FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 9, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #31 of 7,088
I see they labeled the buttons this time.  It's a minor cosmetic change that will really help new users... 
smile.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 9, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #34 of 7,088
Confused by some of the comments re the amp section in Fiio's portable players. I only have my portable cans/monitors with me (on the road in Cambodia) at the moment, but this wouldn't be my first choice for driving fullsize cans anyway. Can I ask what cans others are having problems with ? I know there is a difference between volume and driving a pair of 'phones to the optimum - just not sure I share others desire for a transport-DAC-amp stack when that's precisely what I'm trying to avoid on the road. Even in a hotel room, running my MBP straight into the E17k is as complicated as I need my life to be - still, horses for courses and I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

May 9, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #35 of 7,088
Confused by some of the comments re the amp section in Fiio's portable players. I only have my portable cans/monitors with me (on the road in Cambodia) at the moment, but this wouldn't be my first choice for driving fullsize cans anyway. Can I ask what cans others are having problems with ? I know there is a difference between volume and driving a pair of 'phones to the optimum - just not sure I share others desire for a transport-DAC-amp stack when that's precisely what I'm trying to avoid on the road. Even in a hotel room, running my MBP straight into the E17k is as complicated as I need my life to be - still, horses for courses and I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

The amp in the original X5 is great, it's just that the line out has been reported as cleaner, slightly less grainy. I take those comments as 'why not shoot for the moon' type of comment. Nothing wrong with the amp section of the X5 Classic IMO.

May 9, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #36 of 7,088

I think people including myself, believe that the amp section in the X5 leaves a little to be desired.  Hence, some of us use an external like the E-12 or, in my case, the Leckerton.  I was content with the X5's HO until I made the mistake of plugging the LO into the UHA.  I realized that the internal amp, IMHO, could stand to come up in crispness or sharpness. 
I think that's what other posters might be thinking.
I for one, am not going to buy the Gen.II until I read several reviews on how major the improvements are.

May 9, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #37 of 7,088
The amp in the original X5 is great, it's just that the line out has been reported as cleaner, slightly less grainy. I take those comments as 'why not shoot for the moon' type of comment. Nothing wrong with the amp section of the X5 Classic IMO.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised by some of the measurement's I'm seeing for the headphone out on some iDevices / smartphones atm, so it doesn't surprise me that a 'proper' line-out may well return good numbers. End of the day, it all comes down to what our ears (and wallets ..) tell us, but I admit that the geek in me still likes the separates stack even if it's one ungainly lump of metal and plastic to be toting around.

May 9, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #38 of 7,088
I stacked the X5 with the e12 almost exclusively until I bought some IEMs and the hiss was too much with the e12. I found the built in amp to be better than I thought, but will concede the line out is clearer.

On the lookout for another amp, e12a maybe............. Or we'll see how this X5 II is..........

May 9, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #39 of 7,088
I think people including myself, believe that the amp section in the X5 leaves a little to be desired.  Hence, some of us use an external like the E-12 or, in my case, the Leckerton.  I was content with the X5's HO until I made the mistake of plugging the LO into the UHA.  I realized that the internal amp, IMHO, could stand to come up in crispness or sharpness. 
I think that's what other posters might be thinking.
I for one, am not going to buy the Gen.II until I read several reviews on how major the improvements are.

I was keen on the X3ii based on some of the 'X3 vs X5' feedback here - I prefer a warmer sound sig - but my dealer simply cant keep up with demand. I'm currently leaning toward the aging 6th Gen iTouch into my E17k via the lightning-USB connector : works fine from my iPad Mini and the interface is rock solid, its just a ridiculously cumbersome duo anywhere beyond the front doors of my hotel room. I do have a LOD for the older 30-pin iPods but I think they're largely extinct now. Fiio seems to have mastered many of the UI demons which have haunted other Chinese DAP makers but its hard to go past Apple's expertise in that domain.

May 9, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #40 of 7,088
For a DAP I much prefer the non-touchscreen approach. Glad FiiO didn't do a touchscreen on this, though I see the benefits that the AK line brings to the table with their UI.

May 9, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #41 of 7,088
571 views in just over 4 hours! Imagine if there was more info! :eek:

May 9, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #42 of 7,088
It would be nice if FiiO could offer a trade-in program (along with a review tour).  The X5 isn't that old (is it?) and I'd happily be willing to trade mine in for an upgrade.
Cheers!:beerchug:  
-HK sends

Hopefully they'll offer a price break for original X5 owners like they did with the new X3 - but run it more smoothly!

May 9, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #45 of 7,088
Just heard back from Joe.  Fiio not ready to release full specs yet - but this should help whet the appetite a little :

1. All-new exterior design, improved build, with metal finish changed from powdered to brushed;
2. More compact and lightweight; smaller black borders around LCD;
3. All-new independent amplification stage with analogue volume control, increasing audio resolution;
4. All new digital audio architecture, utilizing dual crystal oscillators dedicated to multiples of 44.1 and 48kHz respectively (including 176.4kHz=4x44.1, 192kHz=4x48 and DSD64 and DSD128 (multiples of 44.1), handling all major sample rates without resampling artifacts and minimal jitter;
5. Supporting hardware DSD decoding;
6. Supporting CTIA-standard in-line earphone remotes (e.g. Apple, Samsung compatible earphones)
7. Breakthrough power architecture design that utilizes different system voltages for low and high gain, allowing maximum flexibility between long endurance and high driving power in the same unit.
8. All-new power management feature: auto standby mode allows player to remain in standby for weeks, ready to continue playing instantly.
9. Coulomb meter for precise battery level readouts.

There will be a preview round - not sure yet if it will follow usual Fiio format of several World tours.  If it does, I'll get a NZ and Australia one going. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back