Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 16, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #7,681 of 15,897
It worth. I owned X5iii and sold it to get DX200.

X5iii surpasss many DAPs in his price rate up to 1000$ but DX200 surpass many DAPs that cost more than itself too.

I still in love with X5iii sound which smooth and sweet which I can't find it in my DX200 but DX200 give me a delicate, reference sound which X5iii can't give me.

I don't say that X5iii is bad.
My intention is both DAP are giant killer DAP in their price range.

But it just my comment plus my taste of listening and pairing. With different ears, taste, headphones, I may judge in opposite way.
Not that equal, X5iii still get over this phone in many categories eventhough not a hugh step.

But from other dactor, I recommend you to get new phone which you'll get many profits for your life then you can aim for higher DAP later. In my opinion, V20 can compare to DAPs in range of x3ii which is great for smartphone.

It is your taste indeed, I have the opposite impression.
DX200 has a flat-as-a-board signature that would suit "neutral-head/reference" fans, but bored me to death. Even with bassy IEMs, bass was on the light side.
For me, "reference" doesn't mean much...

Other than optional amp sections of DX200, I did prefer the X5-iii for its slight warm-ish signature (not very warm though, just a bit).
And UI-wise, FiiO is making progress faster than iBasso, my X5-iii has had very few annoying bugs, and most of them were linked with a defective sd card and music files with inappropriate cover art.
iBasso didn't seem to learn from the DX80 debacle, they really need to recruit a better software engineer.

Build-wise, they both are built fantastically.
FiiO battery could be better though, I feel they went for a smaller form factor which is just excellent for ergonomy, but a few more millimeters in thickness could have helped autonomy, we're far from 10 hours. My LG V10 with an extended battery (6000mAh instead of 3000) is still thinner and offers more autonomy and doesn't feel really inferior, SQ-wise.

Well, we can't all agree on preferred signatures.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #7,682 of 15,897
  Here we go:

You can download TWRP (custom recovery) for FiiO X5-III here.
SuperSU package (root) for installing through TWRP is here.

Brief instructions:
- Unzip twrp-2.8.5.0-X5.zip, install drivers (run DriverInstall.exe);
- Power off the X5, connect it to the computer via USB while holding the Previous track button.
- Start AndroidTool.exe, make sure that only  checkbox #2 is checked and LOADER device is found;
(for flashing stock recovery just untick #2 checkbox and choose #3 - recovery_stock.img).
- Press <Run> button, wait till flash operation is completed;
- Go to Advanced function tab and click <ResetDevice> button.
- We're done.

To enter custom recovery:
- Power off the X5;
- Push Previous track button, Play/Pause Button and Power button simultaneously.
- Wait 5 sec, release Power button;
- Wait till logo appears and then release all buttons.

The guide about using TWRP is here.

Enjoy!

If you appreciate my work, you can donate at the website in my sig...
Thank you.

so can we flash arise sound mod which is a modded v4a now using this

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #7,684 of 15,897
  battery life has been a issue with X5-iii.
Charge it more often then X5-ii.

Would make sense. Bigger, better processor. Bigger, better, brighter screen. Full Android with many apps running in the background. Should not come as a surprise.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #7,686 of 15,897
Here we go:

You can download TWRP (custom recovery) for FiiO X5-III here.
SuperSU package (root) for installing through TWRP is here.

Brief instructions:
- Unzip twrp-2.8.5.0-X5.zip, install drivers (run DriverInstall.exe);
- Power off the X5, connect it to the computer via USB while holding the Previous track button.
- Start AndroidTool.exe, make sure that only  checkbox #2 is checked and LOADER device is found;
(for flashing stock recovery just untick #2 checkbox and choose #3 - recovery_stock.img).
- Press button, wait till flash operation is completed;
- Go to Advanced function tab and click button.
- We're done.

To enter custom recovery:
- Power off the X5;
- Push Previous track button, Play/Pause Button and Power button simultaneously.
- Wait 5 sec, release Power button;
- Wait till logo appears and then release all buttons.

The guide about using TWRP is here.

Enjoy!

If you appreciate my work, you can donate at the website in my sig...
Thank you.

man you are way too awesome!!!. Where is the donation link, I could not find it in your signature. PM me if this is wrong to ask in this manner.

REALLY APPRECIATE IT

Great work, how about the stock recovery if in case we need to return to stock ROM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #7,687 of 15,897
so can we flash arise sound mod which is a modded v4a now using this

If it's a flashable zip, then most probably. Will it work? Maybe not...

It may work with right permission settings. Also with TWRP wont be able to flash the stock ROM from FiiO as it should be flashed with stock recovery.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #7,688 of 15,897
It may work with right permission settings. Also with TWRP wont be able to flash the stock ROM from FiiO as it should be flashed with stock recovery.

We really need the Android experts to get into a custom ROM, some of the things that I suggest:

1) Battery Management, deep sleep, etc, etc.
2) Custom EQs with renaming.
3) Custom launcher, without getting rid of the Pure Music.
4) Clean up of the firmware, option to not install Google services.
5) undervolt.
6) Option to use a different player in the Pure Music mode.

I do not know how to do this, but I am tech savvy, I will help
If necessary.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #7,689 of 15,897

Stock ROM updates from Fiio won't flash, but someone who would maintain edify script flashable roms would. :) It's not all that hard to make em either...

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #7,690 of 15,897
We really need the Android experts to get into a custom ROM, some of the things that I suggest:

1) Battery Management, deep sleep, etc, etc. - Doable with tweaks
2) Custom EQs with renaming. - possibly doable
3) Custom launcher, without getting rid of the Pure Music. - pretty sure it's impossible without source code from Fiio
4) Clean up of the firmware, option to not install Google services. - Doable with Aroma flashable ROM
5) undervolt. - Doable, but really ill-Advised
6) Option to use a different player in the Pure Music mode. - Most likely not possible without Fiio's source code

If necessary.

See comments next to your bullet points. Had I time I would probably mess around with it.

Keep in mind that Fiio willingly customized a lot of the OS and app structure to fit their needs... There's a dirty way of breaking some options, but without Fiio's code, we won't have a full android solution that covers all you've enumerated.

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #7,692 of 15,897

1) Battery Management, deep sleep, etc, etc.
2) Custom EQs with renaming.
3) Custom launcher, without getting rid of the Pure Music.
4) Clean up of the firmware, option to not install Google services.
5) undervolt.
6) Option to use a different player in the Pure Music mode.

If necessary.

Since its already rooted why dont ya try Xposed , GravityBox , After Market Mega Audio Mods (check Xda)
Try ROM toolbox Pro to uninstall any system service and App
Greenify (Rooted Xposed Options)-Amplify will keep battery in check (Wakelock blocker etc)
For pure music mode changes ..you may need to get a rom backup and and mod to reflash it .
I think it can be a separate bootup option .If thats true you may need to dump that partition to pc , make changes and flash it back.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #7,694 of 15,897
It is your taste indeed, I have the opposite impression.
DX200 has a flat-as-a-board signature that would suit "neutral-head/reference" fans, but bored me to death. Even with bassy IEMs, bass was on the light side.
For me, "reference" doesn't mean much...

Other than optional amp sections of DX200, I did prefer the X5-iii for its slight warm-ish signature (not very warm though, just a bit).
And UI-wise, FiiO is making progress faster than iBasso, my X5-iii has had very few annoying bugs, and most of them were linked with a defective sd card and music files with inappropriate cover art.
iBasso didn't seem to learn from the DX80 debacle, they really need to recruit a better software engineer.

Build-wise, they both are built fantastically.
FiiO battery could be better though, I feel they went for a smaller form factor which is just excellent for ergonomy, but a few more millimeters in thickness could have helped autonomy, we're far from 10 hours. My LG V10 with an extended battery (6000mAh instead of 3000) is still thinner and offers more autonomy and doesn't feel really inferior, SQ-wise.

Well, we can't all agree on preferred signatures. :D  

Since both are android, UI subject can be improve which Ibasso have update it. From my latest experience with both device with latest firmware version, UI experience is quite similar now.

From my taste, I like both device but in different genres of songs. But reason I take DX200 with me is resolution which its sound signature can reveal more thing in songs. I can hear more clear from this device, also able to pick the position of instrument easier than X5iii. X5iii have this kind of resolution too, but due to its sound signature, presentation of this kind of thing is easily missed but it give me a feel of musicality than DX200.

Yep

it still depend on pairing and taste :)

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #7,695 of 15,897
  Well... I've tried the individual files in each folder - no change.  And you are talking about FLAC files in your quote - FLAC files work fine - no issues - even with the embedded art.  The issue seems to be with any type of lossy file format other than MP3.

I'm really surprised that no one from Fiio has replied.

Quote:
  Dear Thx1326,

Thank you so much for the test and the feedback to us. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience bringing to you. I have reported to the engineers about that and asked them to have a look about that. We will report to you if we get more information from them.

Best regards 

Dear Thx1325,

We have replied you before. And the engineers will fix the art cover issue with ape files in next firmware update.As for WMA, they are still looking at it. Sorry for bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back