FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Jan 16, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #1,922 of 3,121

No, but something inexpensive shouldn’t necessarily yield some of the histrionics within this thread which makes it sound like a little device needing updates destroyed lives.

To my way of thinking sometimes it takes histrionics on the part of consumers before companies change their ways.  One could argue that Fiio like most Chinese DAP makers are guilty of false advertising when they release their products with missing, non-operational or features that simply don't work as advertised.  They should be forced to put labels on their products warning consumers that their products may ship with missing or non-working features.  Let the consumer know they may have to wait for future updates before certain features are usable.  That way they won't get frustrated trying to use features that simply aren't working.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #1,923 of 3,121

No, but something inexpensive shouldn’t necessarily yield some of the histrionics within this thread which makes it sound like a little device needing updates destroyed lives.

​Not so.

If you are promised some thing at a price point and they do not deliver you have every right to be upset.  You call this "histrionics". Of course I have no pig in this mud bath but then I did not buy one.   Yet.  Those that did have every right to be upset.  It is not the end of the world, but it may well be the end of people trusting FiiO.  They do have a fiduciary responsibility to the people that bought their lie. 

Me?  I have been using my phone more and more for music.  It pretty much gets the job done and as for sound quality, it is fine.  I do not need a new DAP, but I want one.  But that could change soon and not just for me.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #1,924 of 3,121

I agree!

For an 100$ device, it works as intended and even better than this!

There is x3ii which is not much more expensive but works much better, perfect even!

Maybe we should all have more patience and understanding that an 100$ device released with so many features maybe, just maybe takes a bit more time to develop.

To be honest, x3ii and x5ii and x5 weren't much faster by default, we made them faster by custom firmware . Ipods and SanDisk and whatever daps are really bad I many aspects but no one complained about them needing rockbox.

I personally tested an 3000$ dap. Believe it or not, I preferred fiio x3ii and x5ii considerably more from all aspects. Not saying that one was bad, but I preferred those other two.

X1ii worked well for me . If I would had had a problem, maybe I would have been similarly angry but I didn't so I will defend my experience and knowledge.

I don't have an x1ii and probably I'm interested only in x5 and x3 series, but when I tested x1 and x1ii, both worked really well.one thing ; all features that were in old x1 seem to work the same. X1ii is not more expensive , at least in here, so there is the chance that you will get new features via upgrades, paid the same and received a better audio quality . So maybe we all won from x1ii existing and we should appreciate the effort that went into developing it...

Has anyone else noticed the sub-par transfer speeds? When copying files the X1ii averages about 2.5 MB/sec. Using the same TF card on the Mrobo C5 it's hovering around 7 MB/sec....

That is normal with all fiio daps .

Most daps on the market even.

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #1,925 of 3,121
I agree!

For an 100$ device, it works as intended and even better than this!

There is x3ii which is not much more expensive but works much better, perfect even!

Maybe we should all have more patience and understanding that an 100$ device released with so many features maybe, just maybe takes a bit more time to develop.

To be honest, x3ii and x5ii and x5 weren't much faster by default, we made them faster by custom firmware . Ipods and SanDisk and whatever daps are really bad I many aspects but no one complained about them needing rockbox.

I personally tested an 3000$ dap. Believe it or not, I preferred fiio x3ii and x5ii considerably more from all aspects. Not saying that one was bad, but I preferred those other two.

X1ii worked well for me . If I would had had a problem, maybe I would have been similarly angry but I didn't so I will defend my experience and knowledge.

I don't have an x1ii and probably I'm interested only in x5 and x3 series, but when I tested x1 and x1ii, both worked really well.one thing ; all features that were in old x1 seem to work the same. X1ii is not more expensive , at least in here, so there is the chance that you will get new features via upgrades, paid the same and received a better audio quality . So maybe we all won from x1ii existing and we should appreciate the effort that went into developing it...

That is normal with all fiio daps .

Most daps on the market even.

You're right actually. The Benjie K9 and XDuoo X2 are about the same speed. For some reason just the C5 is considerably faster. Well that's one 'problem' I can strike off the list. Now am just hoping for general speed improvements in UI, particularly time between manually switching tracks (about 5 seconds) and responsiveness of the volume keys (several seconds after pressing keys before volume level displays on the screen).

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #1,926 of 3,121

I have also tried adding every possible tag and also downsizing album covers, but nothing has changed. 

Dear George P,

We may release a new firmware for the X1II which will fix this issue recently. Sorry for bringing inconvenience to you. Thank you for all the feedback that force the X1II to be better to us. 

Best regards 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 16, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #1,927 of 3,121
You're right actually. The Benjie K9 and XDuoo X2 are about the same speed. For some reason just the C5 is considerably faster. Well that's one 'problem' I can strike off the list. Now am just hoping for general speed improvements in UI, particularly time between manually switching tracks (about 5 seconds) and responsiveness of the volume keys (several seconds after pressing keys before volume level displays on the screen).

Those things really need some attention!

Let's hope they get it fixed as soon as possible !

On x5ii, we would actually make our own lightweight themes or fw versions that would be considerably faster than the default. Similar could be done for x3ii, and those two things were major parts of why the daps were so loved, at least for those of us who actually made the custom fw.

I remember spending a week or so porting the x5ii UI to fist x5 :wink:

Really wish this could be done for x1ii, because I would do it just for the kicks :D

I have no idea why most daps regardless of company making them at this moment have this slow mSD reading speed and at this point I'm too afraid to ask...

Anyways, a slow or laggy UI should be fixed. I have a few pieces of advice but many of you might not like the result much. The laggy UI is generally caused by heavy graphics. To make it lighter we generally used simple, simple simple components and this made it lighter. It was acceptable image wise. Also PNG compression might play a role, they need to decompress all PNG Components for it to not need on the spot PNG decompression because this is very heavy even on an i7 6700k CPU. Even a small factor of PNG compression can result in devastating slow downs in a mobile device.

I might have many other advice but I'm a Python programmer not pure Android and what the tricks I know are pretty general orentied.

Another advice is disabling the laggy features entirely while not in usage. Android loads the entire OS in ram and this causes it to b quite laggy if it has too many modules and components loaded up. This can be achieved by adding an option for something like entirely disable Bluetooth or other features that might be sacrificed for UI speed. Of course, this might be speculation and this might not work on Android, I am another type of programer , not Android OS programmer so there might be some aspects that I'm not the best to ask about .

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #1,929 of 3,121
  Has anyone else noticed the sub-par transfer speeds? When copying files the X1ii averages about 2.5 MB/sec. Using the same TF card on the Mrobo C5 it's hovering around 7 MB/sec....

Dear crabdog,

According to the test by the software team, the transfer speeds of X1II can be about 5.5M/s. We are still improving and letting the speed to be more stable. You may use the card reader for help as well. Sorry if bringing inconvenience to you. Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards  

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 16, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #1,930 of 3,121
Those things really need some attention!

Let's hope they get it fixed as soon as possible !

On x5ii, we would actually make our own lightweight themes or fw versions that would be considerably faster than the default. Similar could be done for x3ii, and those two things were major parts of why the daps were so loved, at least for those of us who actually made the custom fw.

I remember spending a week or so porting the x5ii UI to fist x5
wink.gif

Really wish this could be done for x1ii, because I would do it just for the kicks
biggrin.gif

I have no idea why most daps regardless of company making them at this moment have this slow mSD reading speed and at this point I'm too afraid to ask...

Anyways, a slow or laggy UI should be fixed. I have a few pieces of advice but many of you might not like the result much. The laggy UI is generally caused by heavy graphics. To make it lighter we generally used simple, simple simple components and this made it lighter. It was acceptable image wise. Also PNG compression might play a role, they need to decompress all PNG Components for it to not need on the spot PNG decompression because this is very heavy even on an i7 6700k CPU. Even a small factor of PNG compression can result in devastating slow downs in a mobile device.

I might have many other advice but I'm a Python programmer not pure Android and what the tricks I know are pretty general orentied.

Another advice is disabling the laggy features entirely while not in usage. Android loads the entire OS in ram and this causes it to b quite laggy if it has too many modules and components loaded up. This can be achieved by adding an option for something like entirely disable Bluetooth or other features that might be sacrificed for UI speed. Of course, this might be speculation and this might not work on Android, I am another type of programer , not Android OS programmer so there might be some aspects that I'm not the best to ask about .

Hi @Dobrescu George
Android? isn't the X1ii firmware based on linux?(i think that is what someone here on the thread said)
And about the custom firmwares, did you change the code a lot, or just made small changes?

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #1,931 of 3,121
  Hi @Dobrescu George
Android? isn't the X1ii firmware based on linux?(i think that is what someone here on the thread said)
And about the custom firmwares, did you change the code a lot, or just made small changes?

Hi there! 

I'm not much better with linux either.... Sorry. 

We would mainly change the graphic components of the FW - we had a linux unpacker that would unpack the FW into system files and graphic files which were png files. From there, we would replace the graphic parts with our own designs, draw, process, etc. 

This is how it went for X5 and X5ii and X1.... 

EDIT::: 

Anyone tried to unpack the FW for X1ii so far? 

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #1,932 of 3,121
Forgive me if I ask what might be a daft question - but are the issues with the Bluetooth connectivity something that can be fixed with firmware updates or are they because of problems with the hardware of the device? The stability and strength of the Bluetooth function are the important things for me - I just select shuffle and play the tunes (I have a first gen X1, it's the ability to be wireless that I'm after).

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #1,933 of 3,121
  To my way of thinking sometimes it takes histrionics on the part of consumers before companies change their ways.  

You consistently characterize FiiO as a feckless company putting out inferior wares that will face reckoning day in consumer perdition.  Neither statement is true.  They’re globally successful and one of the more consumer friendly companies, evidenced by their tireless responses to even the most picayune complaints within this thread.   I think there should be appreciation shown for that.

I let an actor friend, a very sophisticated fellow on a top TV show, listen to the FiiO X1 II and he was pleased with the sound and surprised by the low price.  While I agree all the promised functions should be fully operational upon purchase, updates to improve functionality are the norm.  I’m accustomed to them on a variety of products, although auto recalls often annoy me. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #1,934 of 3,121

Hi there! 

I'm not much better with linux either.... Sorry. 

We would mainly change the graphic components of the FW - we had a linux unpacker that would unpack the FW into system files and graphic files which were png files. From there, we would replace the graphic parts with our own designs, draw, process, etc. 

This is how it went for X5 and X5ii and X1.... 

EDIT::: 

Anyone tried to unpack the FW for X1ii so far? 

I have unpacked the firmware. It's based on Yaffs2, but Macs don't have a lot of tools made (I tried to use a compiled version of Yaffey but ended doing it via terminal) , so re-packing the firmware was a problem for me. The graphics are all PNGs, and options and translations are simple text files. nothing out of this world. Maybe in a windows machine the packing process is easier.

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #1,935 of 3,121

I have unpacked the firmware. It's based on Yaffs2, but Macs don't have a lot of tools made (I tried to use a compiled version of Yaffey but ended doing it via terminal) , so re-packing the firmware was a problem for me. The graphics are all PNGs, and options and translations are simple text files. nothing out of the world. Maybe in a windows machine the packing process is easier.

Can you upload the FW files to a dropbox? I might be able to do something with the image files to speed it up (?) 

I can't unpack it directly with the tools that FiiO provided before, the tools only worked for X1, X5, X5ii, X3, etc/ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back