FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 22, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #3,931 of 7,088
I think that since we aren't robots anything that is able to be caught with regards to timing delays (with included human error) would be enough. I mean, do we really need to know down to the millisecond. Personally, if it's that small a gap I wouldn't really care!

Totally agree just figured if he's going to go to all that effort might as well avoid the inevitable "But your findings aren't valid because ....." 
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #3,932 of 7,088
I think that since we aren't robots anything that is able to be caught with regards to timing delays (with included human error) would be enough. I mean, do we really need to know down to the millisecond. Personally, if it's that small a gap I wouldn't really care!

True. I would like to avoid someone questioning the validity of the test when I publish my results. I know it's not a big deal. Just trying to be safe with my claims.

But no, I wouldn't spend my entire weekend or break my head to come up with a fool proof measuring method. Will try the best I could, with what I have and know. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #3,933 of 7,088

True. I would like to avoid someone questioning the validity of the test when I publish my results. I know it's not a big deal. Just trying to be safe with my claims.

So, thinking out loud here:

To keep the test fair:
- I will be using only one card on the X5ii (Rated Class 10 per Fiio guidelines)
- I will be using the same card on both the devices (to rule out the possibility that one card's read/write speed could be faster than the other's)
- I will be formatting the card on each device before loading the data and beginning the test
- Instead of a side-by-side comparison, I will be actually timing the lag individually on both the devices
- The card will be loaded with approximately 10GB of same data for both the devices during the test 
- Write out script of what tests will be performed
- Record video of tests.
- Use video playback timer to accurately measure key entry to result
- Run test a 3rd time using both SD card slots.  Since dual cards is a feature it is fair to test whether dual card performance is less than single

Not pressuring you in to anything just offering requested input
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #3,934 of 7,088
  Not pressuring you in to anything just offering requested input
tongue.gif

Lol. You just brought back memories of the day I defended my master's thesis. But seriously, thanks for your input. That just gave me an idea on how to measure the time.

To keep the test fair:
- I will be using only one card on the X5ii (Rated Class 10 per Fiio guidelines) - I will be using a Sandisk 64GB Class10 microSDXC
- I will be using the same card on both the devices (to rule out the possibility that one card's read/write speed could be faster than the other's)
- I will be formatting the card on each device before loading the data and beginning the test
- Instead of a side-by-side comparison, I will be actually timing the lag individually on both the devices
- The card will be loaded with approximately 10GB of same data for both the devices during the test 
- Write out script of what tests will be performed - Probably not. I am lazy to do that
- Record video of tests. - Yes
- Use video playback timer to accurately measure key entry to result - I do not have a camcorder but only a digital camera that does not have a millisecond timer. But thanks for this tip, I will be placing my smartphone running a stopwatch in the video frame for the time reference. 
- Run test a 3rd time using both SD card slots.  Since dual cards is a feature it is fair to test whether dual card performance is less than single - I only have 1 Class 10 card. I don't want to purchase the second until I know I am keeping the X5ii.

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #3,935 of 7,088

Lol. You just brought back memories of the day I defended my master's thesis. But seriously, thanks for your input. That just gave me an idea on how to measure the time.

No.  Master's Board was less demanding and more reasonable then some HFer's can be
eek.gif
    You're a brave man person (shame on me for making assumptions
redface.gif
).

- Use video playback timer to accurately measure key entry to result - I do not have a camcorder but only a digital camera that does not have a millisecond timer. But thanks for this tip, I will be placing my smartphone running a stopwatch in the video frame for the time reference. 

I was actually thinking of being able to play video back on PC with video player but yeah looks like you would need higher end video editing program to get that level of precision
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #3,936 of 7,088
No.  Master's Board was less demanding and more reasonable then some HFer's can be
eek.gif
    You're a brave man person (shame on me for making assumptions
redface.gif
).

Hey, no offense taken.

I was actually thinking of being able to play video back on PC with video player but yeah looks like you would need higher end video editing program to get that level of precision
tongue.gif

Yes, I do not have any advanced video editing software. Just going to use iMovie or Windows Movie Maker. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #3,937 of 7,088
I get the point absolutely. When I find bands I like I am a completist and have to get everything they have done. That does lead to a problem in that I own far more music than I could ever sensibly listen to but I like pretty much everything I own. When on the move I tend to listen on shuffle and there is something great about being surprised by a track you love but haven't hear for ages. Or by hearing an unusual version of a track (I own a lot of bootleg material by deep purple, Dylan Springsteen and the likes so have many versions of some songs). And when I am at home or in the car I tend to play albums that are new and/or that I have been reminded of by hearing a track off them on shuffle.

And there must be others like me or why would they make players with such high capacity and why would they be bought.

Anyway the Fiiox5 ii is on order along with 2 x200GB microsd cards and the next thing will be to find in ear phones that do the player justice. After all Christmas is just around the corner!! Any recommendations on 'phones gratefully received.

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #3,938 of 7,088
I get the point absolutely. When I find bands I like I am a completist and have to get everything they have done. That does lead to a problem in that I own far more music than I could ever sensibly listen to but I like pretty much everything I own. When on the move I tend to listen on shuffle and there is something great about being surprised by a track you love but haven't hear for ages. Or by hearing an unusual version of a track (I own a lot of bootleg material by deep purple, Dylan Springsteen and the likes so have many versions of some songs). And when I am at home or in the car I tend to play albums that are new and/or that I have been reminded of by hearing a track off them on shuffle.

And there must be others like me or why would they make players with such high capacity and why would they be bought.

Anyway the Fiiox5 ii is on order along with 2 x200GB microsd cards and the next thing will be to find in ear phones that do the player justice. After all Christmas is just around the corner!! Any recommendations on 'phones gratefully received.

The parallels are amazing. Pretty much exactly the way I use my X5 II. I use two 128 gig cards and have right at 14,000 songs on them (total for both). I can go many weeks and not hear the same song twice. It is great. There is not room for the 1.2 TB of music I have on my server...obviously, but I have 6 of the 128 gig cards so it covers the  majority of the collection. I swap them out every month or two and am ready for another several weeks of non-duplicate listening.

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #3,939 of 7,088

Dream Big:
  1. Thin adapter, size of X5, holds 4 SD cards, connects via USB OTG cable
  2. 4x best "bang for buck" SD's which right now would be 128 x4 + 2 Internal = 768gb (1.8tb if you're hemorrhaging cash)

Or strap on a 2.5 portable SSD drive for 1tb

the next thing will be to find in ear phones that do the player justice. After all Christmas is just around the corner!! Any recommendations on 'phones gratefully received.

http://aurisonics.com/product/asg-2-5/

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #3,940 of 7,088
Good morning all! I'm having a weird issue with my unit... Just happened a few times in the past few minutes that the music started skipping, so I assume it was a couple of buggy tracks. Switched to a different artist, and now it seems to be reversing rapidly on the track line-counter back to 0:00 and kept doing that until I restarted the X5II. Now it seems to be okay but has anyone ever seen that?? What can be the issue?

Got something of sorts, which was solved after restart. 

On mine probably it was because it got disconected while paying dac. 

I'm not sure but I do know I'm steering clear of the borderlands II soundtrack :)

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #3,941 of 7,088
Good morning all! I'm having a weird issue with my unit... Just happened a few times in the past few minutes that the music started skipping, so I assume it was a couple of buggy tracks. Switched to a different artist, and now it seems to be reversing rapidly on the track line-counter back to 0:00 and kept doing that until I restarted the X5II. Now it seems to be okay but has anyone ever seen that?? What can be the issue?

You're likely on track with one of the files being corrupted.  Haven't had this with X5 but on Ipod Classic it would glitch on certain songs and then nothing short of restart would fix it.  I just don't think the OS/Firmware on these little DAPs are sophisticated enough to gracefully recover from an error state like PC/Smartphone would be expected to do.

To be honest, I've never updated the firmware or added a .lib so perhaps it got stuck in that cycle when trying to sort of debug itself? I would but it just takes too much time and patience with the amount of free time I actually do have these days. Shame really, I was really loving it until today regardless of having to use line for aux input on my car without hands-free...

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #3,942 of 7,088
To be honest, I've never updated the firmware or added a .lib so perhaps it got stuck in that cycle when trying to sort of debug itself? I would but it just takes too much time and patience with the amount of free time I actually do have these days. Shame really, I was really loving it until today regardless of having to use line for aux input on my car without hands-free...

Firmware update is really quick and painless.  Just download ZIP, extract to SD in Slot 1 and basically reboot http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39932&extra=page%3D1

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #3,943 of 7,088
Anyone else have an issue with the USB DAC mode suddenly not working?  It has worked fine until now.  When I plugged it in a little while ago the screen on the X5ii said DAC for a brief moment, then switched back to the standard display.  It isn't recognized properly by the computer.  In the device manager it shows up as a generic USB device and shows some sort of data error.  I can switch back to storage mode and plug it back in and all is well, storage mode works.  But if I go back to DAC mode the same thing happens.  Just a moment of displaying DAC on the X5ii, then nothing.

Is it possible that the driver verification is causing the issue (Windows 10)?  I disabled it when I installed the driver and it has been working fine ever since.  Now this. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #3,944 of 7,088
Anyone else have an issue with the USB DAC mode suddenly not working?  It has worked fine until now.  When I plugged it in a little while ago the screen on the X5ii said DAC for a brief moment, then switched back to the standard display.  It isn't recognized properly by the computer.  In the device manager it shows up as a generic USB device and shows some sort of data error.  I can switch back to storage mode and plug it back in and all is well, storage mode works.  But if I go back to DAC mode the same thing happens.  Just a moment of displaying DAC on the X5ii, then nothing.

Is it possible that the driver verification is causing the issue (Windows 10)?  I disabled it when I installed the driver and it has been working fine ever since.  Now this. 

Was just reading about a lot of problems with Windows 10 driver issues in the DAC-19 thread.......... Same thing, was working, then kaput........

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #3,945 of 7,088
Was just reading about a lot of problems with Windows 10 driver issues in the DAC-19 thread.......... Same thing, was working, then kaput........

Well, that's not promising.  Thank you for the feedback.  I'm a little burned out from work tonight.  Maybe I'll mess with it another time.  I'll let you folks know if I figure anything out.

Side note about Windows 10:  The new Edge browser is horrible.  It's slow and glitches like crazy.  It barely functions with this site.  On the weather site I use the radar doesn't work (it hilariously gives an error message saying I need to update to a "modern" browser in order to view the radar), and on and on.  I've found multiple standard sites that simply don't function at all.  It's garbage at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back