Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #12,451 of 15,897
Not particularly warm. I've done a complete reset to make sure it isn't a software bug. If it persists I will contact Fiio. Just to check, what are your timer off settings?

Also, is there any way to disable lockscreen for Fiio Music? I want to jump into the player the moment i turn my screen on.

About disabling lockscreen, there should be an option somewhere in the settings, maybe with dev options, but I am not 100% sure, I left it enabled

About auto-turn-off, there is a huge difference between us. I keep it turned off at all times, and I manually turn the player off every single time I use it, for every player I have

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #12,452 of 15,897
About disabling lockscreen, there should be an option somewhere in the settings, maybe with dev options, but I am not 100% sure, I left it enabled

About auto-turn-off, there is a huge difference between us. I keep it turned off at all times, and I manually turn the player off every single time I use it, for every player I have

You can turn off the regular lockscreen but the fiio music player has its own lockscreen and despite looking everywhere I can't find a way to disable it. EDIT: NVM found it. "Disable album art at lockscreen found in fiio music app settings"

I understand about the differences and totally agree. Do you know what the difference is between sleep and idle-power off? I also realised that minute counter on my sleep option resets to off everytime the device restarts.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #12,453 of 15,897
I have also been thinking that for that selection of headphones, iDSD BL might be a good addition, either this or adding AMP5 to X7mkii instead of keeping AM03A. X5-3 is quite weaker than X7mkii even when we speak about X7mkii + AM03A, the driving power of X5-3 is laregely not enough for LCD-2, EL-8, HD700, and here I am talking about loudness, they just don't get loud enough for me liking, especially if adding an EQ.

George, please stick to facts! The X5iii outputs 250mW@32 Ohms with 250mA of Current, and the X7ii (AM3A SE) outputs 150mW@32 Ohms with 150mA of Current.

The X7ii with AM3A is NOT more powerful than the X5iii.

180A691B-F147-4357-B7EA-D3DA7D5FBA8A.jpeg

Also, you need to qualify that you listen extremely loud so that others have a point of reference when you are making statements. You keep saying the X5iii doesn’t get loud enough with the LCD-2 and I say it most certainly does owning both. The X5iii can easily drive the LCD-2.

We just went through this with you and the current LCD-2 revision (70 Ohm, 101mW/dB SPL) requires th following to reach 120dB. This is more than enough from the X5iii for painful loudness on dynamic peaks:

EA7C4476-9E24-4A8E-B812-1B48A77A3D24.jpeg

Even the HD700 with 150 Ohm, 105dB/mW SPL is not an issue for the X5iii at fairly loud levels (going by the numbers, I don’t have the HD700):

3301DD21-5743-4AA1-8C18-CAAF46DA8B9F.jpeg

Headphone power calculator source:

http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

I’m not defending the X5iii vs the X7ii and frankly I never use the X5iii because it still has issues outputting a digital signal with high bit rate tracks (I purchased it as a transport), and I’m not too fond of it’s sound in comparison to my other gear. I’m just trying to get you to be more discriminate with the incorrect statements you repeatedly make.

Edit: I know you are trying to be helpful for @DavidA but you aren’t really helping making by false statements. Given that David likely prefers a brighter signature like you I think the X7ii would work better for his tastes.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #12,454 of 15,897
@george,
Fiio x3 allows bass/treble adjustment in usb dac mode.
I use youtube almost every day, i play kids songs, our son really enjoys them, also playlists for us, i let them run without caring to chose next tracks, and i'd like to use this dap for a bit more power and quality then the phone. This would apply to google music or tidal but having so many issue makes it hard to use it. C'mon it's a dap, audio player. Audiophile or not.
I have another problem in google music. Even if the internal memory has over 20 gb of free space, after downloading 2 or 3 albums it tells me the memory is full. And shows on storage usage various random values around 40 gb or so. I don't think it is the app itself as it runs fine on our phones.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #12,455 of 15,897
George, please stick to facts! The X5iii outputs 250mW@32 Ohms with 250mA of Current, and the X7ii (AM3A) outputs 150mW@32 Ohms with 150mA of Current.

Also, you need to qualify that you listen extremely loud so that others have a point of reference when you are making statements. You keep saying the X5iii doesn’t get loud enough with the LCD-2 and I say it most certainly does owning both. The X5iii can easily drive the LCD-2.

We just went through this with you and the current LCD-2 revision (70 Ohm, 101mW/dB SPL) requires th following to reach 120dB. This is more than enough from the X5iii for painful loudness on dynamic peaks:

Even the HD700 with 150 Ohm, 105dB/mW SPL is not an issue for the X5iii (going by the numbers, I don’t have the HD700):

I’m not defending the X5iii vs the X7ii and frankly I never use the X5iii because it still has issues outputting a digital signal with high bit rate tracks (I purchased it as a transport), and I’m not too fond of it’s sound in comparison to my other gear. I’m just trying to get you to be more discriminate with the incorrect statements you repeatedly make.

Edit: I know you are trying to be helpful for @DavidA but you aren’t really helping making false statements. Given that David likely prefers a brighter signature like you I think the X7ii would work better for his tastes.

This ! I was going to comment - but it sometimes seems I'm picking on you George. What I think you need to do is take a step back and qualify yourself before you comment. Make sure you explain to people that you listen unnaturally loud, and prefer hyper-etched treble. Nothing wrong with those preferences (apart from the risk of hearing damage) - but people need to know them before you comment.

And have you actually heard the HD700? I have - I owned it. Senn designed it to be easily driven (ie from a basic smart-phone). It was one of its selling points. 150 ohms and reasonably sensitive. Its a doddle for the X5iii.

One last thing - I just ran a power calculator after I saw this:

I might listen way louder than you do, but I have my X7mkii kept at 90% of volume even with ie800 and signature studio, X5-3 was at absolute full volume and it was not loud enough...

To get to 120 dB (threshold of pain) with the IE 800, you need only 0.56 vrms, 35mA of current, and 19.6 mW of power. If FiiO's specs are to be believed (and they are very good at giving the correct specs backed by measurements), the X5iii will output 2.8 vrms at up to 250 mA, and at 480 mW. If you are using the IE800 at full power from the X5iii you should be deaf already.

Jan 21, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #12,456 of 15,897
George, please stick to facts! The X5iii outputs 250mW@32 Ohms with 250mA of Current, and the X7ii (AM3A SE) outputs 150mW@32 Ohms with 150mA of Current.

Even the HD700 with 150 Ohm, 105dB/mW SPL is not an issue for the X5iii at fairly loud levels (going by the numbers, I don’t have the HD700):

Edit: I know you are trying to be helpful for @DavidA but you aren’t really helping making by false statements. Given that David likely prefers a brighter signature like you I think the X7ii would work better for his tastes.

At this point we might consider that since I met with only one X5-3 sample , it might have been broken somehow, because that one was quieter than X7mkii is with AM03A with the same IEMs / Headphones, like Meze 99C, where I turned that one to absolute max, and where X7mkii needs around 70 - 80 on HG and EQ enabled to be quite loud with Meze 99C.

So I'll try to test another X5-3 unit and see if that one behaves similarly.

I should mention though, there are like, what, 6-7 versions of LCD-2 around, the one I can test is most certainly not the latest version, more like one of the first versions.

This kinda makes me wonder, I don't even know if the version I heard of LCD2 is pre or post fazor (?)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #12,457 of 15,897
This ! I was going to comment - but it sometimes seems I'm picking on you George. What I think you need to do is take a step back and qualify yourself before you comment. Make sure you explain to people that you listen unnaturally loud, and prefer hyper-etched treble. Nothing wrong with those preferences (apart from the risk of hearing damage) - but people need to know them before you comment.

And have you actually heard the HD700? I have - I owned it. Senn designed it to be easily driven (ie from a basic smart-phone). It was one of its selling points. 150 ohms and reasonably sensitive. Its a doddle for the X5iii.

One last thing - I just ran a power calculator after I saw this:

To get to 120 dB (threshold of pain) with the IE 800, you need only 0.56 vrms, 35mA of current, and 19.6 mW of power. If FiiO's specs are to be believed (and they are very good at giving the correct specs backed by measurements), the X5iii will output 2.8 vrms at up to 250 mA, and at 480 mW. If you are using the IE800 at full power from the X5iii you should be deaf already.

Like I said above, I'm starting to think that I haven't heard a proper X5-3 :triportsad:

Yep, I heard LCD-2, HD700, HD800, HD800S, pretty much all of Sennheiser's offering and some Audeze models.

I will test another X5-3 when I get the chance, as it really seems like there was something off with the one I tested, that one was way too quiet for my liking and for my typical usage.

I do not listen that loud most of times, in fact I tend to listen loud, but quieter than some / most of my friends. This further indicates that I need to re-analyse an X5-3...

At this point I am starting to wonder if different iterations of LCD-2 also have different loudness levels, or better said, if they are different in how hard they are to drive.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #12,458 of 15,897
Not particularly warm. I've done a complete reset to make sure it isn't a software bug. If it persists I will contact Fiio. Just to check, what are your timer off settings?

Also, is there any way to disable lockscreen for Fiio Music? I want to jump into the player the moment i turn my screen on.
Check to see if you have any google services runnin in android. That seems to be the issue normally.

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #12,459 of 15,897
At this point we might consider that since I met with only one X5-3 sample , it might have been broken somehow, because that one was quieter than X7mkii is with AM03A with the same IEMs / Headphones, like Meze 99C, where I turned that one to absolute max, and where X7mkii needs around 70 - 80 on HG and EQ enabled to be quite loud with Meze 99C.

So I'll try to test another X5-3 unit and see if that one behaves similarly.

I should mention though, there are like, what, 6-7 versions of LCD-2 around, the one I can test is most certainly not the latest version, more like one of the first versions.

This kinda makes me wonder, I don't even know if the version I heard of LCD2 is pre or post fazor (?)

All LCD-2 ‘s are all in the same ballpark. Sensitivity is the spec to look at, more so than impedance, and even then they are all within ~10 Ohms @1kHz. Mine is a pre-fazor revision 2.2. The Meze 99 Classic is also very easy to drive. Max volume from the X5iii with these headphones should be painful.

Another thing to consider, and I mean this very sincerely, is that you may actually have high frequency hearing loss. When using the X5iii you may have found the upper regions to be too smooth for your tastes and turned up the volume to compensate vs the X7ii which naturally sounds brighter so you didn’t need to turn it up as loud to get your coveted cymbal impact. it’s literally the only thing that makes sense to me. At the volumes you listen at (with the ie800, and 99 Classics for example) on high gain I would be concerned. I’m not intentionally trying to worry you or pick on you, but I think it’s something you should consider.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #12,460 of 15,897
Be careful telling people they might have hearing loss, imagine their shock when they can't hear above 20kHz anymore!

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #12,461 of 15,897
Check to see if you have any google services runnin in android. That seems to be the issue normally.
Is Google services running in the background only an issue with battery in Android mode & not pure music?

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #12,462 of 15,897
Be careful telling people they might have hearing loss, imagine their shock when they can't hear above 20kHz anymore!

I didn’t suggest it lightly, and I get that you’re being somewhat humorous in your post.

I’m curious how the Meze handled 70-80 on high gain from the X7ii actually because the 99 Classic specs say they have a maximum input power handling of only 50mW.

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #12,463 of 15,897
I didn’t suggest it lightly, and I get that you’re being somewhat humorous in your post.

I’m curious how the Meze handled 70-80 on high gain from the X7ii actually because the 99 Classic specs say they have a maximum input power handling of only 50mW.

I'm sorry I really didn't mean to make light of your warning about it. I played the drums without optimal hearing protection and I'm lucky I got wise before it became an issue. My dad works in concert lighting and over the years he has gotten the ringing in the ears of frequencies he can't process anymore.

I figure in general as listeners of music (and equipment) get older their tastes will shift to brighter and brighter gear, to compensate for the gradual diminishing in HF sensitivity.

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #12,464 of 15,897
All LCD-2 ‘s are all in the same ballpark. Sensitivity is the spec to look at, more so than impedance, and even then they are all within ~10 Ohms @1kHz. Mine is a pre-fazor revision 2.2. The Meze 99 Classic is also very easy to drive. Max volume from the X5iii with these headphones should be painful.

Another thing to consider, and I mean this very sincerely, is that you may actually have high frequency hearing loss. When using the X5iii you may have found the upper regions to be too smooth for your tastes and turned up the volume to compensate vs the X7ii which naturally sounds brighter so you didn’t need to turn it up as loud to get your coveted cymbal impact. it’s literally the only thing that makes sense to me. At the volumes you listen at (with the ie800, and 99 Classics for example) on high gain I would be concerned. I’m not intentionally trying to worry you or pick on you, but I think it’s something you should consider.

I just prefer the sound to be brighter than most people simply as a preference. I don't think I have any hearing damage, and from my latest doctor checkupo I shouldn't have any either.

I think I figured it out with some friends over in Romania, testing a different X5-3 unit, seems that I might have been hearing one that was not final production and which had a little issue with not having enough output power.

I still think that the top end on X5-3 is too smooth for me, and X7mkii is actually how it should be and perfect.

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #12,465 of 15,897
I'm sorry I really didn't mean to make light of your warning about it. I played the drums without optimal hearing protection and I'm lucky I got wise before it became an issue. My dad works in concert lighting and over the years he has gotten the ringing in the ears of frequencies he can't process anymore.

I figure in general as listeners of music (and equipment) get older their tastes will shift to brighter and brighter gear, to compensate for the gradual diminishing in HF sensitivity.

This is a misconception a lot of people have. Bright sound and high frequency extension do not necessarily correlate. I am in my mid fifties and have diminished capacity to hear higher frequencies, perhaps even more so than what is normal for someone my age due to working in factories my whole life, always with appropriate PPE though, and yet I am very sensitive to bright sounding reproduction. Many also incorrectly presume that diminished frequency response due to age reduces one's ability to differentiate between how one component sounds compared to another. These two things are also not correlated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back