Fiio x3 vs Fiio x5 or other help please?
Apr 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

headoncollision

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys 
to be clear I am not a hardcore audiophile, I do enjoy high fidelity sound but I don`t own much lossless audio more like high bitrate mp3s, and I do believe that at some point u get a low diminshing return for your money, I know that the x5 is a superior player overall, now there is an offer on amazon for the x3 + connections + 64gb micro sd for 200$ which is a bargain and the x5 is 400$ for some reason and not prices at 350$, anyway I will be using the player mostly outdoors and doing sports with a shure se310 and sennheiser CX685 adidas and sometimes using it with my denon ah-d5000, the reason I am asking this because spending 400$ on a portable player is kinda alot and
I want to know how much better the x5 actually is in terms of sound quality? for the headphones I have( I might upgrade to shure se5xx in the future)  and the music I play ( mostly high bitrate mp3) I was considering the E18 DAC/AMP and pair it with my android phone but honestly I want an all in one player that is solely listening that I don`t have to connect and disconnect, which I will leave my headphones connected to all the time. 
I am not limited to only these options I have seen the ibasso and I would welcome any opinions and suggestions.
I am really hesitant to buy the x3 because of the outdated UI. your suggestions are well appreciated. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 44
About the sound quality, X5 is a big step from X3. But i think it based on ur taste cause X5 sound more neutral and detail with a big soundstage but X3 give u a lot of bass less detail and narrow soundstage. Somebody will like the bass on X3 over the X5. It's better if u can try both before u get one. But i think u should give X3 a try it cheaper and u can upgrade later.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 44
thanks for the reply, for my headphones will the x5 make much of a different, and how better the x3 is from say sonywalkman or ipod classic, I am really not digging the wheel on the x5 and prefer physical bottoms.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 44
  thanks for the reply, for my headphones will the x5 make much of a different, and how better the x3 is from say sonywalkman or ipod classic, I am really not digging the wheel on the x5 and prefer physical bottoms.

I didn't try ur headphone so i cant sure but X5' seperation is super so if u want detail it will suit u better than X3. I sure u will hear a different but i cant sure u will like it 
Compare with Sony Z, F X3 got a musical sound when Z, F sound something like digital. It's my opinion i found X3 and X5 sound more neutral than Z, F. But Sony F give u better detail and soundstage than X3
I didn't like Ipod classic. I found it too flat but it depend on ppl's taste somebody will like it over the X3

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 44
  I didn't try ur headphone so i cant sure but X5' seperation is super so if u want detail it will suit u better than X3. I sure u will hear a different but i cant sure u will like it 
Compare with Sony Z, F X3 got a musical sound when Z, F sound something like digital. It's my opinion i found X3 and X5 sound more neutral than Z, F. But Sony F give u better detail and soundstage than X3
I didn't like Ipod classic. I found it too flat but it depend on ppl's taste somebody will like it over the X3

problem with sony walkman is that they don`t have a headphone amp, the surprisingly the se310 sound like a totally different headphones when I listen to them through my e11, so one of the reasons I am sold on the x3 and x5 is the that they do have headphones amp, u literally don`t have to worry about any ear-buds with this solution being under powered, I totally agree with u on the ipod classic being flat, I owned a sony walkman before and when I got the ipod I was like why its so ..... boring 
basshead.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 44
I actually like the sound of x3 more than x5. It is a touch warmer. The vocal is softer (more emotional maybe). X5 is more vibrant.

thanks for the input, this is kinda encouraging, do u mind telling me what sort of headphones are using with the x3, and it seems like your the only one who thinks the x3 sound better, how bad is the x3 ui compared to the x5

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 44
You should wait till all the reviews are out for the DX90.

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 44
You should wait till all the reviews are out for the DX90.

thanks for the headsup, I didn`t know there was a DX90 coming, looks promising but it seems it will be priced more than 400$, besides I really can`t wait any more, maybe future upgrade after 1 year 

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #12 of 44
thanks for the input, this is kinda encouraging, do u mind telling me what sort of headphones are using with the x3, and it seems like your the only one who thinks the x3 sound better, how bad is the x3 ui compared to the x5

I am using IE80 now. The UI for x5 is better than x3. However, the UI for x3 is actually not bad comparing to iBasso, colorfly and other chinese dap brand. It is quite responsive. The main problem about the x3 is gapless playback but I don't use this function at all so I am not affected. I heard that Fiio is working on a new firmware for x3. Also, the button arrangememt on x3 might take a bit of time to get used to.

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #13 of 44
I haven't compared them side by side, but I was able to borrow an X3 for a few days and have now owned the X5 for 3 days and imo the X5 offers better value than the X3 based already on sound quality/price ratio alone. For more details you can check out my posting in the X5 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/6675#post_10446008

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 44
I am using IE80 now. The UI for x5 is better than x3. However, the UI for x3 is actually not bad comparing to iBasso, colorfly and other chinese dap brand. It is quite responsive. The main problem about the x3 is gapless playback but I don't use this function at all so I am not affected. I heard that Fiio is working on a new firmware for x3. Also, the button arrangememt on x3 might take a bit of time to get used to

these are nice earpuds, I am further leaning toward the x3, I which i have a chance to try both, unfortunately I am shipping overseas so once its here I am sticking to it.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #15 of 44
  I haven't compared them side by side, but I was able to borrow an X3 for a few days and have now owned the X5 for 3 days and imo the X5 offers better value than the X3 based already on sound quality/price ratio alone. For more details you can check out my posting in the X5 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/6675#post_10446008

thanks for the link I have read your post, problem is currently the x5 is 400$ add 40$ for a 64gb and you end up paying 440 total, I would have picked it if it was 350$ but amazon sellers have it at 400$ and I am using a gift card for purchase to it`s a bit of a stretch on the other hand the x3 with 64gb microsd card and 2 connections is at 200$ which is a real value. since you already tried both, as I mentioned at the begining of the post, most of my tracks are not lossless and my taste in music is mostly dubstep, hiphop and rock. and I must say I love bass but without losing details. the problem is I don`t want to spend 200$ and end up with a player that I Might not find any much improvement on from the x3. not to mention that the wheel on the x5 is raising a durability question in my head, I always prefer bottoms, I might be wrong but I am going to be using the player while doing sport and running, and general outdoor activity thats why I prefer the x3 and the x5 over sony cuz part of the package is ruggedness.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back