Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Nov 10, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #12,046 of 15,897
I already use the RM1 but I find it a little combersome on the go, was hoping for something watch like that might do the same job, it's a standard bluetooth protocol so hoped it might be integrated into one of these 10,000 'smart' wearables that have bluetooth. Alas only mentions I can see are for bluetooth camera control. :rolling_eyes:

Nov 10, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #12,047 of 15,897
I already use the RM1 but I find it a little combersome on the go, was hoping for something watch like that might do the same job, it's a standard bluetooth protocol so hoped it might be integrated into one of these 10,000 'smart' wearables that have bluetooth. Alas only mentions I can see are for bluetooth camera control. :rolling_eyes:
Actually I'm looking for something like that too. Simple cheap smartwatch / wristband to use with my headphones that don't have in-line cable remotes. If you find something, please let me know.

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #12,049 of 15,897
Hi
I still see the following bugs in the new firmware:
- gapless is still not effective for me. This is really ennoying and is a function advertised by Fiio, so shall work flawlessly
- resume does not work... after a while it gets stuck to one file. Each time I resume it goes to one specific file, don t know why. Not very important though
- order in the folder is not alphabetical. In fact only the first letter of album is sorted, after the X5 will sort by last added folder. For instance I just added Annihilator folder, it is now at the end of the A list... so after Avantasia for instance which does not make sense. Same ... not a killing one but still
- nothing more has been done on the DLNA side from the release of the first firmware...

Fortunately the sound is very good, which is the primary reason why I bought it, but still would be good to fix those bugs for good, especially as it must impact all Fiio products ...

i can add only one bug (plus one missing feature)
- the silence when switching from flac [or other format] to dxd when the new track comes i just able to hear a tick and a silence for few minutes (even i change track)...
- plus im still waiting for replaygan :)

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #12,051 of 15,897
Question for anyone:

The whole area of balanced cables is new to me. What would be the best way to get, say, a Sennheiser HD600 or 650 or 660 S cable into the balanced 2.5 mm socket on the X5 Gen 3?

And would the 600 or 650 @300 ohms and the 660 S @ 150 ohms have sufficient output out of the balanced for a reasonable listening experience?

Thanks for any advice!

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #12,052 of 15,897
Question for anyone:

The whole area of balanced cables is new to me. What would be the best way to get, say, a Sennheiser HD600 or 650 or 660 S cable into the balanced 2.5 mm socket on the X5 Gen 3?

And would the 600 or 650 @300 ohms and the 660 S @ 150 ohms have sufficient output out of the balanced for a reasonable listening experience?

Thanks for any advice!
I bought an Ebay cable for my HD600's, also have a pair of FIIO IEM's also balanced. After months of use I find the benefit to be near zero. I really can't hear the slightest difference. Your ears might be able to hear something but I think it is purely hype.

I have no problems with my HD600 and the X5iii. Other's feel it needs an amp.

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #12,053 of 15,897
I have to agree going balanced against SE on the fiio and other daps I must add does nothing for me, I have only noticed a change on my fostex desktop amp

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #12,054 of 15,897
I bought an Ebay cable for my HD600's, also have a pair of FIIO IEM's also balanced. After months of use I find the benefit to be near zero. I really can't hear the slightest difference. Your ears might be able to hear something but I think it is purely hype.

I have no problems with my HD600 and the X5iii. Other's feel it needs an amp.

Edit: Googling around I've been able to find the 4-hole Balanced female to 2.5mm that you would connect to a standard 4-pin male XLR adapter with the little proprietary Senn connectors at the other end...and I was also able to find a 2.5mm balanced cable consisting of the 2.5mm male adapter directly connected to the Senn proprietary connectors. The latter would be the easiest I guess.

I hear everyone that balanced may not make an audible difference but just curious anyway, since FiiO has made that an option on the X5III.

Anyway, any further ideas appreciated!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #12,055 of 15,897
Edit: Googling around I've been able to find the 4-hole Balanced female to 2.5mm that you would connect to a standard 4-pin male XLR adapter with the little proprietary Senn connectors at the other end...and I was also able to find a 2.5mm balanced cable consisting of the 2.5mm male adapter directly connected to the Senn proprietary connectors. The latter would be the easiest I guess.

I hear everyone that balanced may not make an audible difference but just curious anyway, since FiiO has made that an option on the X5III.

Anyway, any further ideas appreciated!
If you are just going to use the headphones with the FIIO then the 2.5mm to sennheiser connectors is cheapest and IMO best way to go. If you are going to want to connect to other equipment then you have to pull the connectors off the phones and it can be a pain. I recall buying my cable from Dyson Audio on Ebay at the time.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #12,056 of 15,897

Actually there is a slight difference between SE and balanced, only not every headphones can show you that. Balanced out slightly decreases trebles. I used to have Sony XBA-300 which have a peak in trebles and with SE connection cymbals were too bright on some recordings, going balanced made higher frequencies less piercing and more natural. I was really happy with the effect.

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #12,057 of 15,897
I've ordered some random cheap devices to play with, will update if I get anywhere. :)

So I'm playing with a GV68 smartwatch (not particularily branded, 'cheap' device), think it's android wear based. In the remote app it has a "BT music" option and this seems to do what I wanted. It's not 100% reliable, was doing some funky things for a bit but now seems to offer Next Play/Pause Prev Vol+- via a touchscreen round layout. It also has a scrolling track title bar but that seems X5 app dependant, doesn't work in FIIO Music but did in Poweramp however the controls did random stuff in Poweramp (although I think certain apps don't even work with the hard buttons on the X5).

After messing with the not so great watch app for android it seems that FIIO Music is now sending it a notification (like an incoming email/sms) with the Track title. Not really the way it's meant to work so a little messy on the watch interface (takes you to another app/screen on the watch everytime you hit Next track :) ).

The X5 is the only android device I have so can't really compare how it works with an android phone to see if issues are X5 or general no-standard android based.

There is at least some hope, I'll have to see how I get on using it in practice, I imagine with the right combo of device and software it might be a good addition for those of us on the go.

Maybe @FiiO has done some testing with particular devices and might improve the FIIO Music support?

UPDATE: Apparently not android wear based and I seem to only be able to get the remote function to work in X5 android mode, pure music seems to unload something required. More playing. :)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #12,058 of 15,897
Couple of OTG-related questions. while it is working pretty well with my device, it does not play gaplessly, and battery life is terrible when playing from a flash drive. Are these known issues?

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #12,060 of 15,897
Don't know about battery, but OTG gapless flac works fine for me.
gapless is still not properly implemented with lossy files I assume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back