2,211 of 15,895
Maybe you won't have to wait too long.  Yesterday, on FiiO's Facebook page, they replied to a release date question with "It's estimated to be released worldwide by the end of this month."

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #2,212 of 15,895
Damn. Pre-ordered today before reading over 1000 thread posts !!

Looks like feedback says it hisses with SE846's. Cant bare background hiss so will have to cancel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #2,213 of 15,895
Ordered today from AMP3, good price with the discount and cashback.

Really looking forward to this player, hope it doesn't suffer the WiFi issues that the Cayin I5 has, I had to send 2 of them back due to issues with streaming etc etc.

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #2,214 of 15,895

I thought that as well - but it seems that certain transports can influence sound a bit. 

A transport can influence the sound. But we I say transport, I say a physical transport such as for CD-sized media. What I was saying is that really,using the digital out from a good player is not really going to be all that much noticeable. Hence my using the X3II vs the X5III. Besides, this is a thread on the X5III and not how well some other DAP sounds (not in comparison).

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #2,216 of 15,895

A transport can influence the sound. But we I say transport, I say a physical transport such as for CD-sized media. What I was saying is that really,using the digital out from a good player is not really going to be all that much noticeable. Hence my using the X3II vs the X5III. Besides, this is a thread on the X5III and not how well some other DAP sounds (not in comparison).

Wait, what?...

Someone asked if X5-3 will sound better as a transport 
confused_face_2.gif

I tried to answer : Sometimes the transport to a DAC/AMP can influence the final sound. This is because of different power, clock, and other kind of implementations. The data should theoretically be the same between two different transports - but two different transports connected to the same DAC/AMP might sound different. 

X5-3 might make a better transport than X1ii for example. 

Well - I do think that X5-3 would make one of the best transports on the market based on features alone - dual mSD slots, 4" touch display, Android, V4A, it's UI is smooth, and other factors. 

So without factoring in the differences in SQ which can be huge or marginal between two transports feeding the same DAC / AMP, I would totally recommend X5-3 as a transport! 

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #2,217 of 15,895
In single end with k10u with silver gold cable, hiss is barely heard.
If se846 go with single end it will be fine
smily_headphones1.gif

That is great to hear! 
etysmile.gif

Looking for someone who owns ie800 to test - or I will test it when I get an X5-3 in me paws. I do expect ie800 to be fully silent with x5-3 tho, since ie800 hardly picks any hiss off any source out there 
gs1000.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #2,218 of 15,895
I just pre-ordered mine with the code for £350 which I think is a great price compared to many other DAP's. I haven't had a DAP since 4th Gen iPod Nano! Recently been using my smartphone with a Dragonfly Red or Mojo. 

Its actually 7 years since I ordered from AMP3, a set of Shure SE535's. Never had an issue with them before.

I assume they are only selling the Black one from the photo.

Just ordered on impulse really, never had a Fiio before but the specs appeal to me. I hope its better than output from my S7 and no background hiss as I only use sensitive SE846's. Not expecting it to be as good as Mojo but hoping it will at least match a Dragonfly Red.

I will need to read all the thread now !!

Before I wade through the whole thread, couple of questions I'd like confirming from others with more knowledge:

• It does have 2 microSD slots ?
  • It plays DSD's (Native or DSD to PCM?)
  • Will Spotify/Tidal be playable with offline content without Android upscaling?
  • Will UAPP app work in bitperfect
  • Anybody already mentioned no background hiss with SE846's ?
  • Do inline controls of earphones work (play/pause etc.)

Thanks

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #2,219 of 15,895

Assuming both the source, signal as well as receiver are in good design / quality, then they should in theory have the same quality. Of course, that is a lot of assumption in there. Lees than ideal design can introduce jitter and distortion. Sometime even something as trivia as the software decoder can has subtle effect on the final sound, so it is impossible to say in certainty that there won't / will be any difference between the two without serious measurement.

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #2,220 of 15,895
I have pre-ordered an X5 III for use with my Z1R, 64ohm 100db efficiency. I am torn as  also for similar money can get a Mojo. I think the DAC sections are in many ways a wash as both should sound excellent, but I'm concerned about which device has the better amplification section for a headphone such as the Z1R. Has anybody in this thread heard both the Mojo and X5 III and have any thoughts on the amplification performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back