FiiO X3MKIII,Dual TI PCM5242,Dual-mode Bluetooth 4.1,Dual headphone outputs, Balanced Out, 192kHz/32bit

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by FiiO, Jul 15, 2017.
First

Back
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Page 39 of 41
40 41
Next

Last
  1. Brooko Contributor
    Dobrescu George likes this.
  2. jkauff
    I bought a set of Sennheiser HD 1 Bluetooth headphones, expecting to use it with my X3 III as well as my iPhone 8 Plus. Imagine my surprise when the X3 refused to play the hi-res files at all.

This player must certainly have enough computing power to downsample the hi-res files on the fly to something Bluetooth 4 can handle. Did no one at FiiO think of this, or will a solution be part of a planned firmware update? This is pretty basic behavior for a Bluetooth device, FiiO.

3. Brooko Contributor
    How about a little more info (FiiO aren't mind readers). What format bit rate and resolution isn't working?

TheoS53 likes this.
  4. jkauff
    Any FLAC file higher than 16/44.1 as far as I can tell. I don't have any 24-bit files less than 96.

Bluetooth turns everything into a lossy format anyway. I don't mind losing the resolution, I expect that. I don't expect that half my files on the memory card won't play at all.

5. Brooko Contributor
    I’ll test same with my unit later today

6. Richsvt
    I have no experience with BT but my unit plays everything I throw at it (FLAC, ALAC, DSD, AIFF, MP3) all different rates and resolution.
    Maybe something wrong with the card? I have to say that I've had only a very few glitches. This player runs smoothly and always sounds great to me.

7. jkauff
    I think you misunderstood. My unit works perfectly through wired headphones/IEMs, Line Out, etc.

The only problem is the Bluetooth implementation.

8. Richsvt
    so sorry, I totally misunderstood. Hope it works out for you...keep us posted.

9. fourrobert13
    If I recall correctly, FiiO said in the X1II thread that nothing over 16/44.1 flac could be played over bluetooth. Since these DAPs share hardware, I would think the same would be true for this DAP as well. To my knowledge, I don't know of any DAP that can play anything high res over bluetooth (even the top of the line DAPs). I could be wrong...wouldn't be the first time...lol:beerchug:

10. jkauff
    You may well be right, but apparently the latest X5 and X7 can input hi-res and output through Bluetooth 4--because they use Qualcomm's aptX. Maybe the SOC in the X3 can't resample and lower the bitrate on the fly like the Qualcomm chip.

Maybe I'll have to upgrade to an X5.

11. Brooko Contributor
    OK - just tested.

Flac 16/44.1 will play perfectly (no issues)

What doesn't (so far) - FLAC 24/96 or higher, WAV 24/96 or higher, APE 24/96 or higher, ALAC 24/96 or higher, AIFF 24/96 or higher, DSD

X3iii with a Trinity bluetooth head-set.

All will play perfectly over wired. I'm guessing because there is no AptX and some of those higher res formats aren't enabled for conversion in the SoC. Not surprised though, conversion would be hard on the limited processing hardware. I also guess they're not expecting really hi-res tracks to be used with Bluetooth. It kind of defeats the purpose.

My advice - get a good transcoder, and change everything on your DAP to standard FLAC 16/44.1. If transcoded properly, you won't notice any differences anyway.

12. jkauff
    Oh, transcoding is no problem, but I can play FLAC 16/44.1 on my iPhone using foobar2000 mobile. I'll just use my phone at work as my DAP, which is the only place I use the Bluetooth headphones anyway.

I don't think upgrading to an X5 is worth the money for my limited DAP use. I'll just use the X3 with my wired Westone IEMs and enjoy the full hi-res quality.

13. FiiO
    X3MKIII couldn't support some songs via Bluetooth playback.
    The formats and sampling rate X3MKIII could support:

AAC/AIF/AIFF/MP3/ALAC/FLAC/M4A/OGG/WAV/WMA:
    16bit:8kHz~48kHz
    24bit: 8kHz~44.1kHz

APE-Fast/Normal:
    16bit: 8kHz~48kHz
    24bit: 8kHz~44.1kHz

APE-High:
    16bit: 8kHz~48kHz

We will try our best to improve the Bluetooth function and make it more compatible in the future. Sorry for any inconvenience this might bring to you.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com http://fiio.udesk.cn/im_client/?web_plugin_id=24494&group_id=47899&language=en-us
    Dobrescu George likes this.
  14. jkauff
    Thank you for your detailed reply. I've been a FiiO customer since the original X3 was released, and have always been pleased. I understand the economics of not being able to supply aptX in a lower-cost product.

I was hoping that the SoC had enough power to downsample hi-res (to 24/44.1 perhaps) on the fly. If in fact it does, maybe you could implement SoX or a similar quality open-source downsampling algorithm in a firmware update at some point.

EDIT: I just looked up the SoC specs for the Ingenic JZ4760b. Seems like it would be quite capable of running SoX on the fly, or downsampling via its DSP. Please consider that for a future version of the firmware.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  15. Olimatou
    Hi all,

I am coming back because after having returned my FiiO X3 III, I was waiting for the Shanling M3s... And now it is there !

[​IMG]
    (There is a special film between screen and front glass to make front panel completely black when idle... So on picture with flash, screen doesn't appear really nice, but it is)

And I must say, it was worth the wait ! This little thing rocks ! No comparison possible between them... Shanling M3s exceeds the FiiO X3 III ... All is working out of the box and the interface is a must... Some little things to improve, like skip tracks when gapless is engaged, there is a delay where it is not possible, but overall performance is there and sound is very good and powerful without any issues.

I am waiting for a Nobunaga Labs Otegine cable for my MDR-1A headsets for balanced 2.5mm output. But sound is already good on the 3.5mm, sure it will be just better ! For me, if you have not yet decided to buy the FiiO and price tag don't afraid you, jump to the Shanling, it is worth every buck (or penny) ! But if you are in a budget, this is your choice...

And what a well designed device ! It is superb ! An impressive work from Shanling... I must admit that I was admirative when unpacking the precious... And when screen is idle, it disappear to let the front glass completely black to get a monolithic player, all was really well designed and competitors should learn from Shanling !

And sorry FiiO, but I don't regret your product facing this new wonderful piece of technology ^^ R.I.P. X3 ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    fourrobert13 and JaeYoon like this.
First

Back
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Page 39 of 41
40 41
Next

Last