FiiO X3MKIII || Dual TI PCM5242 || Dual-mode Bluetooth 4.1 || Dual headphone outputs || Balanced Out || 192kHz/32bit
Aug 23, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #256 of 613
So far I'm not hearing anything to convince me to buy one. I'm not satisfied with the X1II due to it's issues and lack of support, so why would anyone spend twice as much for another FiiO DAP with some of the same problems, plus a couple more? It's just not worth it to me. I'll stick with what I got. Other manufacturers are making DAPS at or below this price point that can do more for less and with less problems. As always, I hope it gets fixed, but I'll pass.

Me too...I keep looking for reasons to be swayed into getting one but nothing is convincing me either.

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #257 of 613
Me too...I keep looking for reasons to be swayed into getting one but nothing is convincing me either.

Well, what is it that you're missing (or looking for)? Why do you feel the need to upgrade in the first place? If you're mainly interested in the sound quality, I'll tell you that (so far at least) the X3iii seems to be doing everything better than the X1ii. It doesn't do any of it A LOT better, but the combination of it all does make for an ever so sweeter experience.

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #258 of 613
Well, what is it that you're missing (or looking for)? Why do you feel the need to upgrade in the first place? If you're mainly interested in the sound quality, I'll tell you that (so far at least) the X3iii seems to be doing everything better than the X1ii. It doesn't do any of it A LOT better, but the combination of it all does make for an ever so sweeter experience.

I guess I'm just looking for something like the X1II with better firmware or better hardware...the sound is fine for me.

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #259 of 613
I think that the most basic reason is that the largest part of the user base doesn't need this feature. I personally never use RG, I disable it and erase the metadata, not sure why, I just do this all the time. Somehow, I get the feeling that it degrades the quality of the sound sometimes....

I use replaygain when I have it playing random tracks. It's so much easier than having to constant;y change the volume.

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #260 of 613

On this note, I think that the need to always upgrade is natural, as long as something better exists, I would just suggest that going to the top directly might make for more impact, for example going from X1ii straight to X7mkii would bear more impact.

I use replaygain when I have it playing random tracks. It's so much easier than having to constant;y change the volume.

Woah, I hope that RG gets added then, I see now how it could be quite useful to some.

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #261 of 613
On this note, I think that the need to always upgrade is natural, as long as something better exists, I would just suggest that going to the top directly might make for more impact, for example going from X1ii straight to X7mkii would bear more impact.

It would make more impact soundwise and negatively on my bank account. :) X7 is just too expensive for me.

Aug 23, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #262 of 613
A few simple questions I'd like answered.

1) I haven't listened to any DAP's other than my old 2nd gen ipod, my Cowon S9 and my IPhone 6. Could anyone just give me a gut feeling "This sounds X percent better than an iPhone 6?" Or the S9? (And in what way?)

2) Usability is my second concern. I've stayed away from DAPs for the longest time waiting for "quality of life" developments. I want to be able to just drag and drop songs into the player. Ideally I'd like to make playlists that I can shuffle whenever I feel like it on the device. (And I don't mean just copying the songs over that I want to hear in a directory. I mean as in .M3U or other such file that just references the tracks so I don't have to make duplicates.)

I'm trying to decide on either a Cayin N3 or the Fiio X3iii. (If you have any ideas about the quality of sound difference between these two that would be useful.) Also, if you happen to know if you can just drag and drop tracks into the Cayin and create shuffle-able playlists on the device that would also be useful.

I'd REALLY like to find a professional review about the X3iii. The review tour was a little while ago. How long does it normally take?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #263 of 613

1) I haven't listened to any DAP's other than my old 2nd gen ipod, my Cowon S9 and my IPhone 6. Could anyone just give me a gut feeling "This sounds X percent better than an iPhone 6?" Or the S9? (And in what way?)

2) Usability is my second concern. I've stayed away from DAPs for the longest time waiting for "quality of life" developments. I want to be able to just drag and drop songs into the player. Ideally I'd like to make playlists that I can shuffle whenever I feel like it on the device. (And I don't mean just copying the songs over that I want to hear in a directory. I mean as in .M3U or other such file that just references the tracks so I don't have to make duplicates.)

I'm trying to decide on either a Cayin N3 or the Fiio X3iii. (If you have any ideas about the quality of sound difference between these two that would be useful.) Also, if you happen to know if you can just drag and drop tracks into the Cayin and create shuffle-able playlists on the device that would also be useful.

I'd REALLY like to find a professional review about the X3iii. The review tour was a little while ago. How long does it normally take?

The review units of X3-3 and X7mkii haven't arrived to me yet, sorry :triportsad:

Aug 23, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #265 of 613
Something DAP reviewers never seem to cover in their reviews is whether the player in question supports drag and drop and whether you can successfully organize, create playlists on the device itself. "Syncing" is a nice feature to have of course but with drive sizes increasing the way they are on portable devices it isn't relevant to the average joe much longer.

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #266 of 613
Something DAP reviewers never seem to cover in their reviews is whether the player in question supports drag and drop and whether you can successfully organize, create playlists on the device itself. "Syncing" is a nice feature to have of course but with drive sizes increasing the way they are on portable devices it isn't relevant to the average joe much longer.
Most DAPS i'ved played around with or owned recently have had drag and drop music transfers. I think that is more often the case than not the case. Playlist creation is till kind of jenky on most players IMO.

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #267 of 613
That's good to know. My last (and only) non-apple dap was a Cowon S9. I had INSANE issues with it when I got it years and years ago. I don't even remember how long. The 32Gb model (which was amazing for the time) But as far as I knew there was no such thing as Mediamonkey back then. Foobar MAY have been around but I didn't like it. I still can't get mediamonkey to send it playlists (but honestly playlisting should be controllable on the device.) Interestingly sound-wise it still kicks the crap out of my iPhone 6 when using Jetaudio's BBE setting and I think the iPhone was still an infant back then. Anyway back then it was a nightmare to deal with. I would have to add songs an album at a time and nothing worked right even if it sounded good. I gave up on it until recently. (Works great with Mediamonkey except playlists of course) I'd almost be totally happy with it as-is if it weren't for the stupid proprietary cable and the "dumb-as-a-rock" playlist capability.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #268 of 613

1. I own an iPhone 6s, Cowon J3, and FIIO X3II. The X3II is noticeably better sounding than the IPhone or the Cowon. As for usability, the X3II is very usable. As for how usable the X3III is, that depends on the firmware. There are still some gotchas in the current X3III firmware that will eventually be fixed.

Aug 24, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #269 of 613

When you connect the DAP to the computer, it looks like another drive. So yes, drag/drop does work. So does copy/paste.

Aug 24, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #270 of 613

I've never ever in my entire life even considered using anything else but drag and drop and manually organizing my libraries with folder explorer, Foobar2000 and MP3 TAG, along with renaming the files and converting them, their cover art and such.

\It is something like, this is the most basic approach, every single DAP in this world supports this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back