FiiO X3 mod - AD8397 to AD8620
Jul 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #47 of 263
Quote:
Will James (Fiio) consider to use ADA4896 for the new production batch of X3? 
confused.gif

I doubt that. FiiO picks AD8397 not just because it outputs a lot of power (more than any opamp that I know of. In fact, more than some buffer), but also offers a warmish sound. They thought a warmer sound is more suitable for the mainstream users, which is their targeted group of buyer.

Quote:
ClieOS, but in your opinion what is better to use the opamp to modify FiiO X3: AD8620, ADA4896 or AD8066?

By spec, ADA4896 seems to be the best. I have no experience with ADA4896 so I really can't say for sure. AD8066 will be the second choice (by spec). I pick AD8620 over AD8066 because I know I like AD8620 better, and it should be enough for my headphone. It is really hard to say for sure until you solder the opamp in as you can't really keep changing the opamp. Every time you desolder / solder an opamp, you will inflict more and more damage onto the PCB. So there is no easy way to try out all the opamp.

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #48 of 263
Quote:

I doubt that. FiiO picks AD8397 not just because it outputs a lot of power (more than any opamp that I know of. In fact, more than some buffer), but also offers a warmish sound. They thought a warmer sound is more suitable for the mainstream users, which is their targeted group of buyer.

By spec, ADA4896 seems to be the best. I have no experience with ADA4896 so I really can't say for sure. AD8066 will be the second choice (by spec). I pick AD8620 over AD8066 because I know I like AD8620 better, and it should be enough for my headphone. It is really hard to say for sure until you solder the opamp in as you can't really keep changing the opamp. Every time you desolder / solder an opamp, you will inflict more and more damage onto the PCB. So there is no easy way to try out all the opamp.

Now I can understand the reason.Thanks ClieOS. 

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #49 of 263
Quote:
Will James (Fiio) consider to use ADA4896 for the new production batch of X3? 
confused.gif

I wouldn't hold your breath.  But other companies, like VentureCraft, have had success with small batch/limited edition runs of their product, with minor changes like different opamps...

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #52 of 263
Quote:
can the AD8397 be avoided by using the amp bypass lineout of the x3?

I think I mentioned it before, AD8397 only affects the headphone-out. If you use line-out, there is no need for mod.

Quote:
ClieOS, in opamp ADA4896 socket MSOP-8. It is exactly suitable for modification?

Can you talk about the opamp ADA4898-2?

MSOP-8 is pin compatible with SOP8 but comes in a smaller package. If you are good with SMD soldering you can bend the legs slightly and solder a MSOP-8 IC to a SOP-8 pad. It will require some skill and probably not for the faint of heart.

ADA4898-2 look nice overall. But I am not sure if the epad soldering (which you can't do with a soldering iron) is required or not as the IC seems to run better with proper heat dispensation. It doesn't seem like an easy drop-in option as there are mentioning of circuit optimization for using this chip.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #53 of 263
ClieOS, say, ADA4896 can be installed instead of the AD8397 without intervention into the scheme of the device? It is only necessary to unsolder the AD8397, and solder the ADA4896?

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #54 of 263
Quote:
ClieOS, say, ADA4896 can be installed instead of the AD8397 without intervention into the scheme of the device? It is only necessary to unsolder the AD8397, and solder the ADA4896?

Not just ADA4896. If you want to replace the AD8397 with any other opamp, you will of course need to remove / desolder it first. After that it is just a matter of carefully soldering the new opamp in. The tricky bit is of course ADA4896 is smaller so you need to be extra careful that the individual leg doesn't short circuit / touch other non-intended pad. As far as pins go, they are compatible according to the data sheet.

Also, I haven't tried ADA4896 myself to say how it will sound. It is merely the suggestion from FiiO R&D team as a possible alternative of AD8397.

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #55 of 263
Thanks for sharing, although the thought of desoldering such a small op-amp really scare me.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #56 of 263
It's definitely not a project for someone who has never worked with surface mount stuff before. Even for someone that has, desoldering can be a pain if you don't have the proper tools. If you can be destructive, then it's easier. If you're trying to save the chip, the "simplest" method is probably to buy some "desoldering" solder (I forget the proper name of the stuff, but it basically lowers the melting temperature of the solder quite a bit once it's mixed in). Now you'll have a few seconds rather than a split second to move the chip once you've heated the pins. Heck, I think you might even be able to do it with a heat gun. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #57 of 263
Quote:
It's definitely not a project for someone who has never worked with surface mount stuff before. Even for someone that has, desoldering can be a pain if you don't have the proper tools. If you can be destructive, then it's easier. If you're trying to save the chip, the "simplest" method is probably to buy some "desoldering" solder (I forget the proper name of the stuff, but it basically lowers the melting temperature of the solder quite a bit once it's mixed in). Now you'll have a few seconds rather than a split second to move the chip once you've heated the pins. Heck, I think you might even be able to do it with a heat gun. 

I've done it before but not with smaller op-amp such as this.  Thanks for your input though.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #59 of 263
Well...  I'm thinking that I have phones that are bright at times and I have phones that aren't so bright at times.. and depending on what I'm listening to I chose the phones to match my listening mood...

So for versatility I'm thinking to keep the X3 stock when I need the warmer output to the phones and when I need to get a neutral output to the phones I'll just plug in the O2 to the X3 output...

I can't wait to plug the X3 into a Woo 
beyersmile.png

Now if my wallet can stand the outflow for the FLAC files... 

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #60 of 263
Was at a mini meet the other days. We let people blind listen to both mod'ed and stock X3, then decide which one they like better. I think almost everyone agree the mod'ed X3 sounds more balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back