FiiO X1 upgrade?
Nov 21, 2015 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

seanwee

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently own a FiiO X1 and i am looking forward to upgrade to a better dap as i now have some money to spend.

Output is not a concern as i am using 12 ohm iems.
Please state the price of the daps you guys recommend !!! THX!!!

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 29
What are your needs in a DAP besides just having the money to upgrade?  Do you need more storage, DAC function, or other features?  What's your budget?  Just a few questions I have before making a recommendation.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 29
budget is maybe up to $250

I'm looking for better sound quality and native dsd support.Dac function would be a nice extra but not necessary.

Other features....... depends.......

Most importantly I want cleaner, more transparent and neutral sound.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 29
budget is maybe up to $250

I'm looking for better sound quality and native dsd support.Dac function would be a nice extra but not necessary.

Other features....... depends.......

Most importantly I want cleaner, more transparent and neutral sound.

FiiO X3II fits your bill and budget.  X3II is pretty flat and neutral.  Supports dsd and can be used as a USB DAC.  You also get the added benefit of USB OTG and basically makes storage limitless.  I upgraded to the X3II and couldn't be happier.

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 29
  What are your needs in a DAP besides just having the money to upgrade?  Do you need more storage, DAC function, or other features?  What's your budget?  Just a few questions I have before making a recommendation.

Yeah it was pretty obvious that you were going to recommend the FiiO X3 2nd gen.

Also your inventory 

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 29
Besides i dont really need the built in amp in the X3 2nd gen as im mostly using low impedance iems when on the go.

I only use high impedance cans when at home.

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 29
You're going to get a bigger amp section regardless of what model you get (FiiO, Ibasso, etc) because these models offer it.  I'll admit the FiiO isn't for everyone, but if you have an X1 and like it, chances are you'll like the X3II.  I think if you read through the Ibasso threads, you'll see the are issue with it as well (FW, sound changes, battery life).  It's your money, get what you want.  You'll be hard pressed to find something in your budget that offers as much as the X3II (features you want, customer service).  Do a little more digging into those other products and see what you find.  I looked at the DX50 when shopping and the DX50 thread convinced me to stay away from it.  Others don't offer the storage capabilities of the X3II (Hadiz is 64gig max for example).  $250 won't get you an AK...just saying.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 29
 My 100th post yaay!!!
dt880smile.png

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides i dont really need the built in amp in the X3 2nd gen as im mostly using low impedance iems when on the go.

The only way to spend way more on a DAP but without a stronger amp (which is kind of the point when Fiio did the X1 - smaller DAP, smaller battery, but same battery life due to lower output and simpler circuit) is to buy an older generation Astell & Kern used or NOS. The new ones have balanced output capable amplifiers already.

Just make sure you don't get the very first version of the AK100 since the output impedance is too high for many IEMs.

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 29

The only way to spend way more on a DAP but without a stronger amp (which is kind of the point when Fiio did the X1 - smaller DAP, smaller battery, but same battery life due to lower output and simpler circuit) is to buy an older generation Astell & Kern used or NOS. The new ones have balanced output capable amplifiers already.

Just make sure you don't get the very first version of the AK100 since the output impedance is too high for many IEMs.

Can you give any examples of the bold and italic words.

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you give any examples of the bold and italic words.

Used - you might find it in the classifieds of audiophile forums, eBay, etc

NOS - new old stock; some retailers might still have them (see below)

Older generation Astell & Kern players with lower output amplifiers (and more compact bodies) as per your requirements, but as per my prior point, still over your $250 budget unless you find them used and really cheap:
Astell & Kern AK100 with 20ohm output impedance : http://www.aloaudio.com/ak100
Astell & Kern AK100 MkII (with low output impedance amplifier) : http://www.aloaudio.com/ak100-mk2q

New generation Astell & Kern players with higher output, balanced drive capable amplifers, two in larger chassis, with the Jr in a thinner chassis (vs the older generation) and more powerful amp:
http://www.aloaudio.com/shop/astell-kern-ak-jr
http://www.aloaudio.com/shop/astell-kern-ak100-ii
http://www.aloaudio.com/shop/astell-kern-ak120-ii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back