Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
May 19, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #15,601 of 15,897
I am so so sorry if this is a super noob question that has been asked many times before but besides gong to the extent of installing the Custom Kernel, is there any other tips that can help with making it run a little better??

Thank you

May 19, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #15,602 of 15,897
I am so so sorry if this is a super noob question that has been asked many times before but besides gong to the extent of installing the Custom Kernel, is there any other tips that can help with making it run a little better??

Thank you
I have stock firmware 1.25, no custom kernel.

I've tried to only install the minimum software on mine-in my case-USB Audio Player Pro, Tidal app, and Onkyo HF Player. I've left the FiiO player on but don't use it much. Then I uninstalled or disabled everything that was unnecessary for the basic local music or WiFi music streaming functions of the machine. The less that's on there the better. It is a slow machine with weak WiFi but once it's warmed up it does OK and in my case, streams pretty reliably. Good luck.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #15,603 of 15,897

Thank you

Agree with everything @BobSmith8901 said.
Without rooting it, that's about all that can be done.

The old FiiO Music app (3.4.1, 3.4.3, etc) used to clog up the filesystem with a bunch of logs and I think battery logs, too. Dunno if the current one (1.1.9-1.2.0?) has that issue still.

Also, the stock firmware has a bundled version of Google Play Store, and once it gets updated, the background processes it brings about can slow the device down a fair bit.

I've had times where the bare-bones play store simply doesn't function or throws errors at you when you try to download apps, and only once updated does it pass as functional.

From the 'Apps' section in X5iii's settings, you should be able to uninstall the play store and play services updates once you get all you need from the store. (Maybe change setting in play store to NOT auto update apps. But I'm not 100% if that applies to play store itself or just apps from it. YMMV)

May 22, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #15,605 of 15,897
Has anyone had their battery replaced in their X5iii ? I can only get 2-3 hours before it dies.
Mine was down to about 30 minutes. Looked into getting a battery to replace myself. I communicated with battery vendors and fiio but wasn't finding what i needed on ali express.. I finally contacted fiio and they accepted it. Sent it in on march 17th 2020 it was received and repaired on April 14th and shipped back to me on April 15th. Its now May 22 and the tracking number is still not in the system. I was told that it could take over 2 months to ship back home. I paid for the shipping to china and paid fiio 25 bucks for the replacement. Not really complaining, Fiio has worked with me on this, but not sure it is worth it to spend more than I already have on this player.

May 27, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #15,607 of 15,897
Just as an FYI... I have a complete Like New Fiio X5iii bundle for sale for $225.00 which includes shipping in continental US (48 states).
Includes the following:
Like New Fiio X5iii in original box with all accessories - clear silicone case has never been used. (last fw version that still had Viper Effects) - No issues - works great/sounds great!
2 - 256GB Sansung Evo Plus Micro SD cards to give you a total of 544GB storage.
1 Fiio Red Hardshell carrying case
1 Tuff Love Custom case/wallet for X5iii
1 Right Angle Gold Plated 3.5mm cord adapter
1 Pair of Sennheiser PXC 250 foldable on the ear noise cancelling headphones with new ear cushions and spare cushions.

Message me if you might be interested.

Good listening and enjoy the music.

Attachments

• Front-2.jpg
    Front-2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2 Samsung Micro SD Cards.jpg
    2 Samsung Micro SD Cards.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Carrying Case.jpg
    Carrying Case.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Carrying Case 2.jpg
    Carrying Case 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Tuf-Luv Case-2.jpg
    Tuf-Luv Case-2.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Tuf-Luv Case.jpg
    Tuf-Luv Case.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PXC250.jpg
    PXC250.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #15,608 of 15,897
Hi, Anyone facing Tidal login issue? I am on 1.2.5 with jkbuha 3.41 Kernel. Tried with Tidal 2.13 apk too but still unable to login.

edit: Seems to be adblock issue, any way to disable adblock in kernel?

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #15,609 of 15,897
Hi, Anyone facing Tidal login issue? I am on 1.2.5 with jkbuha 3.41 Kernel. Tried with Tidal 2.13 apk too but still unable to login.

edit: Seems to be adblock issue, any way to disable adblock in kernel?

Try first reinstalling this older version, authorize your account, etc., then update to this one.

Credit for this solution on 4PDA X5iii & Tidal topics, user grey684. (At least that’s where I found it).

I had no issues logging into the account with such versions.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #15,610 of 15,897
Try first reinstalling this older version, authorize your account, etc., then update to this one.

Credit for this solution on 4PDA X5iii & Tidal topics, user grey684. (At least that’s where I found it).

I had no issues logging into the account with such versions.

Still facing login issue, returned to stock 1.2.5 did factory reset but still unable to login.

May 29, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #15,611 of 15,897
Still facing login issue, returned to stock 1.2.5 did factory reset but still unable to login.
Worked about a week or two ago, I guess this is a more recent problem. No version of tidal posted by FiiO in their home page/forum has worked for me either. Access through UAPP is unaffected, though.

This isn't related to kernel, as users of M6 and M9 also reporting problems.

May 30, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #15,613 of 15,897
This may be a stupid question but here goes...

Is there such a thing as 2.5mm balanced male to a 3.5mm unbalanced female adapter or a 4.4mm balanced male to 3.5mm female so one can use standard 3.5mm non balanced single ended headphones or IEM's in the balanced outputs? Would there be an advantage to this??

What is the sonic advantage of using Fiio's 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter?

Thanks in advance.

May 30, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #15,614 of 15,897
This may be a stupid question but here goes...

Is there such a thing as 2.5mm balanced male to a 3.5mm unbalanced female adapter or a 4.4mm balanced male to 3.5mm female so one can use standard 3.5mm non balanced single ended headphones or IEM's in the balanced outputs? Would there be an advantage to this??

What is the sonic advantage of using Fiio's 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter?

Thanks in advance.

There's a significant disadvantage/risk to the circuitry by using a balanced to unbalanced adapter. For example, on this thread for the E1DA PowerDAC series (which currently only have 2.5mm output), it is stressed:

"You SHOULD NOT plug a single-ended headphone to a balanced source using an adapter. The adapter in this case will short-circuit the balanced output in the source. It might seem to work in the short run, but you are on borrowed time as you are slowly damaging the balanced circuit on your source and can lead to a burn out of the circuit."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back