Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 1, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #12,886 of 15,897
Mar 1, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #12,887 of 15,897
The cards were in my X3ii, I'm still on the fence about the X5gen3. I've tried to format the card in my old X3 and X1 also but no luck either, both cards were 64GB Sandisk Ultra. Its possible these are from the same batch since they have similar S/N but I have 3 other 64GB Sandisk Ultra cards that are still working and I've gotten one of the bad cards replaced by Sandisk under warranty for free (just paid shipping cost, $2.85 IIRC), just been too lazy to send in the second one.

Hi DavidA for what I read you can still see the files

Since you are using windows can you please try the following:
1. Click Start > type “regedit” and open “Registry Editor”.
2. Now follow the below path after opening registry editor :- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/StorageDevicePolicies.
3. Now you will see “Write Protection” option. Double click on that and set the value data to ‘0’.
4. After setting the value data to ‘0’ again try copying or formatting your sd card.
5. After performing the above step you are still not able to format your sd card then continue to next step.
6. Open Command Prompt (as administrator) and type diskpart and press Enter key.
7. After opening diskpart type “list disk” and again press Enter button.
8 .Now type “select disk X”. where X corresponds to SD card shown on list disk commands; (Remember to change X in the command with the number of the drive you want to clean. If you fail to choose the correct number will erase all the data from the wrong drive.)
9. Type the following command to clean the drive and press Enter:
clean​
10.Type the following command to double-check the drive still selected and press Enter:
list disk
If the drive still selected, you will notice an asterisk (*) next to the disk​
11. Type the following command to create a partition and press Enter:
create partition primary​
12. Type the following command to select the partition you just created and press Enter:
select partition 1​
13.Type the following command to set the partition active and press Enter:
active​
14.Type the following command to format the partition using NTFS and to set a label, and press Enter:
format FS=NTFS label=XXXXXX
Remember to change the XXXXXX in the command with the drive name you want to use.​
15.Type the following command to assign a drive letter and press Enter:
assign letter=W
Remember to change W in the command with a letter you want that isn't in use by another drive on This PC.​
16. Use the exit command to close DiskPart to complete the task.
Hope this helps,
Regards

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #12,888 of 15,897
Fiio X5iii ...Maybe a little TOO late to the Audiophile market

Had a chance to compare Fiio x5 iii with LG V20.

High impedance mode in LG V20 (4 dacs triggered ) using Soundmagic E80c (64 ohm) on 320kbps CBR mp3s was a REVELATION (as far as mp3s go.)

From Stings 'Fragile' to Chers 'Lie to me' ,
from Sia 'Cheap thrills' to Miley Cyrus 'My darlin'' , across genres and vocal types , V20 rocked the IEM earpieces to the fullest
Here is my note about my experience .

V20 packs more amplification comapered to fiio x5 iii .V20 offers a slightly wider soundstage but its beauty lies in proper recreating the soundstage , The background , middle layer, and forward vocals are easily separable .
Fiio X5iii has strength lying in its pristine presentation which more often than not felt a lil bit underpowered .But thats just me tho .

I could hear more separation in V20.While fiio X5III has more Attack , V20 is more laid back . X5iii has a lil more mid-forward approach while V20 has lil recessed mids .

While fiio X5III has a darker silent background hence presentation is pristine V20 has more warm and vibrant background and sounds more musical

While fiio X5iii is Clinical in Nature , the V20 has ability to bring out ORGANIC details , even from the mp3s which I never knew existed before.

Exactly, well said. And ditto for my first impressions of the LG K20.
But the only ‘bug” I’ve found is in the missing MTP (Media Transfer Protocol).
It doesn’t seem to be implemented in the Verizon LG K20.
So the USB connects to Win 7 as “Portable Device” instead of as a lettered drive.

Nope. Not "well said" :frowning2:
OK, impressions are impressions and sound is subjective and blah blah blah, but still there are some limits.
That description you quoted is not subjective, it's all over the place, like all that user's posts that I happened to encounter on many occasions.
It's like he switched the X5 and V20 sound characteristics on purpose :) Or he doesn't understand hi-fi lingo.

Also K20 has nothing to do with V20. Not the same audio components. Look at the specs sheet at gsmarena or anywhere.
You like your phone, fine. But that has nothing to do with any remotely approaching "objective" description in the post you quoted.
This place can get very confusing for new users, so I'd say... let's keep it decent.

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #12,889 of 15,897
''Clinical'' is the last word I would use to describe the sound of X5iii. It's definitely not clinical but smooth and musical to my ears. To put it differently I can safely say it's the less ''clinical'' sounding device I've ever used...

No offense to the original writer of the above but I stopped reading after I saw the aforementioned word.

Everyone's hearing is different indeed after all.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #12,890 of 15,897
''Clinical'' is the last word I would use to describe the sound of X5iii. It's definitely not clinical but smooth and musical to my ears. To put it differently I can safely say it's the less ''clinical'' sounding device I've ever used...

No offense to the original writer of the above but I stopped reading after I saw the aforementioned word.

Everyone's hearing is different indeed after all.
Wonder what he will say when he listens to DAPs with sabre dac.

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #12,892 of 15,897
Mar 1, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #12,894 of 15,897
Nope. Not "well said" :frowning2:
OK, impressions are impressions and sound is subjective and blah blah blah, but still there are some limits.
That description you quoted is not subjective, it's all over the place, like all that user's posts that I happened to encounter on many occasions.
It's like he switched the X5 and V20 sound characteristics on purpose :) Or he doesn't understand hi-fi lingo.

Also K20 has nothing to do with V20. Not the same audio components. Look at the specs sheet at gsmarena or anywhere.
You like your phone, fine. But that has nothing to do with any remotely approaching "objective" description in the post you quoted.
This place can get very confusing for new users, so I'd say... let's keep it decent.

I would not endeavor to try to be “objective” about device(s) that I (obviously) never personally demonstrated.

And please know that you are wrong about the audio components being different.

I have stated in this forum on many occasions that the Fiio x5III was the best sounding DAP I had ever heard (note the past tenses).
Today the advancing technology in chips (Moore’s Law), and the competitive, aggressive market in DAPs is actually outpacing our ability
to assimilate the changes on a personal level.

In that light, I would never, ever doubt the capability of an audio product without actually hearing it for myself.

I beg your pardon, but If you tried that, there would be no need for discussion.
It would be obvious that the newest technology is indeed, superior.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #12,897 of 15,897
Mar 1, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #12,898 of 15,897
Hot tip, This just in...:
The LG K20 sounds better than the Fiio X5III.

I wanted an LG V20 but the size was too large for shirt pocket use.
Don’t know if it’s true but I was told at the Verizon store. the internal guts of the K20 are the same as the V20
w/o all the fancy camera gadgetry (which I wouldn’t use anyway).

Playing through Poweramp, the quality of the sound is unbelievable!

I haven’t let the battery drain lower than about 15% - but it appears that just mostly playing tracks for many hours a day, the battery will go at least two – possibly three days.
And (of course) the battery is removable and replaceable.

Nougat Android UI and WiFi interface is smooth, fast and reliable.
Plus I can freakin’ make and receive calls!

It appears Moore’s Law is definitely alive and well!

Well, although I found the native sound of the LG K20 a bit harsh, all the ambient information was there.
The sound signature I prefer is dictated by Poweramp’s EQ and Tone/Vol settings.
Of course I’m talking headphone output here – the tiny speakers in the device are awful.
I would not endeavor to try to be “objective” about device(s) that I (obviously) never personally demonstrated.

And please know that you are wrong about the audio components being different.

I have stated in this forum on many occasions that the Fiio x5III was the best sounding DAP I had ever heard (note the past tenses).
Today the advancing technology in chips (Moore’s Law), and the competitive, aggressive market in DAPs is actually outpacing our ability
to assimilate the changes on a personal level.

In that light, I would never, ever doubt the capability of an audio product without actually hearing it for myself.

I beg your pardon, but If you tried that, there would be no need for discussion.

I quoted some of your older posts for reference.

The fact that some salesman at Verizon told you that "the internal guts of the K20 are the same as the V20" and you're not even sure about that, doesn't make them equal. You should know by now the salesmen would tell you anything to SELL. Especially those "highly trained" ones in electronics retail stores.
Please see here: https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8678&idPhone2=8238
The V20 has a MSRP of 460EUR and the K20 one of 160EUR. It's just not economically viable to put the ESS Sabre Quad DAC that is inside the V20 in the K20, not say anything about it anywhere, and charge 300EUR less for it :) They DON'T have the same "internal guts" sorry to say.

The sound signature you prefer
is dictated by Poweramp’s EQ and Tone/Vol settings.

That doesn't say anything about the K20 in terms of sound and you cannot - based on that - say "The LG K20 sounds better than the Fiio X5III." I mean you can, but it's Poweramp sound processing that sounds "better" TO YOU.

First of all the X5 3rd was released in 2017 and your phone - the LG K20 in 2016, and no, the newest tech is not always superior.

I understand you're happy about how your phone tweaked through Poweramp EQ/DSP sounds, but that is not a "Hot tip: The LG K20 sounds better than the Fiio X5III" for everyone.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #12,899 of 15,897
I quoted some of your older posts for reference.

The fact that some salesman at Verizon told you that "the internal guts of the K20 are the same as the V20" and you're not even sure about that, doesn't make them equal. You should know by now the salesmen would tell you anything to SELL. Especially those "highly trained" ones in electronics retail stores.
Please see here: https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8678&idPhone2=8238
The V20 has a MSRP of 460EUR and the K20 one of 160EUR. It's just not economically viable to put the ESS Sabre Quad DAC that is inside the V20 in the K20, not say anything about it anywhere, and charge 300EUR less for it :) They DON'T have the same "internal guts" sorry to say.

The sound signature you prefer

That doesn't say anything about the K20 in terms of sound and you cannot - based on that - say "The LG K20 sounds better than the Fiio X5III." I mean you can, but it's Poweramp sound processing that sounds "better" TO YOU.

First of all the X5 3rd was released in 2017 and your phone - the LG K20 in 2016, and no, the newest tech is not always superior.

I understand you're happy about how your phone tweaked through Poweramp EQ/DSP sounds, but that is not a "Hot tip: The LG K20 sounds better than the Fiio X5III" for everyone.

Oh, if one would only stop trying to defend one’s indemonstrable position and simply
“listened“, “listened” for one’s self.

I think Charles Darwin coined the phrase “evolution”.

Thank you for your concern.
END of off topic discussion.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #12,900 of 15,897
@ctruth
Although I stand by what I said, I don't like the harsh tone of my latest posts and I apologise for that.

Ultimately everyone is entitled to express their impressions and subjective descriptions of sound and such, and I shouldn't act as law enforcer around here... sorry.

I too often surrender to impulse writing and later I realise that I offend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back