Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Nov 16, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #15,346 of 15,897
Your call really. We left the 20m timer intentionally in case there was something really urgent that needed to be done on first boot (like say titanium backup). If you're not doing anything, just reboot...

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #15,347 of 15,897
No good. I've tried everything you've suggested. I even flashed back to a previous version of the Kernel. Screen still freezes about 30 seconds after rebooting.

Is there any way to flash back to the device's original firmware? Maybe I can do that and start all over from scratch.

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #15,348 of 15,897
Ah, I think I found the issue. I had copied the ZIP file onto one of the memory cards (card #1). Once I removed that card, the device now seems to be working. Should I have copied the ZIP file to the internal memory instead of the memory card?

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #15,349 of 15,897
Good to know. This shouldnt really be an issue, but as best practice I always keep zips in internal storage or delete them (TWRP can't read exfat properly anyway). I suspect the scripts tried to optimise the zip file, hence why you got this issue.

If ever you get this issue again, it's likely the data partition is corrupted, and recommend you reformat the player and start over.

1) reboot into bootloader mode (either via TWRP, command line, or power+play)
2) using the FiiO windows tool, then install the original FiiO firmware you wish (my preferred is 1.2.3)
3) using Witzy's excellent guide, then flash TWRP and the modded kernel of choice - you can go straight to 3.4.1, unless of course you're superstitious :)

Nov 16, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #15,350 of 15,897
Thanks for your help. I think there's actually an issue with one of the micro SD cards. I'm doing a little trial and error. I removed both cards, and the player did not freeze (I let it sit for about 15 mins, and it performed as it should). I am now scanning in one of the cards to see if all still goes well.

And just as an FYI, my cards are all formatted to FAT32. :)

Nov 16, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #15,351 of 15,897
Could you reformat to exfat and see if the issue goes away? You'll need to backup the data and transfer it back as the reformat is destructive, but I'm testing a hunch at the moment with exfat vs FAT32...

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #15,352 of 15,897
I will try that, but right now the player is working fine with a 400GB card, formatted to FAT32 (this is with the most current version of your Kernel). I'm in the process of backing up all the music from the 512 GB card. It's worth noting that the player was working okay with both cards formatted to FAT32, until I flashed the new Kernel earlier today.

Oh BTW, screen is no longer popping out of sleep mode on it's own!!! This was my main reason for the upgrade in the first place. :wink:

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #15,353 of 15,897
All seems to be good now. As suggested, i reformatted the card to EXFAT, reloaded my music files, and all seems well now. Thanks again for all your help!!!!

Nov 18, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #15,354 of 15,897
Thanks for this. If anyone else is experiencing any sd card issues with the custom kernel, it's likely to be a FAT32 issue (the filesystem performance is slower than ExFAT, so when the optimising scripts start caching the data then there could be some slowdowns depending on the tree/file structure and the number of files on the card). If you could reformat to ExFAT the issues will go away.

Need to have a chat with prispewnic on this to amend his script on non-exfat sdcards

Nov 18, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #15,355 of 15,897
FYI, the only reason I had the card formatted to FAT32 was so that I could use it in my XDUOO-X3, using RockBox. No other purpose.

Nov 18, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #15,356 of 15,897
There's a very good primer on the 2 formats here, and why fat32 is much slower than exfat:

https://thedigitalrenewal.com/difference-between-exfat-vs-fat32/

Assuming I'll have the time/patience to work on this in the coming months, I'd like to give the exfat driver an overhaul to take advantage of the new code I've injected into the kernel, for even better performance. But as things stand, exfat still gives much better performance than fat32 for the same card speed and file structure.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #15,357 of 15,897
Incidentally, that’s exactly what the maker of said products wants you to do. aka - unforced EOL.
And also why there’s significant resistance to any proper s0urce c0de for newer players.

I’m assuming you’ve not used my modded kernel on the X5.
Okay, I've done it yesterday, and the difference in speed is significantly ...
X5III feels like a totally new device, thanks.

I reformatted my 2 SDcards and transfered my 80'000 titles ...
Then I put it on power and let the Fiio Music App scan the 2 cards. After an hour (~15'000 titles) I went to sleep.

In the morning I was shocked, as the device was so hot, I couldn't touch it for longer than 2 seconds.
The screen was partially dark due to the heat. I disconnected from power and let it cool down outside.
The screen and all the buttons were not responsive at all, the only reaction was by holding the power key for about 15s, then it rebooted. But no response until the battery was dead.

After recharge, everything is back working again, as fast as last night. No heating at all ...
No clue what happened, but this morning my first thought was: I bricked my DAP ...
Fortunately I was wrong, I just burnt it in :)

X5III.jpg

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #15,358 of 15,897
Yeah don't worry about that. Happened a couple of times to me as well. Quite scary until the device cools down and does the magical resurrection trick.

In summary, the RK3188 does not have a temperature sensor (appalling I know) so FiiO wisely put in a few temperature regulators on the board. When the board temp reaches a cutoff temperature the power to the board is just cut off, but if the charger is still connected the device will remain hot. If this happens to anyone, unplug and leave it for 6h (or pop it in the fridge) and the device will boot either to bootloader or normally to Android.

The black part of the picture is where the RK3188 CPU is, obviously :) it goes back to normal after a bit.

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #15,359 of 15,897
Interesting, I was aware of none of that info. thanks

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #15,360 of 15,897
Everything seems to working well on my end, with one exception: the screen still will not remain dark when charging. I press the power button once, the screen goes dark, but pops back up after a few seconds. This happens both in Android mode, and in charging only mode. When charging in Android modem, because the screen is always on, it does tend to get pretty warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back