FiiO X3 Review
Jul 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #31 of 238
If your collection is encoded with the DSP Replay gain already, it will auto level to that same level.

But of course, this is with dbpoweramp and foobar, not sure about other programs. 

But yeah, the later is what I thought/another option to pursue. In the sense of encoding all your music with replay gain so that it auto sets to a stable volume.

ClieOS said that its not supported on the X3 when I asked in the X3 thread:

volume normalizer is not supported

So I'm confused. You are saying it is enabled automatically on the X3 and the X3 is normalizing the sound if a replaygain tag is available ? Or are you trying to tell me how to use it? I KNOW how to use it :)

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #32 of 238
Quote:

Does Fiio E12 really improve the original X3's sound stage & separation in significant amount?

I would say that it does so a fair bit considering I heard it quite nicely, but of course, as is anything, if you don't have a side by side comparison, you won't notice it was there.

Quote:
ClieOS said that its not supported on the X3 when I asked in the X3 thread:
So I'm confused. You are saying it is enabled automatically on the X3 and the X3 is normalizing the sound if a replaygain tag is available ? Or are you trying to tell me how to use it? I KNOW how to use it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, replaygain tag is what you are talking about. Yeah, that isn't supported.

There is a DSP/option when I encode files that lets me actually set a replaygain onto each track so that it encodes the new file with the normalized audio already. Not a tag, a real normalized audio that is already lowered or raised to it's 'normalization' levels. That could be an option for you.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #33 of 238
Great review, but you haven't addressed one of the most important issues: how the X3 handles gapless playback. 

I realize the X3 is not capable of playing any file format gapless in file browser mode (which is a real shame).  However, there was a report from someone in the main X3 that it was not able to play play gapless correctly in the supported Album play mode with tagged FLAC files.  He stated that there was still a brief gap in between tracks. 

Have you tested gapless playback with FLAC, mp3, and APE files, and what was the result? 

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #34 of 238
Quote:
Great review, but you haven't addressed one of the most important issues: how the X3 handles gapless playback. 

I realize the X3 is not capable of playing any file format gapless in file browser mode (which is a real shame).  However, there was a report from someone in the main X3 that it was not able to play play gapless correctly in the supported Album play mode with tagged FLAC files.  He stated that there was still a brief gap in between tracks. 

Have you tested gapless playback with FLAC, mp3, and APE files, and what was the result? 

I had that in mind, the problem is however, that I don't have any songs with gapless tags nor do I currently have knowledge about how it works

If someone wants to send me some legal gapless ones to try, then I'll try it.

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #35 of 238
There is a DSP/option when I encode files that lets me actually set a replaygain onto each track so that it encodes the new file with the normalized audio already. Not a tag, a real normalized audio that is already lowered or raised to it's 'normalization' levels. That could be an option for you.

Yeah, I don't want to do that.

1) Every other audio device/player setup I have has replaygain support: phone, tablets, desktop computers, laptops, mp3 player, htpc. So I'll try it and see if I can live without it. If not, I'll sell the X3.
2) Probably 15 to 20% of my collection is high bitrate mp3s and I'm not going to decode and re-encode them and reduce the audio quality.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #36 of 238
Quote:

1) Every other audio device/player setup I have has replaygain support: phone, tablets, desktop computers, laptops, mp3 player, htpc. So I'll try it and see if I can live without it. If not, I'll sell the X3.
2) Probably 15 to 20% of my collection is high bitrate mp3s and I'm not going to decode and re-encode them and reduce the audio quality.

I know exactly how you feel about Replaygain. I have one device that does not support it (Cowon X9) and shuffle play simply is not an option. For me that is OK, I just use that player to listen to complete albums, and if I want to shuffle I have other players I can use. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #37 of 238
Quote:

I thought so, well just a theory 
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #38 of 238
I thought so, well just a theory 
wink.gif

I know exactly how you feel about Replaygain. I have one device that does not support it (Cowon X9) and shuffle play simply is not an option. For me that is OK, I just use that player to listen to complete albums, and if I want to shuffle I have other players I can use. 

Well, I added a poll. I thought it would be interesting to see whether or not this is an important feature for people. Or whether or not I'm just coming across as a whiner (lol).

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #39 of 238
Well, I added a poll. I thought it would be interesting to see whether or not this is an important feature for people. Or whether or not I'm just coming across as a whiner (lol).

Would help if I shared the link to the poll.:xf_eek:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/671856/is-volume-normalizing-via-replaygain-on-a-dap-an-important-feature-to-you

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #40 of 238
Is volume control an option when you go digital out? Also, the adapter cable is it 3.5mm to rca?

Thorough and well written review.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #41 of 238
Is volume control an option when you go digital out? Also, the adapter cable is it 3.5mm to rca?

Thorough and well written review.

When using Coaxilal output(digital) or line out. EQ and Volume do not work as the pre amp is not engaged in that option.

Yes, the Digital Coaxial adapter cable is 3.5mm to RCA Digital Coaxial specification

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #42 of 238
As I know it, only lossy formats need an actual tag or encoding process to be made Gapless. Lossless doesn't and is already gapless by default in them flowing.

If this is so, then I am having the same issue as another previous user with it.

The X3 has a slight quarter to half second delay to the loading of each and every single track after.

It does not seem like Gapless will work as of this moment due to the way the X3 operates in loading the next song. It seems like its not fast enough.

Edit:
I split a song of mine in half with Audacity so that it connects the two. Exported as FLAC, and ID3 tagged them all. Put them on my X3, updated library and had Gapless turned on. I then played the two tracks with Album view, and it seems Gapless still doesn't work sadly.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #43 of 238
Quote:
Edit:
I split a song of mine in half with Audacity so that it connects the two. Exported as FLAC, and ID3 tagged them all. Put them on my X3, updated library and had Gapless turned on. I then played the two tracks with Album view, and it seems Gapless still doesn't work sadly.

This is really unfortunate.  :frowning2:

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #45 of 238
Thanks for review Bowei. Looks like i'll just wait till FiiO release more info about X5, with some renders at least. Gonna watch how they'll handle firmware updates for X3 in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back