FiiO x5 (2nd or 3rd) and iTunes Stars
May 1, 2018 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

trgz

New Head-Fier
I'm still persevering with my old Classic 160GB but it keeps filling up so I'm finding myself being pushed into a new purchase, but...

I use the iTunes star rating system extensively (it helps keep the number of files down and makes playlist generation much easier) so I'm looking for a player that can do bi-directional rating. Currently, when I'm playing a track on my 160GB iPod, I may want to rate it up (to 4 or 5 stars) so it gets into my favourite music playlists, or down (to 2 or 1) so it is removed from the iPod when next synched (1 means it wouldn't be synched to my 240GB 5th gen either). I'm happy to adjust some of these practices to suit but it really needs to be a feature in some fashion.
I'd shorlisted the X5 2nd and 3rd gen due to the 2xSD card option (I doubt the 2nd gen is even a starter but it seems more 'robust' than the 3rd) though I'm guessing an Android based setup with a 3rd party App will probably be the recommendation. Sound is important to me, though any modern player will probably be an improvement I guess

Your thoughts please?
(FYI I still run iTunes 10.7.0.21 on Windows 10)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 3
Update (if anyone is interested): I ended up with an X5 3rd gen and whilst the stock FiiO player is very nice, there is a cheap app that will do Star ratings - Rocket Music player, and they also do an iTunes playlist sync tool. Great customer support from a very small US team and I was happy to pay for both (around £11 I seem to recall for the two). I use both the Rocket and the FiiO and onec I converted my FLACs to ALACs I then use the iSyncr to shift the tracks to the FiiO and bothways sync the ratings (which TBH is more of an issue now with my old iPod 160GB as I'm now listening to complete albums again since the X5 purchase)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back