FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 26, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #6,946 of 7,088
Different dac chip is one thing, different filtering is another. Marantz is particularly fond of implementing slow linear roll-off filter in most of their products, which sounds smoother and mellower. If you like it more or not, is up to your own taste. Slow roll-off filter gives sharper transients but lets more aliasing image, or distortion into the audio band.
More "lively" or more dynamic sound is expected from any desktop component with massive power supply as opposed to portable devices like daps, whose performance is often sacrificed at the cost of longer battery life.

So you seem to be saying that my AVR has the potential to have superior dynamics etc due to its greater power capability, so long as I'm into the Marantz sound (which I am). Anyway, it gives me something to listen for. Thanks, amigo. :thumbsup:

Apr 27, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #6,947 of 7,088
Many of the used ones I see don't have the the coax adapter, so I'll probably end up getting a few L21 cables. Problem is that it's too short for what I need. So which side is best to extend, the RCA end or the 3.5mm trrs end? I'd prefer to extend the 3.5mm side due to it being a smaller cable. But I kinda remember reading that the layout of the rings inside the X5 jack are not exactly standard and so may not work with all trrs cables. Is this true?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #6,948 of 7,088
Many of the used ones I see don't have the the coax adapter, so I'll probably end up getting a few L21 cables. Problem is that it's too short for what I need. So which side is best to extend, the RCA end or the 3.5mm trrs end? I'd prefer to extend the 3.5mm side due to it being a smaller cable. But I kinda remember reading that the layout of the rings inside the X5 jack are not exactly standard and so may not work with all trrs cables. Is this true?
You are correct about that, it's a multifunction port for line out and coax you will need to extend from the RCA and or it won't work

Apr 27, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #6,949 of 7,088
You are correct about that, it's a multifunction port for line out and coax you will need to extend from the RCA and or it won't work
What I mean is, I do see TRRS extension cables, like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RXNV3RG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=AQJ30SX0INWVM&psc=1. I just wonder if it absolutely has to be a FiiO-made plug to properly line up inside the jack. Has anyone tried an aftermarket TRRS cable for digital out on a FiiO multifunction port?

(happychef, I'm sorry if I'm being dense and that is in fact the question your answer was meant to address.)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #6,950 of 7,088
What I mean is, I do see TRRS extension cables, like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RXNV3RG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=AQJ30SX0INWVM&psc=1. I just wonder if it absolutely has to be a FiiO-made plug to properly line up inside the jack. Has anyone tried an aftermarket TRRS cable for digital out on a FiiO multifunction port?

(happychef, I'm sorry if I'm being dense and that is in fact the question your answer was meant to address.)
Nothing to be sorry about mate, my reply wasn't all that clear.as far as I know that kind of cable will only work with line out not coax out.if the longer fiio cable that has the coax 3.5 to male rca is not long enough for you you could extend it by using a longer coax cable that has Male on one end female on the other. I still have the coax adapter that came with my x5 you're welcome to have it, then all you would need is a regular long Male to Male coax. Hope that makes sense

Apr 27, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #6,951 of 7,088
Nothing to be sorry about mate, my reply wasn't all that clear.as far as I know that kind of cable will only work with line out not coax out.if the longer fiio cable that has the coax 3.5 to male rca is not long enough for you you could extend it by using a longer coax cable that has Male on one end female on the other. I still have the coax adapter that came with my x5 you're welcome to have it, then all you would need is a regular long Male to Male coax. Hope that makes sense

Are you serious?? Yes, absolutely I would be very happy to have your 2nd gen adapter! That would save me a bunch of cable buying hassle as I currently have all male-male coax cables (as you said) to receive the female of my 1st gen X3 adapter (mono TS 3.5mm). So I was gonna need all new female-male coax cables to receive the new L21 male RCA end.

Thank you so much -- you're a life saver! I'll send you a PM with my address and you can tell me how you'd prefer I send you shipping payment.

Apr 27, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #6,952 of 7,088
Are you serious?? Yes, absolutely I would be very happy to have your 2nd gen adapter! That would save me a bunch of cable buying hassle as I currently have all male-male coax cables (as you said) to receive the female of my 1st gen X3 adapter (mono TS 3.5mm). So I was gonna need all new female-male coax cables to receive the new L21 male RCA end.

Thank you so much -- you're a life saver! I'll send you a PM with my address and you can tell me how you'd prefer I send you shipping payment.
You're more than welcome it's just sitting in a drawer better that go to someone that needs it, I use the L21 cable at home and a 3.5 to 3.5 coax for the duo xd-o5 for out and about, I've never actually used the adapter

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #6,953 of 7,088
Just won an ebay auction for an X5ii, and I'm all geared up for it with accessories (cables, sd cards, case, etc.). The only thing I haven't found is an HS16 stacking kit, but I'm wondering if I need it. My portable amp is a JDS C5. Does anyone know how they compare in output power? I'm not finding apples to apples specs online.

My current DAP is a 1st gen X3. Though I almost always play the X3 through the C5, I could never really tell that I was benefiting much from whatever extra power the C5 was giving me. It was more that I prefer the C5's flatter tonality, plus I like the mild bass boost for some recordings.

My headphones are:
V Moda XS (30 ohm)
Senn HD 25 AL/Amperior hybrid (70 ohm)
Senn HD 600 (300 ohm)

I only use the HD 25 and XS for portable use, never the 600's.

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #6,954 of 7,088
Just won an ebay auction for an X5ii, and I'm all geared up for it with accessories (cables, sd cards, case, etc.). The only thing I haven't found is an HS16 stacking kit, but I'm wondering if I need it. My portable amp is a JDS C5. Does anyone know how they compare in output power? I'm not finding apples to apples specs online.

My current DAP is a 1st gen X3. Though I almost always play the X3 through the C5, I could never really tell that I was benefiting much from whatever extra power the C5 was giving me. It was more that I prefer the C5's flatter tonality, plus I like the mild bass boost for some recordings.

My headphones are:
V Moda XS (30 ohm)
Senn HD 600 (300 ohm)

I wouldn't bother with the stacking kit its really not worth the money, I went through 3 of them in 4 months the plastic is too flimsy and you can't use a case with it

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #6,955 of 7,088
I wouldn't bother with the stacking kit its really not worth the money, I went through 3 of them in 4 months the plastic is too flimsy and you can't use a case with it
Well you must have all the grace of a silverback gorilla then (j/k), because I have used the same stacking kit with my X3 1st gen for years (since it was released) and all I've had to do was replace the rubber bands once (the originals got a little stretched out). I assumed it would eventually break and I had a backup kit ready, but it never did.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #6,956 of 7,088
Well you must have all the grace of a silverback gorilla then (j/k), because I have used the same stacking kit with my X3 1st gen for years (since it was released) and all I've had to do was replace the rubber bands once (the originals got a little stretched out). I assumed it would eventually break and I had a backup kit ready, but it never did.
:laughing::laughing:a little midget one maybe. Possibly the x3 one is better made, I'd like to think I was just unlucky and not a great lumbering beast

May 2, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #6,960 of 7,088

My headphones are:
V Moda XS (30 ohm)
Senn HD 600 (300 ohm)

Allow me to quote myself to ask a point-blank question: which has more power, the X5ii or my JDS C5 portable?

Here are their published specs:
(they are not the same units as so I don't know how to compare)

C5
Max Output at 600 ohm: 4.146 VRMS
Max Output at 150 ohm: 3.580 VRMS
Max Output at 32 ohm: 1.182 VRMS
Power Supply: 14.0 Vpp
Output Impedance: 0.62 ohm

X5ii
Output Power 3: >27 mW at 300 ohm
Output Power 1: >245 mW at 32 ohm
Output Power 2: >436 mW at 16 ohm
Max Output Voltage: 8.2 Vpp
Max Output Current: 250 mA
Output Impedance: 0.2 ohm (32 ohm)

I'm pretty sure the C5 strictly has more power. But in the big picture, is this a meaningful difference compared to, say, my JDS Atom or any other desktop amp? And what does this mean for my three sets of headphones?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back