Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 13, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #13,142 of 15,897
I decided to give the upgraded UAPP player a try now that it supports the X5III fully. I really like the integration with Google Play Music, Tidal, et. al.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out what setting to tweak to get UAPP to respond to the Track+/Track- buttons on the X5III. Does anyone have this working? For that matter, the track skip buttons on my Sennheiser BT headphones don't work with UAPP either even though they work in Pure Music mode and pretty much every other app that I use in Android mode.

Any hints?

My track skip buttons worked with UAPP no tweaking required... running UAPP version 4.2.3

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #13,144 of 15,897
I can take a look and see what key lock settings and uapp settings I can fiddle with to try "breaking" the functionality, then reverse it. I'll let you know.

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #13,145 of 15,897
Hmmmm. Odd. I'm also running 4.2.3 but my track skip buttons don't work in UAPP (but they work in all other apps). I'll reach out to the app authors. Thanks for the feedback, WitzyZed
hello i have the same problem... sometimes its working, sometimes - like going from Neutron - dont...i wrote to the dev... and thier sayd i am the only one with this problem....strange....

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #13,146 of 15,897
hello i have the same problem... sometimes its working, sometimes - like going from Neutron - dont...i wrote to the dev... and thier sayd i am the only one with this problem....strange....

Thanks for the feedback jokobuba. You may now rest easy knowing that you are NOT the only one with this problem. I have also written to the devs. We'll see what they have to say.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #13,147 of 15,897
Looking for a replacement for Sony Walkman NWZ-F887 which has its 3.5mm plug busted after just three years. The Fiio has essentially two plugs which improves longevity.

Should I expect a significant improvement in audio quality over the Walkman? I'm no audiophile, and spending this much on a DAP is pretty extravagant.

Is the battery user replaceable without soldering? I'm no stranger to opening up electronics.

As I use it exclusively as a Spotify player, I expect I'm able to assign the SD card as the primary storage so I can download all my tracks at highest quality? Any gamebreaking OS issues with Spotify playback remain?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #13,148 of 15,897
Looking for a replacement for Sony Walkman NWZ-F887 which has its 3.5mm plug busted after just three years. The Fiio has essentially two plugs which improves longevity.

Should I expect a significant improvement in audio quality over the Walkman? I'm no audiophile, and spending this much on a DAP is pretty extravagant.

Is the battery user replaceable without soldering? I'm no stranger to opening up electronics.

As I use it exclusively as a Spotify player, I expect I'm able to assign the SD card as the primary storage so I can download all my tracks at highest qualitty?
Since audio quality is not priority, the cheapest android DAP currently is the Hidizs Ap200 at $299. However, the software is supposedly very bad so it's not a solid recommendation. Higher up you have the Cayin N5ii which is priced at $369. Add another 30 bucks and you have the X5iii.

I think the N5ii and X5iii will sound better than the Sony but the Ap200 may sound worse. Between the N5ii and X5iii I personally like the N5ii better due to its more dynamic, transparent and articulate sound. The X5iii is softer, darker and more laid back sounding.

If you are looking purely at jack durability I'd the hidizs ap200 has the most one.
https_%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fbensin%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F07%2F20170712_160016-1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #13,149 of 15,897
Since audio quality is not priority, the cheapest android DAP currently is the Hidizs Ap200 at $299. However, the software is supposedly very bad so it's not a solid recommendation. Higher up you have the Cayin N5ii which is priced at $369. Add another 30 bucks and you have the X5iii.

I think the N5ii and X5iii will sound better than the Sony but the Ap200 may sound worse. Between the N5ii and X5iii I personally like the N5ii better due to its more dynamic, transparent and articulate sound. The X5iii is softer, darker and more laid back sounding.

If you are looking purely at jack durability I'd the hidizs ap200 has the most one.

I've looked at the Cayin, and it apparently has a weak 3.5mm socket so that's a deal breaker for me given my experience with the Sony.

I like the touch screen UI of the Fiio mkIII, with hardware buttons where it matters - although haven't seen them in person, only used their entry level amp.

Would you say the audio has an appreciably better quality with metal and hard rock between mkII and mkIII, enough to sway a neophyte like me to one or the other?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #13,150 of 15,897
I've looked at the Cayin, and it apparently has a weak 3.5mm socket so that's a deal breaker for me given my experience with the Sony.

I like the touch screen UI of the Fiio mkIII, with hardware buttons where it matters - although haven't seen them in person, only used their entry level amp. Would you say the audio has an appreciably better quality with metal and hard rock between mkII and mkIII, enough to sway a neophyte like me to one or the other?
The jack is fine. Even higher end DAPs like the DX200($800+) uses the same type of jacks.
amp-2-side.jpg

I like a more neutral sound so naturally I'd prefer the X5ii the X5iii. It really depends on personal taste. I find that a more neutral dap will complement a wider range of IEM's and headphones better because they don't add any unnecessary coloration.

The X5ii isn't android btw.

Again, it's best to try it out yourself if possible.

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #13,151 of 15,897
The jack is fine. Even higher end DAPs like the DX200($800+) uses the same type of jacks.

I like a more neutral sound so naturally I'd prefer the X5ii the X5iii. It really depends on personal taste. I find that a more neutral dap will complement a wider range of IEM's and headphones better because they don't add any unnecessary coloration.

The X5ii isn't android btw.

Again, it's best to try it out yourself if possible.

Then mkII is out, as I only use Spotify. I ripped all my 300+ CDs in LAME VBR 192kbs fifteen years ago, but haven't looked back after I got a premium subscription.

Will take a second look at the Cayin!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #13,153 of 15,897
Whilst Spotify works on the X5iii the small memory and slow processor does mean that its interface can be sluggish. Once Spotify is running and playing music either streamed or saved on SD it has been performing fine for me. Downloads are also slow and having tried with a wired network connection using a USB ethernet adapter I don't think it is the WiFi causing the bottleneck. Running other apps whilst playing back from Spotify seems to cause some skips/stutters; I have found it best to get music playing and then leave the device alone, this also prolongs battery life.

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #13,154 of 15,897
If I run UAPP off of a fresh reboot, scrolling through my library is smooth and fluid, start playing a song or two, I go back to browsing albums, say, and it's chugging a little bit (might be my album art size to blame not the software), is this consistent with other uapp & X5 users?

I don't have this kind of effect using PureMusicMode & stock player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back