Fiio X3 vs Fiio X5: A matter of sound...
Jun 20, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #31 of 59
Oh BTW, this is one expensive hobby.

you got that right, but trust me not as expensive as automobile related hobbies, especially when you get into tuning your ride engine and parts, I mainly use the x3 outdoors and while running so the x5 was a bit heavy for me and the wheel put me off, but then again I am an entry level audiophile and tend to keep it this way, once I obsess over something I end up spending all my money on it so yeah :)

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #32 of 59
I picked up an X5, used, a few days ago and have owned the X3 since last August. I have the X3 on firmware 3.0 and the X5 on firmware 2.0 still. May soon try one of the beta firmwares now available. To me there really is no contest. The X5 despite being a little less warm sounding and definitely lighter in the bass is just so much more refined and natural sounding than the X3,whatever firmware you happen to be on at the time. There is more decay to the trailing edges of notes, there is a higher level of tonal correctness to instruments. Guitar sound more like real guitar, piano sounds more like real piano. The cello sounds more like a real cello. The soundstage of the X5 has more depth and width to it. There is a significant increase in clarity without adding any harshness or stridency and the background is so much quieter than the X3. I loved my X3, but this is a whole other level of performance and frankly I find it difficult to understand how anyone who has had time to compare the two could hear it any differently. Now using NAD Viso HP50 headphones.

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #33 of 59
Just bought the Fiio X3 on the basis of this and other reviews. Paired with my Senn HD 25 1/II or AKG K550, the device produces a whole new level of engagement with quality source music. Take Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, for instance. Breathing is apparent in the Pharell Williams vocals, as well as overtones. Not having any mechanism to measure, it seems dynamic range is much greater meaning that you can hear both changes in music volume and much more detailed contribution of instruments that are not blended together in a mushy audio 'stew'. I upgraded to version 3 of the firmware, which I eventually coaxed into recognising a 64G micro SD card. The UI is not up to Apple's iPod / iOS standard, but the audio quality far exceeds anything Apple produces so, despite its operating system foibles, I recommend highly the X3 as a quality audio device.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #34 of 59
  Just bought the Fiio X3 on the basis of this and other reviews. Paired with my Senn HD 25 1/II or AKG K550, the device produces a whole new level of engagement with quality source music. Take Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, for instance. Breathing is apparent in the Pharell Williams vocals, as well as overtones. Not having any mechanism to measure, it seems dynamic range is much greater meaning that you can hear both changes in music volume and much more detailed contribution of instruments that are not blended together in a mushy audio 'stew'. I upgraded to version 3 of the firmware, which I eventually coaxed into recognising a 64G micro SD card. The UI is not up to Apple's iPod / iOS standard, but the audio quality far exceeds anything Apple produces so, despite its operating system foibles, I recommend highly the X3 as a quality audio device.

Ahhh, the exact set-up I will be using if I buy a Fiio X3/5. In your opinion does the sound stage become much wider than that of an iPod? I'm currently using an iPod Touch 5G with Senn HD 25i-II and I am really dissatisfied with the SQ and soundstage of it. Hoping that buying an X3/5 will be a huge upgrade 
eek.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #35 of 59

Ahhh, the exact set-up I will be using if I buy a Fiio X3/5. In your opinion does the sound stage become much wider than that of an iPod? I'm currently using an iPod Touch 5G with Senn HD 25i-II and I am really dissatisfied with the SQ and soundstage of it. Hoping that buying an X3/5 will be a huge upgrade 
eek.gif

Well, the amount of improvement you are likely to hear going from the 5G, which I have access to (my Daughters), and the X3, which I use to own, will depend largely on the type of files you will be using on the device. The higher the quality of the files the more improvement you will likely hear.

I am always leery of those extolling "HUGE" differences in sound quality between two similar devices. Yes, certainly I feel the X3 is a worthwhile upgrade from the i-Pod 5G depending somewhat on the type of files as I mentioned earlier, but to say it is a huge improvement would be a matter of perspective in my opinion. Personally I find that many undervalue the importance of even subtle sound quality improvements from one device to another. To me these types of improvements are much more tangible and significant over the long haul. My advice would be to not underestimate the importance of small and subtle sound quality improvements. This should not be construed as me implying that the improvement from the 5G to the X3 is subtle.

BTW, I am now using the X5.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #36 of 59
  Well, the amount of improvement you are likely to hear going from the 5G, which I have access to (my Daughters), and the X3, which I use to own, will depend largely on the type of files you will be using on the device. The higher the quality of the files the more improvement you will likely hear.

I am always leery of those extolling "HUGE" differences in sound quality between two similar devices. Yes, certainly I feel the X3 is a worthwhile upgrade from the i-Pod 5G depending somewhat on the type of files as I mentioned earlier, but to say it is a huge improvement would be a matter of perspective in my opinion. Personally I find that many undervalue the importance of even subtle sound quality improvements from one device to another. To me these types of improvements are much more tangible and significant over the long haul. My advice would be to not underestimate the importance of small and subtle sound quality improvements. This should not be construed as me implying that the improvement from the 5G to the X3 is subtle.

BTW, I am now using the X5.

Most of my files are ALAC or 320 kbps on my iPod. My main concern is with the soundstage of the iPod, I recently purchased a cMoyBB 2.03 thinking that it would vastly improve the SS when using iPod-> cMoy-> Senn HD25i-II but I just realized that this issue was not rooted in amplification but the DAC. Comparing it to Laptop->Dragonfly->Senn drastically improved the SQ and SS and I was hoping to replicate that with the DAC in the X3/5

But yes, i do agree and acknowledge the importance of subtle improvements in SQ as you mentioned. I just hoped that the X3/5 had a (perhaps, subtle) improvement in SS. As of now I feel the mids sound very muffled, bass low, and all sound focused in the center. Just to clarify, is it the IpoD touch 5G DAC that most members on head-fi acknowledge as the "best" SQ for ipods?

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #38 of 59
  Does the X5 have any benefits in sound quality over the X3 when used with low resolution recordings ( cd rip's)? 

I wouldn't characterize CD rips as low resolution, well depending on how they are ripped and what format you are ripping them to. If you use a good quality ripping software like EAC or DB Poweramp, ripping into Flac or WAV, these will be indistinguishable from the original source recording as long as the settings in the rippers software are correct. Low resolution files would be MP3 at lower than 320kbps.

To answer your question,yes, in my opinion there is a benefit to the X5 over the X3 when using 16bit 44.1khz CD based rips.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #39 of 59
Thank for your answer. Yes, indeed i was referring to 16 bit 44.1khz ripped as a flac file.
Please allow me an other question: will the x5 have a benefit in sound quality over the x3 considering i only listen to string quartets / chamber music?
So quit limited dynamic range and a max of four instruments. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #40 of 59
Thank for your answer. Yes, indeed i was referring to 16 bit 44.1khz ripped as a flac file.
Please allow me an other question: will the x5 have a benefit in sound quality over the x3 considering i only listen to string quartets / chamber music?
So quit limited dynamic range and a max of four instruments. 

I think you would be happy with either one. If you are looking for a lot of detail and instrument seperation than the X5 is your DAP.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #41 of 59
I have an X3,which I'm absolutely loving. It's a great device, and I prefer it to my zx1 for the sound. zx1 has it beat in every other aspect, but the sound of the X3 is ideal for me. A friend is going to lend me his X5 next week or so, plan on seeing which is better. The form factor of the 3 is perfect for me as well. Easy to use at work or at gym. zx1 I feel I need a separate amp, which obviously makes the device a brick.

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #43 of 59
Arrrrggh! What to do :)

VModa M100 + E12 with X3 or X5 :-/

Might just have to buy both and test! :)

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #44 of 59
Arrrrggh! What to do :)

VModa M100 + E12 with X3 or X5 :-/

Might just have to buy both and test! :)

X5.

I owned the X3 with the m-100 and the X5 is the better DAP.

Easily.

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #45 of 59
X5.

I owned the X3 with the m-100 and the X5 is the better DAP.

Easily.

Wicked cheers! How about the DX90? Had a chance to listen to that with the m100s at all? I'm now looking at x5 or dx90 lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back