FiiO X3 coaxial in?
May 31, 2015 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

landroni

500+ Head-Fier
The FiiO X3 1st gen manual mentions that the player has a Coaxial Out.

"Coaxial Out:
Outputs coaxial digital signal to devices with coaxial digital input."

But is it possible that it would also work as a Coaxial In?

I have a TV that has Digital Audio Out (I suspect it's coaxial) and I'd like to input that to the X3 via its coaxial entry and use the X3 as a DAC.

Would this work?

May 31, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 10
I have trouble imagining it has that capability, or they would advertise it. You could always ask here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 10

Or at least label it as more than just an output.

Yeah, I think you're both right. But I suspect I found a solution: FiiO TAISHAN-D03K

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/7

It's a "Digital Audio Analog Converter", and it's quite cheap.

Do you think it's appropriate for my usecase? Namely: Take TV with Digital Audio Out (coaxial) and input that to the D03K and then use its Line Out to plug to speakers/headphones (or an amp like the E12DIY).

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 10
Yeah, I think you're both right. But I suspect I found a solution: FiiO TAISHAN-D03K

Do you think it's appropriate for my usecase? Namely: Take TV with Digital Audio Out (coaxial) and input that to the D03K and then use its Line Out to plug to speakers/headphones (or an amp like the E12DIY).

That has a line output--no headphone amp. So not good for headphones unless you get a headphone amp, too. But it would work with powered speakers OK.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 10

But I suspect I found a solution: FiiO TAISHAN-D03K

Yes, you can hook that up to a headphone amp or speaker amp, whichever one you need. However, if you don't have that nor the headamp yet, at the price you'll end up spending for both new you might want to consider getting a one-box DAC-HPamp and you won't have to deal with the messy wiring either. Either save up for an AudioGD NFB-15, or maybe grab a used Ibasso D12 for example (or anything with coaxial input).

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 10
That has a line output--no headphone amp. So not good for headphones unless you get a headphone amp, too. But it would work with powered speakers OK.

Good catch on the "no direct headphone" connection. But this isn't a dealbreaker for me (want to use with speakers mainly, and if need be can connect an amp).

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 10

Yes, you can hook that up to a headphone amp or speaker amp, whichever one you need. However, if you don't have that nor the headamp yet, at the price you'll end up spending for both new you might want to consider getting a one-box DAC-HPamp and you won't have to deal with the messy wiring either. Either save up for an AudioGD NFB-15, or maybe grab a used Ibasso D12 for example (or anything with coaxial input).

Good points. I already have an E12DIY, so if needed I can use my existing HP amp with the combo. For now though I'm just interested in a cheap-ish DAC, and with FiiO they usually punch above the weight when it comes to packing value in a given price tag. The wiring may be a bitch, but oh well --- so is much of the audiophile world. In short, I just want to bypass this horrible, horrible DAC that they embedded in the TV set.

As for a fancier DAC solution, a Centrance M8 sounds enticing, but maybe later on.

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 10
That has a line output--no headphone amp. So not good for headphones unless you get a headphone amp

Actually, I've just tested the D03K with a pair of Grado SR225i, and they work just fine. So Taishan seems to have an internal amp, however small, as explained in this article:

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/inside-fiio-d3/

So it looks like D03K comes with:
Cirrus CS8416 SPDIF receiver
Cirrus Logic CS4344 DAC
TI LMV358 opamp

So in this sense the Line Out isn't a traditional, non-amplified analogue signal (like, say, in the X3). I'm wondering though why FiiO's marketing says "using Line Output directly on headphone is not recommended"? Can this damage the headphones?

In any case, I've now tested the D03K as a replacement for my TV's horrible internal DAC using a cheapish coaxial cable, and the results are impressive. The improvement is clearly heard, even with subpar speakers. And I'm unlikely to be using anything truly audiophile grade via the TV, so for its purpose, size and price tag (30$) the D03K is perfect.

A number of caveats though:

- some people report that D03K may be prone to overheating when plugged in constantly for prolonged periods (years, not days); good idea to let it cool from time to time
- it supports only PCM, and cannot decode Dolby or DTS (wonder how it fares with DVD's?)

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 10
That has a line output--no headphone amp. So not good for headphones unless you get a headphone amp

Actually, I've just tested the D03K with a pair of Grado SR225i, and they work just fine. So Taishan seems to have an internal amp, however small, as explained in this article:

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/inside-fiio-d3/

So it looks like D03K comes with:
Cirrus CS8416 SPDIF receiver
Cirrus Logic CS4344 DAC
TI LMV358 opamp

My Xonar DX doesn't have a headphone amp, and I can hook headphones up to that. I am sure it has some kind of op amp in it. But if you are happy, that's all that matters :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back